Travelling to Spain 2024.

This thread gives lots of info on travelling, where to park ,campsites etc in Spain .

Have never had a problem with border forces. I do always try to book a site in advance if more than 2 nights. Annoying if you just turn up, and the office is closed or that it is fully booked. Don't forget that many Dutch, Swede and Brits use Aires to get to their final destination. The Boarder Force can't control the Aires.

I spent 3 months living in my van in Spain last winter, no campsites, just aires, car parks, on the street, etc.
One way ferry booking, didn’t book return until I’d been there 1 month.
Other than that no planning at all.
No issues at all.
My only interactions with the Police in 3 months
1. Telling me I could stay on a beach car park after they moved the mass of Germans in 8m plus MHs with trailers etc.
2. Moving all vans to the edge of a Malaga stadium car park for a football match.
3. Quick look in my van on the way home in Santander ferry port for illegal migrants.
I’m sure the Daily Mail has a hotline for scare stories.

Last edited:
I spent 3 months living in my van in Spain last winter, no campsites, just aires, car parks, on the street, etc.
One way ferry booking, didn’t book return until I’d been there 1 month.
Other than that no planning at all.
No issues at all.
My only interactions with the Police in 3 months
1. Telling me I could stay on a beach car park after they moved the mass of Germans in 8m plus MHs with trailers etc.
2. Moving all vans to the edge of a Malaga stadium car park for a football match.
3. Quick look in my van on the way home in Santander ferry port for illegal migrants.
I’m sure the Daily Mail has a hotline for scare stories.
Absolutely:thumbsup::thumbsup:At the risk of a little light stereotyping; in nearly 40 years of touring Europe for extended periods, I've never found the Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italians anything but accommodating. The Germans & Dutch can be a tad officious, but that's just their way. The Austrians can be obnoxious "Challenging" at times, and I've actually wondered why I bothered going, but it's a lovely country, it just happens to be populated by Austrians. Croatia will be fine once they lose their cold war/iron curtain paranoia, it'll take a couple of generations. Poland is a cracking country, much underrated.
I have no worries about setting off & re-visiting any of the above, and those I haven't already visited. You're hopping across the channel & visiting developed civilised countries, not third world war zones. Just remember you're a visitor in their country, be civil & smile. If you're asked to do something within reason, even if it seems silly & pointless to you, just do it.

Don't forget that many Dutch, Swede and Brits use Aires to get to their final destination
The Netherlands and Sweden are both EU countries and don't have any travel restrictions within its borders. As far as the EU are concerned, us Brits are undesirable aliens nowadays - even more so after October I think it is when the new visa scheme kicks in.

As far as the EU are concerned, us Brits are undesirable aliens nowadays - even more so after October I think it is when the new visa scheme kicks in.
I can’t say I’ve ever felt unwelcome. Spain is highly dependent on tourism, unfortunately as has been seen recently at the expense of the locals much the same as is happening in Cornwall right now.
Lets not forget they are just reacting to what the UK population voted for, too late now to pick and choose which bits we like and don’t like.

I meant the EU as an organisation not the people. TBH, I suspect a lot of this stuff is just about them making a points and I don't blame them in them for doing it.

Just come back from 3 months touring in our van through france and spain .
Everything all good as normal , smiley, happy people (most of them anyway).
LOTS more people camping anywhere and everywhere, on rough ground, beach carparks and the like ignoring all the signs saying not to and i think a lot of the locals are getting upset because of this .
Most of the sites we sayed on were packed to the rafters with long staying germans and dutch travellers that like us choose to get away to the sun while its cold back home but have less limitations on length of stay.

Back