Towbar Setting Sensor Off

Daz B

Have had a towbar fitted for a while now, but recently the reverse sensors are picking it up, was ok when fitted any ideas how to solve?

Does it have a factory control module?
If so have you done any programming lately that might have changed the Coding?

If it’s a proper towbar setup with vehicle specific wiring kit (which I assume it is if it used to disable sensors) then it sounds like you have a coding issue
It’s not unheard of for a module to reset and lose coding, my vehicle has done it before but I am a tinkerer, can you take it back to the place that installed it and get them to check ?

I think he means the sensors are picking up the towbar when using reverse with nothing hitched up. The sensors only disable when a trailer or caravan is electrically plugged in.

I'd try removing the tow ball (unbolt it if you have to) and see if the problem goes away just to make sure it is the tow ball causing the problem.

I think he means the sensors are picking up the towbar when using reverse with nothing hitched up. The sensors only disable when a trailer or caravan is electrically plugged in.

I'd try removing the tow ball (unbolt it if you have to) and see if the problem goes away just to make sure it is the tow ball causing the problem.

It is the towbar as when I picked it up and you put the plastic cap on it it went off all the time, removed cap and it was fine, think I will take it back to garage to get them to look at it.

Watching; mine still has this as an intermittent fault - one day I can reverse onto my drive without issue and the next it will beep like crazy as soon as I engage reverse - VW weren’t interested as after market towbar - I just live with it but if an easy fix I’d be interested.

What is the distance between the tow ball and the bumper? I've got a Westfalia removable which when fitted is 50mm away and never sets off the reversing sensors with or without the cap. I know of a late T5.1 and the tow ball must be at least twice as far away so more likely to interfere with the sensors (no idea if it does).

I’ve fitted a Westfalia Swan Neck Towbar fixed from PF Jones and it interferes with the reversing sensors as well. I rang up PF Jones and they say that sometimes it does effect VW T6 vehicles! Apparently it is mentioned somewhere on their site. Really?? You’d think they just wouldn’t sell them or say that you’d need a removable towbar with a T6. Basically makes the reversing sensors redundant. Very pissed off. So be warned if you are coming on here looking into towbars. Get a removable one!

Btw, as mentioned in passing above, I also have found that removing the plastic protector seems to let the sensors work ok. Wether this will now work fine or it’ll be intermittent I cannot say for sure.

Back