To sell or not to sell - to change...

DaveCrampton

2017 Shuttle SE.
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have owned my 2017 T6 Shuttle SE LWB for 13 months now. I bought after seeing a friend's camper, after the price of campers skyrocketed during the lockdown. I could see prices of camper rising way beyond my budget.
Since then my shuttle (may) have risen in price (autotrader) and would now sell for the same price as a nice T5.1 camper (professional manufacturer).

I like the shuttle but I'd love a camper as it ticks every box, apart from its age. My quandry would be selling the shuttle in time to snap up the camper.

Thoughts folks?

Dave C

Why not convert your shuttle, least it will be done to your specification exactly how you want? We've converted our shuttle to what we wanted. Youre not going to get AC in the rear if you get a converted panel van.

20220708_181558.jpg

Have you thought about converting you shuttle into a camper?

It already is M1 classified, windows all round, non beige low dash plastics :D, LWB for greater space. Once the interior trim is removed , or partially removed its base van ready for conversion.
I have seen quite a few pop tops fitted to shuttles and the roof trim modified to suit. The interior might be worth a few quid too. or keep the interior as the finish is more refined to carpet

If the cost is a big driver you could get some of the small kitchen pod systems (or make your own) ,kombi style bed, portable 12v compressor fridge and your halfway there, a camper is basically just a posher 'built in' version :whistle:;)

The other plus is that its a van you already own and know. I personally would be reluctant to sell a newer van for an older one.

Assuming you have no issues with current van I’d keep it and do as suggested above.

If you did want to sell then try webuyanyvan.com to give you an idea of what you would likely get for trading in.

I'd love to convert my existing van but funds won't allow. I have researched and chosen what builder I want to buy from and based on this, they don't convert shuttles. If I did have the money and wasn't fussy about the particular builder/company, I would convert but the few I contacted last year, half wouldn't convert the shuttle, so that narrows the choices.
I have been following the market for over a year. Prices are high but I found one which is the make I want and at a price, selling the van will pay for.

Thanks, I'd love to keep a T6 but prefer a camper over a newer shuttle.

something else to consider is that you know your van. you've had it for over a year, you'd imagine that any potential issues would have surfaced by now. is it worth the gamble to change to a van you don't know, which may have hidden issues??

Does this add to any running expenses? More VED?
It’ll fall foul of any ULEZ zones which are being introduced hither & thither. Depending on how the 5.1 started life (panel van N1) the VED could well be lower than you’re paying on the shuttle.

We rarely drive into London, or Paris for that matter, we take the train. It's a second, holiday vehicle for countryside recreation as I sea kayak and like to base myself on the west coast by the sea.

We'll see if it sells. I'd love a camper, which the one I hope to get is. The camper company source vans direct from VW to convert prior to registration with the DVLA.

We rarely drive into London, or Paris for that matter, we take the train. It's a second, holiday vehicle for countryside recreation as I sea kayak and like to base myself on the west coast by the sea.

We'll see if it sells. I'd love a camper, which the one I hope to get is. The camper company source vans direct from VW to convert prior to registration with the DVLA.
Its not just London and Paris. They are springing up all over the place. This in one of the main reasons I swapped vans to move from Euro5 to 6.
I'm firmly in the camp - convert what you have already.

I would also consider the t6 is more refined than t5.1. Cabin it’s more quiet, engine less noisy, wind noise a lot better on t6, suspension comfort better and less crashy.

To sell or not to sell that is the question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the skinned knuckles and outrageous fortune of conversion or to take arms, out of pockets, dip in wallet at local campervan emporium and by opposing the salesman end the haggling, once more to sleep and by sleep, to say we end our campervan search... this year.... Fank you.:thumbsup:

ULEZ includes Bath, Birmingham, Portsmouth & shortly Bristol. My T6 with ad blue is OK for most of these my mates T6 without ad blue isn't and neither is another mates T5.1

Back