Tow Bar Electrics Comparison

Millar

I’ve just taken delivery of my T6 van. I asked the dealership to fit a tow bar with vehicle specific wiring.
I’ve now got the receipt from the tow bar fitters saying bypass relay and no vehicle coding.

Is this a problem, what does the vehicle specific wiring offer that the bypass relay doesn’t?
I’m going to complain so want the information to fire at them!

If it’s done properly, it should disable the rear vehicle fog lights & reversing sensors when a trailer is plugged in. You need to check this.

As above it disables the rear parking sensors, throws the rear foglight from vehicle to trailer, it also tells the engine control module and the ABS/braking control module when a trailer is connected and they behave differently to accommodate this (not sure exactly how but guessing some sort of anti snake feature), the towbar electrical socket will also talk to the vehicles alarm and unplugging the trailer while the vehicle is locked will trigger the alarm system (if its a factory alarm)

the towbar electrical socket will also talk to the vehicles alarm and unplugging the trailer while the vehicle is locked will trigger the alarm system (if its a factory alarm)

Not on the T6, it used to on the T5, but they changed it.

Back