Top 5 camping tips?

Elvis Romerez

Hi all,

Great Forum, been reading loads of threads and all really helpful. I hope to go camping next Easter for the 1st time in a converted camper van (I know, long way off), what would be your top 5 tips to a newbie? I.e. Important things to pack, any tips on multiuse items etc, thanks in advance

Cheers

Hello and welcome!!

A lot will depend on how much of a conversion you are having on the van, i.e. cooking facilities, beds, fridge, heating, etc..

We have a full on conversion and keep cupboards permanently stocked with pots, pans, cutlery, dry goods (herbs, spices, rice, pasta, various condiments, etc.), games, electric hook-up cable, etc., ready to go so in theory we could just get in the van and drive off somewhere at a moments notice. However, some of the things we put in the van every time we go off camping include:-

Cadac - we have a cooker and grill in the van but a big part of camping for us is cooking outside (plus I have a thing about stinking vans out with cooking smells!).

Outdoor tables and chairs - as above we like to sit outside year round.

Duvalay Sleeping bags - our RIB bed is relatively comfortable but the Duvalays give an extra layer of comfort plus all the warmth we need in a single package.

Warm Clothing and Waterproofs - late March/early April can still be cold, especially overnight. Layers work best.

Crocs - wouldn't be seen dead wearing them about town but they are great to quickly slip on for trips to showers/toilets across wet grass.

Also how many adults, children and dogs are you camping with? Makes a big difference to your approach.

We travelled europe this summer in an unconverted kombi. We found the following essential.....

1. An ability to either laugh it off or shut up....

2. A bed. (We had a collapsable one. It was absolutely fine with a good folding mattress)

3. Two gas stoves. One to use and one to replace the one youre using when it breaks......

4. A BBQ.

5. Torches. In every door.

6. Always carry two days worth of food. We underestimated facilites in route a few times and were thankful for the spare food........

7. Wellies.

8. An outside shelter of any type. The van can get claustrophobic sometimes.

9. A pot of coins in small denominations. (Dont worry if u forget this after u have left, yr door trays will soon fill up!)

10. Beer.

Each of us has a small “bag for life” type waterproof carrier bag that carries our washbag, towel, clean undies and a bog roll etc
This is because there is often only one hook in the shower and you can hang your bag up to keep everything dry whilt you are showering.
I also have a small piece of velcro webbing that can be tied around the stingiest of shower push buttons to keep it on.

I agree with @Davenjo - warmth is key.

We were frozen on our first trip and it soon sapped any joy we had. Fortunately I've seen Empire Strikes Back so I cut a big hole in the Mrs and climbed in. I thought she smelled bad on the outside.!

Just woke my mrs up actually laughing out loud

Warmth is top priority - so the Boss has a hotwater bottle that goes under the duvet 20 mins before we do!!
Its great but I don't admit that I need it!

Also I carry a couple of the small "S" shaped hooks that are so useful for hanging things up under the Fiamma awning
- like wet coats, towels after showers, lightweight lamps for chandelier effect!!

Al fresco dining is the way to go if weather permits so agree with all the above in terms of outside stoves/Cadac/Gaz BBQ etc

A cheap carpet square or off cut to collect grass and mud before entering van is easy to store also.

Back