Treating plywood lining prior to carpeting.

CGhic

Hi,
I have made up new plywood panels and am wondering if it's necessary to treat them in some way before attaching carpet? Any advice welcome.

I varnished the edges with spirit based clear. I’d read a few (well lots) of posts about OEM sliding windows leaking and my thinking was sealed edges will stop the ply de laminating should it get wet.

I did all the panels not just those below the sliding windows.

Ian

If I were fitting panels below OEM sliding windows I’d find an alternative to plywood, maybe polycarbonate sheet. If the OEM windows aren’t leaking now they will at some point and the ply will end up impregnated with mould.

This is a great question as I pondered this myself when fitting the floor ply.

Tigerseal'd treated buttons to the floor. Then used 9mm birch ply for the floor itself. I sealed the ply all over using a product widely used in the furniture industry, an Acid Catalyst sealer/lacquer. This is a 2-part product, i.e. you have to mix an activator in correct proportion. Fantastic stuff, fittable dry in an hour, good water/moisture/chemical resistance. Great for mdf as it make the surface & cut edges go rock hard, sands back almost like a glass coating.
Not that expensive, around £60 for 5 liters, Roller it on. Manufacturers? ISF Coatings, Morrells, Fiddes. Intercoat, just Google for "acid catalyst sealer (or lacquer)"

p.s. its a heavy solvent based product, so be prepared, nitrile gloves, ventilation. Will eat the foam on a roller very quickly so have spares.

Last edited:
Back