Towbar probs

Highline

Commercial Catering Engineer
T6 Pro
Hi guys, had a towbar fitted this week, a bossal removeable one with a right connections wiring kit.

Got the van back and now the intermittent rain wipers won't work and also where the cruise control display is there is now an exclamation mark and cruise won't work.

I can't take it back until Tuesday so thought I'd ask on here if anyone has any ideas. Thought it might be something to do with coding??

Cheers

I am having one fitted tomorrow so hope mine goes ok . I will post when I get it back.

I've fitted one with no problems on a 2016 T6 Highline. BUT it's not a nice job connecting up to the BCM and Can Bus as there is very little space to work under then dash so that may be where the problem is.

I think I have a write-up on the coding with VCDS if you need it I will try to find it.

Where are you? No map link with your avatar.

Rod

Not much help but I looked at all the options and was advised to go with the genuine westfallia tow bar and wiring kit from pf jones they did push there wiring kit saying it was a easier install but I pushed for the genuine kit to be fair it was a fiddley job to install and it needed coding when finished cost me about £300 plus my time on my next van I will get factory fitted works out the same price once you include labour.
I wonder if yours needs coding hence the probs you have

Here is the write-up that I did for enabling the Westfalia (Right Connections) module on my 2016 T6...

This was done using Ross Tech VCDS Release 17.1.3 Data version 20170220 DS267.3 with USB interface registered full version not ‘Lite’

Connect and open VCDS, with vehicle ignition switched on select control module ‘19 CAN Gateway’

From CAN Gateway window select ‘Installation List’

In Installation List window scroll down and locate ’69 Trailer’ then tick the selection box beside that.

Save coding.

Exit module 19

Now select module ‘10 Park/Steer Assist’

Select ‘Security Access’

Hover mouse over Security access entry and note number that shows in ‘call out’. Insert that number in requester box.

Click ‘Do It!’

You should then get an acknowledgement ‘Security Code Accepted’. OK that.

IMPORTANT – Make a note of original coding before proceeding!!

Now select ‘Coding’

Then select ‘Long Coding Helper’

In ‘Long Coding Helper’ window change bits 1-3 from ‘Trailer Hitch not installed’ to ‘Trailer hitch installed (fixed/removable)’ available from the dropdown options.

Close ‘Long Coding Helper’ window

The new coding should appear in the changed coding box. Now click ‘Do It!’ in the controller window.

You should then get an acknowledgement ‘Code Accepted’.

Exit Module 10 and test tow bar electrics for correct operation.

That may not be the perfect wording for this operation but will get the intelligent user by.

Rod

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need towbar prep installed from factory or an additional module. I know on the t5 if towbar perp wasn't fitted and wired as a normal towbar it would damage the bcm.
Like I said I may be wrong.

Guys. That's great. Many thanks. When I asked the shop they said they don't use vcds but used a westfalia programmer?

Here is the write-up that I did for enabling the Westfalia (Right Connections) module on my 2016 T6...

This was done using Ross Tech VCDS Release 17.1.3 Data version 20170220 DS267.3 with USB interface registered full version not ‘Lite’

Connect and open VCDS, with vehicle ignition switched on select control module ‘19 CAN Gateway’

From CAN Gateway window select ‘Installation List’

In Installation List window scroll down and locate ’69 Trailer’ then tick the selection box beside that.

Save coding.

Exit module 19

Now select module ‘10 Park/Steer Assist’

Select ‘Security Access’

Hover mouse over Security access entry and note number that shows in ‘call out’. Insert that number in requester box.

Click ‘Do It!’

You should then get an acknowledgement ‘Security Code Accepted’. OK that.

IMPORTANT – Make a note of original coding before proceeding!!

Now select ‘Coding’

Then select ‘Long Coding Helper’

In ‘Long Coding Helper’ window change bits 1-3 from ‘Trailer Hitch not installed’ to ‘Trailer hitch installed (fixed/removable)’ available from the dropdown options.

Close ‘Long Coding Helper’ window

The new coding should appear in the changed coding box. Now click ‘Do It!’ in the controller window.

You should then get an acknowledgement ‘Code Accepted’.

Exit Module 10 and test tow bar electrics for correct operation.

That may not be the perfect wording for this operation but will get the intelligent user by.

Rod
Was this a high line?

Hi HI, yes it was a High Line & Auto LED headlights which makes a difference to the way the kit is connected. I'm also aware that the tow-bar folks use the Westfalia coding kit for which there are instructions in the box that comes from PF Jones (Right Connections wiring loom and module).

Rslad you are quite correct you do need an additional module, that comes with the kit for a Westfalia tow-bar.

Rod

Thanks for your help. I'll be taking it back on Tuesday, it's been doing my head in

Update. Took the van back today. Found the problem. A bent pin on the bcm. Luckily it wasn't damaged otherwise that would of been a hefty claim on their insurance. Fair play to the guys. They checked over everything they did and found the problem. I just want to tow something now lol.

Thanks to everyone who read and commented

I had mine fitted but not got it coded yet . It all works ok but the parking sensors don't switch off .they will get it coded at the weekend as we are away next week with the bike carrier. When the weather warms up it will be tested with the caravan.

On the subject of towbars, anyone with factory fitted rear sensors have a flange type bar fitted, does it get in the way of the sensors?

Back