Travelling to Spain & Portugal

JOT6

Hello,

this summer I’m driving through Portugal and Spain. Never done this before. Last year in France I had to get stickers to say what the emissions are on the van, anyone know if I need anything like that for Spain/Portugal, I can’t see anything?

Also I’m going to stay in Lisbon and maybe drive through Madrid. I can see they have clean air zone restrictions that kick in at certain times, looks like you may get stung with a 2015 transporter, has anyone recently been through these cities, will I get stuck in August going through them?

any help appreciated :)

Jon

Hello,

this summer I’m driving through Portugal and Spain. Never done this before. Last year in France I had to get stickers to say what the emissions are on the van, anyone know if I need anything like that for Spain/Portugal, I can’t see anything?

Also I’m going to stay in Lisbon and maybe drive through Madrid. I can see they have clean air zone restrictions that kick in at certain times, looks like you may get stung with a 2015 transporter, has anyone recently been through these cities, will I get stuck in August going through them?

any help appreciated :)

Jon
We've driven through Spain for the last two summers and never had to display any emissions stickers - just a UK sticker/magnet on the rear of the van.

I don't think they are required in Portugal either but can't speak from experience (though will be able to after this summer is over! ;)).

Don't forget when entering Portugal to buy toll payment card etc as you can't pay at a kiosk and get fined.

Wow, last time I was travelling in Spain and Portugal there was none of the above (2018), hassle free and very friendly.
While Lisbon is an interesting place it’s a f’kin nightmare to drive around, my advice is to dose up on valium and put any spare socks you have over the mirrors, truck drivers regard you as bait, boxed in at every opportunity.
We camped in Lisbon for free parked at the cruise liner terminal, very secure but always busy.
Many underground car parks in central Madrid that won’t take the average Transporter, we parked an hours walk outside, benefits in that you see how the other half live (pretty awful).

You only need that sticker in France if you are visiting specific cities.
I am not aware of a requirement in Portugal or Spain.

Pete

Another tip is to get yourself a Fulli transponder for tolls. It works in France, Spain, Portugal and Italy and is currently free with no management costs.

Back