Travel advice - understanding the quarantine rules...

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi all,

currently enroute from Czech Republic to UK. Will cross over to Germany probably in the morning. will we be okay to get our scheduled Eurotunnel crossing on Monday without quarantine? As we will have left Czech well before the deadline of Saturday?

once we leave Germany we will not leave the van until back in the UK.

particularly asking those with experience of travelling over the last month in similar situations. @Tourershine ?

Many thanks in advance!!

Hi all,

currently enroute from Czech Republic to UK. Will cross over to Germany probably in the morning. will we be okay to get our scheduled Eurotunnel crossing on Monday without quarantine? As we will have left Czech well before the deadline of Saturday?

particularly asking those with experience of travelling over the last month in similar situations. @Tourershine ?

Many thanks in advance!!

PS. have tweeted FCO etc for advice but not sure when/if they will reply.

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!!

As off the .gov website, providing you go straight through a Red Country without coming into contact with anyone, you won't have to quarantine.
To be fair, the borders don't even ask, but I'd suggest filling in the correct documents that they require 48hrs before you hit the tunnel.

As off the .gov website, providing you go straight through a Red Country without coming into contact with anyone, you won't have to quarantine.
To be fair, the borders don't even ask, but I'd suggest filling in the correct documents that they require 48hrs before you hit the tunnel.
Thanks @Tourershine.

my issue is - do I bust a gut and try and get a crossing before Saturday 4am Uk time or am I ok the minute I cross into Germany tomorrow?

it might just be me but I do not find it 100% clear :(

Thanks @Tourershine.

my issue is - do I bust a gut and try and get a crossing before Saturday 4am Uk time or am I ok the minute I cross into Germany tomorrow?

it might just be me but I do not find it 100% clear :(

Leaving Europe back into the UK is irrelevant when, providing you haven't been in a Red Country 14 days before you arrive here and you don't stop in a country thats on the Red list.
If you have been in a country that is on the Red list within the last 14 days, you have to deduct the days you've been out. Very complicated, but here we go...

If you've been in France for instance, for 7 days, then into Germany for the following 7 days, and you drive back across France without stopping and enter the UK, you are now required to quarantine for 7 days, because the other 7 days were outside a Red country. If however you've been in Italy for instance, a country not on our Red list and you stayed there for any amount of days, but still blasted across France without stopping, you are exempt from quarantine..

If the country you are currently in is about to go onto the Red list, providing you are out of that country before our deadline (Saturday at 4am) and into a safe country like Germany, you are not subject to quarantine providing you blast across France without stopping.
But... if you'd of been in a country after Saturday at 4am that went onto the Red list for say 2 days, you'd be subject to full quarantine measures of 14 days.

In conclusion, get your ass out of any bad country and into a good country and stay there until you are crossing, then kick ass across France, straight to the tunnel and boom, your home free.

Got it now?

PS.

The second you cross into Germany tomorrow, you are exempt from quarantine.
Do not poke a wheel over and Red border, or Boris will drop a tracker from Air Force 1, that will stick to your roof, monitor your movements and worst of all, put your Adblue warning light on, even if you don't have Adblue. (According to The BBC)

Last edited:
PS.

The second you cross into Germany tomorrow, you are exempt from quarantine.
Do not poke a wheel over and Red border, or Boris will drop a tracker from Air Force 1, that will stick to your roof, monitor your movements and worst of all, put your Adblue warning light on, even if you don't have Adblue. (According to The BBC)
What you said is what I thought.

Just had this from Simon Calder on Twitter,

URGENT question: currently in Czech but travelling to Germany tomorrow. If I return to UK on Monday do I need to quarantine?

Answer

Yes, the requirement is to be back in the UK by 0400 on Saturday. Otherwise you quarantine for 14 days from the last date you were in Czech Republic (or other no-go nation).

He's incorrect, or he doesn't realise you are in a private vehicle.
If you enter Germany tomorrow and do as I said, you are not subject to quarantine because you left the Czech before the deadline and entered a country not on our list.

Rock and a hard place mate. You and I think the same but the wife thinks otherwise... already drove 400miles today...

tweets added for clarity

0AFB72D6-BA91-40B9-9F3D-0C6151391855.jpegBE2FC3A4-E0B5-404A-AEAB-ACB9F9F20DCE.jpeg

Last edited:

I'm sorry, did Simon Calder think you were 8 years old?
As a fully grown adult, i'm pretty sure I wouldn't need to be informed of 'risk-heavy behaviour' and anyone driving for long periods of time with little or no sleep are well aware of that fact and if they choose to continue regardless, then the responsibility lies solely on their shoulders and not the fault of the government. None of the announcements made by the government are surprises or meant to catch people out, with little time. They warned the instant the corridors were re-opened that they wouldn't hesitate to close them again to protect the UK and they've stood by that.

Sorry, but i'm fed up with reading sob stories about ruined holidays and over priced return tickets that are unfair... Err that's supply and demand and we are in the middle of a pandemic where flair ups are inevitable and only going to get worse before they get better. We go to the local Tesco at our own risk, we go back to work at our own risk, and we go on holiday at our own risk, our choices and our responsibilities. Personally, I think the UK government have done their fair share of propping up society over the last few months and people like Simon Calder should not be compounding blame for peoples holidays in the wrong place, like he keeps doing so on tv and the radio.

Rant over, morning people:)

Let me know how you get on @czmate1999

I'm sorry, did Simon Calder think you were 8 years old?
As a fully grown adult, i'm pretty sure I wouldn't need to be informed of 'risk-heavy behaviour' and anyone driving for long periods of time with little or no sleep are well aware of that fact and if they choose to continue regardless, then the responsibility lies solely on their shoulders and not the fault of the government. None of the announcements made by the government are surprises or meant to catch people out, with little time. They warned the instant the corridors were re-opened that they wouldn't hesitate to close them again to protect the UK and they've stood by that.

Sorry, but i'm fed up with reading sob stories about ruined holidays and over priced return tickets that are unfair... Err that's supply and demand and we are in the middle of a pandemic where flair ups are inevitable and only going to get worse before they get better. We go to the local Tesco at our own risk, we go back to work at our own risk, and we go on holiday at our own risk, our choices and our responsibilities. Personally, I think the UK government have done their fair share of propping up society over the last few months and people like Simon Calder should not be compounding blame for peoples holidays in the wrong place, like he keeps doing so on tv and the radio.

Rant over, morning people:)

Let me know how you get on @czmate1999
I get the impression that Calder is simply using this situation to criticise the government and I agree with your comments, people need to manage their own risks instead of expecting the nanny state to look after them.
However, during 20 years of working shifts as a uniformed Police Officer I saw many accidents and incidents caused by exhausted drivers who, despite not being 8 years old, had carried on driving long after they were exhausted. Tired drivers have similar reaction times to drunk drivers, particularly in the early hours of the morning, and they put others at risk.
When, at 8pm yesterday @czmate1999 says he's already driven 400 miles and goes on to say "my issue is - do I bust a gut and try and get a crossing before Saturday 4am Uk time or am I ok the minute I cross into Germany tomorrow?", I would hope that he isn't driving with matchsticks propping his eyelids open. Hence my post.

Hi guys, at Calais, Just phoned FCO hotline and they said as long as you are in Germany before the deadline then we would be fine.

hey ho. Just tweeted SC for his info. Sitting in the drivers seat rather smugly with my wife saying I just don’t get it. Common sense I say.

Back