Tow Bar Prep - Yes Or No?

Morrispd

VIP Member
Hi I read that if there is factory towbar prep then there was a COde 1D7 in the service book and 1D0 if not.
I dont have a service book as its all electronic now so how do I check?

My van has towbar prep

Capture.PNG

I've just realised that my van doesn't have Towbar Prep although the Dealer advertised it as having it?! Just sent them an email to see if they will make a contribution towards the extra cost.....

As above, there is a sticker under the Steering Column. Code 1D0 means there is Not Towbar Prep fitted, code 1D7 means there is Towbar Prep fitted

I can see the post is a bit old but maybe someone is able to answer for me?

My vehicle has the 1D7 code as mentioned, so it has the Towbar 1D7 preparedness installed from the factory. Does anyone know what it actually is in a physical sense?
Does it mean a vehicle with 1D7 already installed, it has the wiring loom from the front to the back of the vehicle already in place?
As such you just buy the Trailer Module that plugs into the ID7 harness under the front passenger seat? And attach you 13 Pin Plug to the ID7 Harness already in place at the rear of the vehicle?
Or you need to run wiring from the module under the passenger seat to the rear of the vehicle and into the Trailer 13 Pin Plug.
Also has the ECU been set with the coding and activation already completed?

Any information greatly appreciated.

My caravelle came with towbar prep. Essentially it has the wiring to the back of the van in place as well as the control module. You need to fit the towbar as well as some foam support pieces and then a small loom to the 13 pin plug.
Worse piece is getting the bumper off without breaking any clips and then removing wires from the original loom to add to the new loom.
No coding required. Pf jones for the towbar and loom. Westfalia Loom was around £65 and detachable towbar £200

Thanks Steve. I had a look under my passenger seat but I was unable to find the control module. I can see I have the loom ID& Towbar Preparedness and it runs through to the back of my van. So I contacted volkswagen to see what the ID7 included they said, it was only the loom and no module. As a result I would need to buy these two kits and have the ECU coding completed -
VW-7E5055202A and VW-VGA055204LOAD.
As you can see the VW-VGA055204LOAD is a system that is external to the VW Wiring Harness. I was assured this is VW OEM and no module is available to be installed under the seat. I will have a look at the one you suggest from Pf jones, do you know the part no. I need to look for? Also not sure if they ship to Australia?

VW-VGA055204LOAD.png

Last edited:
That sounds strange as I certainly didn't buy or fit a module and mine came with towbar prep.

Thanks Pauly, I found those. It is more the LED Module I am looking for. Do you know where your module is located Steve? I thought it was a bit strange also. What does it look like? Any photos or links?
One option I thought maybe I can wire the module into the loom if I dont have one installed. I dont like the idea of it being external as VW suggested to me (See photo).

Let me have a look in the van later today and see what I can find. Invoice from pf jones20200403_085242.jpg

Thanks Steve. I searched the part number 321652300113 on your invoice on PF Jones, nothing found. If you can find the module in your van later please share what you see.
I did find the wiring kits that Pauly suggested FF29270555PF would be the one for my setup. With that kit I believe my system will work without the VW-VGA055204LOAD (LED Module) for trailers without LED lighting fitted. However I would like it to be also compatible with trailers equipped with LED Lighting. My vehicle is a 2018 T6 TDI400 LWB.

Last edited:
Thanks Pauly, I found those. It is more the LED Module I am looking for. Do you know where your module is located Steve? I thought it was a bit strange also. What does it look like? Any photos or links?
One option I thought maybe I can wire the module into the loom if I dont have one installed. I dont like the idea of it being external as VW suggested to me (See photo).
The module is under the drivers seat. Black plastic box 150 x 100 x 50mm

This is it, I’ve stuck foam on mine, you can just see the module in between

902A54BD-BC22-4AA6-8B8F-635F926D51B7.jpeg

Thanks Deaky, I just went outside and had a look and took some photos. Is this what I am looking for, is that the module?

Under.Drivers.Seat.jpg

VW AG 1KO 907 383 H.jpg

Back