Tow Bar Prep - Yes Or No?

Just did a google search, you guys are awesome. This is the module -
VW T6 T5 Caddy Trailer Control Unit Tow Bar Module 1K0907383H AHK y.2017/ #12
So all I need to buy is the buy the dedicated wiring kit WTP, is there still a need to use VCDS to code my ECU?

Just to confirm this module will work with LED equipped trailers?

Just did a google search, you guys are awesome. This is the module -
VW T6 T5 Caddy Trailer Control Unit Tow Bar Module 1K0907383H AHK y.2017/ #12
So all I need to buy is the buy the dedicated wiring kit WTP, is there still a need to use VCDS to code my ECU?

Just to confirm this module will work with LED equipped trailers?
You don’t need VCDS. The module will already be coded to your van. Not sure on the LED compatibility. Something in the back of my mind is saying that it’s not

Ok, so maybe the VW Dealer is correct in selling me the VW-VGA055204LOAD for LED equipped trailers and saying it needs coding.
Would be nice if I could cut th VW-VGA055204LOAD LED Modile kit and hard wire it into the loom so it is inside the vehicle and to do away with the Plug adaptor setup.

Ok, so maybe the VW Dealer is correct in selling me the VW-VGA055204LOAD for LED equipped trailers and saying it needs coding.
Would be nice if I could cut th VW-VGA055204LOAD LED Modile kit and hard wire it into the loom so it is inside the vehicle and to do away with the Plug adaptor setup.
That is just an in-line load that increases the resistance in the trailer circuits to fool the module into seeing a higher load when your led trailer is connected. It’s passive, it does not need coding.

I would go without it initially and see what happens, it wont stop anything from working its just to cure a false dash warning light that a lamp is out

Its strange that if you search that part number for the load box all the results are .au ??

Looking at a few oz forum posts elsewhere it seems the load box can be spliced in or a cheaper alternative is to add a load resistor to both indicators, tail and stop lights, this will trick the van into seeing a higher load than the LEDs that are connected

I would go without it initially and see what happens, it wont stop anything from working its just to cure a false dash warning light that a lamp is out

Its strange that if you search that part number for the load box all the results are .au ??
Yes I could put up with the light on the dash as it would be rare I use a LED equipped trailer. I will just go the standard for now like you suggest.
I am in Australia

I can see the post is a bit old but maybe someone is able to answer for me?

My vehicle has the 1D7 code as mentioned, so it has the Towbar 1D7 preparedness installed from the factory. Does anyone know what it actually is in a physical sense?
Does it mean a vehicle with 1D7 already installed, it has the wiring loom from the front to the back of the vehicle already in place?
As such you just buy the Trailer Module that plugs into the ID7 harness under the front passenger seat? And attach you 13 Pin Plug to the ID7 Harness already in place at the rear of the vehicle?
Or you need to run wiring from the module under the passenger seat to the rear of the vehicle and into the Trailer 13 Pin Plug.
Also has the ECU been set with the coding and activation already completed?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Mine works with LED and normal lamps on the trailer, all I did was to connect the towbar electrics into the plug that is at the rear left quarter, you also have to relocate some of the pins in an existing plug at the same location.

you can buy the loom to do this, once connected everything should work perfectly - you don’t need to do anything under either of the seats and you don’t need to connect any modules (assuming you have towbar prep)

I’ll find a link to the loom I bought if that helps, I’m also happy to talk through it if you want to chat (pm me for contact details)

Bit late to the party but I have a tow bar module for sale. Super cheap as it’s surplus.
It’s listed in the for sale section but was a few weeks ago

Mine works with LED and normal lamps on the trailer, all I did was to connect the towbar electrics into the plug that is at the rear left quarter, you also have to relocate some of the pins in an existing plug at the same location.

you can buy the loom to do this, once connected everything should work perfectly - you don’t need to do anything under either of the seats and you don’t need to connect any modules (assuming you have towbar prep)

I’ll find a link to the loom I bought if that helps, I’m also happy to talk through it if you want to chat (pm me for contact details)
All good, I decided to go with the loom from Volkswagen as the price in Australia was not that much more then aftermarket Westfalia. I will look at the posts suggestions to wire in a led load box later on.

Bit late to the party but I have a tow bar module for sale. Super cheap as it’s surplus.
It’s listed in the for sale section but was a few weeks ago
Thanks Farnorthsurfer, I ended deciding to purchase the VW harness from the dealership. I Iam in Australia so postage cost would kill me. I have the VW towbar prep from the factory. Later on I plan to wire in the led load box.

Westfalia are the supplier for VW anyway. Will most likely be the same kit in a VW box.

I'm no expert but I speak German which really helps with a VW.

Anhaengeranschlussgerate means trailer connection control unit. So that black box looks like the trailer prep.

All I ask for is a nice detachable towbar that’s hidden when not used. Imma pay through the roof for one though aren’t i?!

Back