Transporter t6.1 respray

Simples

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I’ve recently brought a used t6.1 online and when it was delivered it was clear it had several panels re sprayed and came with many dents that wasn’t disclosed on the sale.

I’ve told them that I want to reject the sale because of this. They have asked me to get an estimate to get it repaired but because it’s ascot grey I’m not sure I’d be happy with the finish. Is there any painters on here ?
I’m in two minds to continue with the rejection and get my money back or get it repaired with a reduction in cost from the seller

Photos of the resprayed panels / damage would assist,
it’s very possible the damage is Purely below the body line ?
if that is the case a same colour half body repair would be significantly less than 4K (done properly) and would (if carried out correctly) make the van like look like new, providing all damage was below the body panel line.
Obviously the quality / cost of the repair is down to the company you select to carry out the work !

if you decide to repair the vehicle will you Be happy with the final result ? the is a matter of your opinion and only you can make that call

to give you an idea, here is an example of a proper half body repair,
bonnet, bumper, fuel flap, tailgate handle, door handles, badges, trim etc off the vehicle, back to metal properly filled, flatted and repaired prepared prior half body respray of all panels, this one has a slight depression in the tailgate which required a slight build up of filler feathered to make the panel look right and correct general minor dings around the periphery of the van, along with the ubiquitous stone chips to the bonnet.
this process is not for everyone and requires a lot of prep by someone with an eye for detail, the final result is a clean looking van.

93D9BFA6-7A23-49E2-ADF0-72F31E5D22BD.jpeg

AB9920D1-F62F-4987-8E4D-20FC94E2A559.jpeg

00176671-B6A5-43AF-A58A-563AACFA75CE.jpeg

972AE702-98B9-4FFA-BFA6-1B0BF3173808.jpeg

25AB85BC-FDC1-408D-9E7A-6A398AE43E72.jpeg

BAC05B1F-7A89-498D-90A0-0FAF604E2285.jpeg

0F0B52C5-1A2D-45E5-B305-85716DD8B2F8.jpeg

1DA192FB-12BB-43C6-859E-4469E4C5FC63.jpeg

61BC5110-6E93-4ED0-B8ED-773D66663F05.jpeg

1DBDEE66-6727-4821-9AA3-299B814BEF67.jpeg

I’ve recently brought a used t6.1 online and when it was delivered it was clear it had several panels re sprayed and came with many dents that wasn’t disclosed on the sale.

I’ve told them that I want to reject the sale because of this. They have asked me to get an estimate to get it repaired but because it’s ascot grey I’m not sure I’d be happy with the finish. Is there any painters on here ?
I’m in two minds to continue with the rejection and get my money back or get it repaired with a reduction in cost from the seller

Some good replies. I'd have rejected the van on sight, not as described.
I've never bought a vehicle without driving it and inspecting it, I never will, there's too much at stake.

You don’t know what else is lurking beneath the bodywork, that they haven’t told you about. I wouldn’t trust the vehicle or the seller tbh.

You don’t know what else is lurking beneath the bodywork, that they haven’t told you about. I wouldn’t trust the vehicle or the seller tbh.
yeap, exactly this...
doesn't sound like they can be trusted to me

At best paintwork is guaranteed for 2 years, there is a good chance that the panel galvanised coat is compromised.

It was from a dealer remotely I asked if any paintwork was done prior which I was told no. I think the dents would come out with paint less dent removal as it hasn’t cracked the paint work. I’m just disappointed as it was the colour I wanted!!

My first Mits L200 I bought new in 2005, a few years later I was nudged by some loony old lady and got a local guy I use to do it on the drive, when he flatterned the panel down you can see it was sprayed before. Again I bought it brand spanking new. I guess this was done on the boat and picked up at PDI. Point it metalic black and I am very fastidious and I never noticed.

Last edited:
For those that asked about cost, this was done back in early 2018, you would need to get current prices for your location / preferred supplier.
It would be pointless quoting a figure & potentially setting an expectation today based on what I had done & what it cost in 2018.

my post was in purely to assist the original poster to show what should be done by a professional outfit, to achieve a good finish, not a bodge it type repair to one panel resulting in a poor colour match the wider vehicle not to tosh it up for sale.

as far as compromising the Galvanised coating!
if you choose a repairer who has skill & knowledge about how to prep and repair a vehicle correctly to approved Standards then it’s not an issue. VW / approved repairers do this every day of the week to thousands & thousands of cars, vans etc or indeed all the many many vehicles that are repaired from new and not disclosed to the customer, without the customer being any the wiser !

anyway as I said the post is to assist others highlighting the correct process a vehicle would need to undergo to ensure the repair looked mint and lasts as it should, different supplier offer different guarantees. This was not an insurance job done On minimal margins under insurer imposed processes Designed to reduce cost to the insurer.

edit; I am not advocating the OP should accept the vehicle with undisclosed repairs / damage, I’m merely highlighting that it’s a lot of work to do a proper repair

Last edited:
Reject it, a new van should be just that, new. Not full of dents and paint issues.

Hi guys well after a lot of hassle from the dealer the van was collected and sent back on Tuesday. It got to the point of having to bombard three bosses up with photos and emails to get it sorted!!
So if you see an ascot grey van for sale at marshall Mercedes van of Portsmouth please avoid it!! HG20CXP. The salesman was Rik the Dik

E829C934-03F5-439B-AE9B-B90CF5AF426D.png

AC73DB4A-29CF-46D4-8B65-7E67F7D74126.jpeg

4F7F1DEE-757C-4D9E-AD15-7D15FC96389C.jpeg

45D1BB91-0367-429E-B08E-5F2B1D3973FE.jpeg

Sorry it ended this way for you bud but in the long run you’ve saved £1000’s on resale!
Good luck in your next purchase!

Back