Transporter For Camping!

Be very very careful about who you choose to do the conversion, sooooooo many cowboys out there and some well known names are amongst the cowboys.

Oil filled rad in the awning and in the van works pretty well and won't trip out the electrics at 2 in the morning.

The poptop will be cold and will let cold air down into the van, you can insulate them relatively cheaply though, there's a thread on here somewhere.

When I had my van converted in early 2018 we camped out from April until September, we had blazing sun on every trip, probably 6 or 7 trips that year.

2019 has been the polar opposite, it's been cold and wet on every single trip we've made this year, in fact it's been so bad that we've cut every single camping trip short due to the wind and rain.

If I had the same opportunities again I wouldn't have bothered with the conversion and would have sunk my money into a caravan, which is what I ended up doing in September.

We had a lovely warm/cosy few days at Longleat this weekend, the wind and rain didn't affect us at all.

£10k gets a decent caravan, just saying :cool:

:eek:
Be very very careful about who you choose to do the conversion, sooooooo many cowboys out there and some well known names are amongst the cowboys.

Oil filled rad in the awning and in the van works pretty well and won't trip out the electrics at 2 in the morning.

The poptop will be cold and will let cold air down into the van, you can insulate them relatively cheaply though, there's a thread on here somewhere.

When I had my van converted in early 2018 we camped out from April until September, we had blazing sun on every trip, probably 6 or 7 trips that year.

2019 has been the polar opposite, it's been cold and wet on every single trip we've made this year, in fact it's been so bad that we've cut every single camping trip short due to the wind and rain.

If I had the same opportunities again I wouldn't have bothered with the conversion and would have sunk my money into a caravan, which is what I ended up doing in September.

We had a lovely warm/cosy few days at Longleat this weekend, the wind and rain didn't affect us at all.

£10k gets a decent caravan, just saying :cool:

Caravan???
Nooooooooooo. :eek::eek::eek:
Just saying :cool:

This is a quote I have received from somebody quite local to us: QUOTATION for Swb 4 berth camper conversion
Other extras you might want:
Diesel night heater. £800
Passenger swivel seat base £300

You need both IMHO, swivel base is an easy DIY for half that price, though if you're spending 10k... let them do it!
afro.gif

I wouldnt dismiss a small caravan, we had great times in ours before our first T4 Autosleeper camper. I'm now a widower and I find the Birchover is fine for a loner, but I cant imagine how a full family would get along in there, especially in bad weather. Generally, theres more space in a small caravan than in any T6 conversion, and you'd still have the van for storage whilst camping. Its more secure, and I suspect a van and a caravan would hold their combined resale value better than an aftermarket-conversion campervan.
Blasphemy I know, but something to think about. Sorry chaps!
whistling.gif

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Back