Travelling Chihuahuas

Yogi

We’ve taken our two chihuahuas to Lagos, Portugal a couple of times on driving holidays.

Thought I’d post just in case anyone is contemplating taking their dog(s) to Europe then I’d be happy to share our experiences if it helps anyone.

It’s great fun taking the family pet and a better option for us than having to leave them behind. I’ll add a bit more detail to this post in the very near future about the pros and cons of our experience with our little Mexican snake hunters

Last edited:
Our little chihuahua accompanies us every year on our travels, so much so that his pet passport is now full.
We find that the French are very dog friendly and he is welcomed in restaurants but this is not the case in Spain where dogs are not permitted in restaurants or buses - how is Portugal?

We’ve found Portugal dog friendly and no problem with taking them whoever we go. I did get asked to leave a hypermarket in Spain once which is fair enough I guess given they sold food stuffs. We carry them when we’re out shoppimg and 99% of the time we’ve never had any issues.

Travelled from Portsmouth to Santander with a dog cabin a few times but once we get our T6 we’re going to try the Plymouth/Roscoff route and then spend a few days driving down to Lagos. I like France but never seemed to spend much time in Spain other then drive across it which is a shame

I'm hoping to take our two little dogs on holidays abroad in the future so will follow this thread with interest :)

We go to Portugal and take our dog with us every time without any problems.
There are no problems in Portugal for anyone with dogs, except that you cannot take them into most Restaurants and definitely no Supermarkets, Spain is mainly the same, I know this from living there for just under 30 years.

Back