New prospective T6 owner seeking advice!

We have a LWB and the extra 40cm makes a big difference to the conversion, but the van is marginally longer than an estate car. Used as a daily driver it’s no problem.
If there’s only going to be 2 of you using it and you don’t need rear belted seats then have a look at a u-shaped seating arrangement.
You get a nice sofa arrangement with a central table and it all pulls out easily to make a bed.
It’s suited us for the last three years.
We use the hob for occasional cooking. And boiling the kettle etc. I wouldn’t be without it.
On the two-tone thing ( and I may get some hate mail here) many conversion companies buy in the cheapest base vans that are startline 5 speed T28 in white-your general ex-builders van.
They make them desirable by making them two tone. I’ve never seen a Ravenna blue highline with a half-wrap if you get my drift.
I’m looking to buy another van at the moment to do a new conversion and after 3 1/3 years of camper use and experience I’ll be getting a LWB tailgate 6speed or dsg and going for u-shaped seating again.
Only difference is this time I’m going big lithium with induction hob and quooker tap with plenty of solar. No gas.
Despite having a highline this time, I will consider a Startline as long as it has air con and rear parking sensors. Any other stuff I can retrofit without too much hassle.

We looked at lots of converted vans, but in the end we bought a Candy White PV with barn doors. We then had it converted into a camper with the usual hob, sink and fridge. The pop top was manufactured by Austops.

We also specced a Evo bed on rails which has made the van so practical. We also removed the barn doors and added a tailgate. Solar and a diesel heater completed the spec.

We then had the bottom half painted.

It’s been a great experience and this forum is absolutely brilliant with so many helpful people.

We are pleased that we had a van converted rather than buying a ready made one, so that we could make it ours.

IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_1940.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

If possible, rent both SWB and LWB versions. The extra 40cm is barely noticeable when driving, but it makes a huge difference to the camping experience.
What he said^^^^^^^^:thumbsup::thumbsup:
It’s the difference between being able to get out of bed & get dressed/put your shoes on/open the fridge with the bed down & not.
On the road or parking, it’s negligible. But it makes a huge difference inside as it’s pure useable space.

Consider the classification of the vehicle - panel van conversions are generally stuck with commercial van speed limits such as 50mph on single carriageway and 60 on dual. Is that a problem? There is a work-around for full camper conversions but not part conversions/day vans.
This isn’t correct: whilst the government won’t change the taxation class from N1 to M1 when you use your van for purposes other than commercial use (because you’d then get cheaper tolls, access to the Rotherhithe Tunnel, differing tax bands etc etc) the law does recognise this when it comes to speed limits.
60/70 on single/duals is fine if it’s not being used as a goods vehicle anymore, which is easier to prove to the authorities once it’s got windows in and is being used for SDP/C.

We have a LWB and the extra 40cm makes a big difference to the conversion, but the van is marginally longer than an estate car. Used as a daily driver it’s no problem.
If there’s only going to be 2 of you using it and you don’t need rear belted seats then have a look at a u-shaped seating arrangement.
You get a nice sofa arrangement with a central table and it all pulls out easily to make a bed.
It’s suited us for the last three years.
We use the hob for occasional cooking. And boiling the kettle etc. I wouldn’t be without it.
On the two-tone thing ( and I may get some hate mail here) many conversion companies buy in the cheapest base vans that are startline 5 speed T28 in white-your general ex-builders van.
They make them desirable by making them two tone. I’ve never seen a Ravenna blue highline with a half-wrap if you get my drift.
I’m looking to buy another van at the moment to do a new conversion and after 3 1/3 years of camper use and experience I’ll be getting a LWB tailgate 6speed or dsg and going for u-shaped seating again.
Only difference is this time I’m going big lithium with induction hob and quooker tap with plenty of solar. No gas.
Despite having a highline this time, I will consider a Startline as long as it has air con and rear parking sensors. Any other stuff I can retrofit without too much hassle.
Thanks, this is exactly the reason I came here for advice. I'm such a newbie that I hadn't even looked closely yet at the different trims and variants. Done a quick Google - am I right to say that the startline is cheaper due to more basic trim but all those bits can be upgraded to make it something more like the other lines? And the T-class, is that just about suspension and brakes? If T28 is the minimum for a camper, what benefit exactly would a T30 or higher bring? And are there any cons? Also, U-shaped sofa arrangement sounds interesting - not something I've come across from scouring the web. Do you have any links or photos with examples? Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it's so helpful.

We looked at lots of converted vans, but in the end we bought a Candy White PV with barn doors. We then had it converted into a camper with the usual hob, sink and fridge. The pop top was manufactured by Austops.

We also specced a Evo bed on rails which has made the van so practical. We also removed the barn doors and added a tailgate. Solar and a diesel heater completed the spec.

We then had the bottom half painted.

It’s been a great experience and this forum is absolutely brilliant with so many helpful people.

We are pleased that we had a van converted rather than buying a ready made one, so that we could make it ours.

View attachment 228072

View attachment 228073

View attachment 228074
Wow what a gorgeous van ❤️. If I ended up with something like this I'd be over the moon. Thanks for sharing your experience.

This isn’t correct: whilst the government won’t change the taxation class from N1 to M1 when you use your van for purposes other than commercial use (because you’d then get cheaper tolls, access to the Rotherhithe Tunnel, differing tax bands etc etc) the law does recognise this when it comes to speed limits.
60/70 on single/duals is fine if it’s not being used as a goods vehicle anymore, which is easier to prove to the authorities once it’s got windows in and is being used for SDP/C.
Hi. So commercial vans must obey different speed limits? I honestly didn't know this. I assumed the original post was talking about installed speed limiters or something. But fine, if a conversion makes this irrelevant then fine.

But, if commercial vans are in a different tax band then how can I tell when looking at ads whether it's an ex-commercial or not? Is it a significant difference? I don't like the sound of being stopped from accessing certain roads. And sorry if I'm being thick, but what is SDP/C?

Done a quick Google - am I right to say that the startline is cheaper due to more basic trim but all those bits can be upgraded to make it something more like the other lines?

You are partly correct, but if you buy a T6 without air conditioning it is a complex and costly job to retro install. I think somebody on here has done it (can't recall who) but unless you are expert with the spanners and very knowledgeable I'd forget it.

The "T class" is the approved weight limit for the vehicle. So T28 is 2.8 ton, T30 3.0 and T32 3.2

Conversions tend to be done less often on T28 vehicles as it limits what can be done somewhat. Having said that plenty of folks have them for day van and partial conversions so it can be done, just needs a bit more planning and awareness of weight of fittings.

It's possible to change the plated category too as it's fundamentally the same van, you just need to work with one of the engineering companies that can do it and show that you have updated suspension brakes etc appropriately.

Thanks, this is exactly the reason I came here for advice. I'm such a newbie that I hadn't even looked closely yet at the different trims and variants. Done a quick Google - am I right to say that the startline is cheaper due to more basic trim but all those bits can be upgraded to make it something more like the other lines? And the T-class, is that just about suspension and brakes? If T28 is the minimum for a camper, what benefit exactly would a T30 or higher bring? And are there any cons? Also, U-shaped sofa arrangement sounds interesting - not something I've come across from scouring the web. Do you have any links or photos with examples? Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it's so helpful.
In a nutshell, yes. Most things can be retrofitted but look for a van with Air Con, to retrofit that is in excess of £2k.
The T28/30/32 references load ratings,
2800/3000/3200kgs, the latter having heavier duty springs and bigger brakes.
It certainly is a minefield, just keep asking questions, no such thing as a stupid question.

High to low the current trim levels are Startline, Highline, Sportline. Recommend you get either a Startline with the addition of the Business Pack (which gives Air Con) or a Highline (which comes with lots of useful extras).

T28, T30, T32 relates to a van's Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), with a T28 having a GVW of 2.8 tonnes, up to 3.2 tonnes for a T32. Campers are heavy, so the larger GVWs give you more carrying capacity over and above the weight of the conversion itself. Just beware though that choosing a T32 will restrict your choice of aftermarket wheels as there aren't as many that are rated for that weight.

Re U-shaped layouts, pretty sure there's a thread on here dedicated to them. The forum's search function is your friend in this regard.

Last edited:
But, if commercial vans are in a different tax band then how can I tell when looking at ads whether it's an ex-commercial or not? Is it a significant difference? I don't like the sound of being stopped from accessing certain roads. And sorry if I'm being thick, but what is SDP/C?
The V5 will tell you the van's classification and, from this, you can use the gov.uk website to determine what road tax the van attracts.

SDP&C is an insurance term relating to the usage of the vehicle. It stands for Social, Domestice, Pleasure and Commuting.

Welcome to the forum CT!
Keep asking those questions as great advice here so far.
Basic requirements for a camper id say would be LWB, T30 Highline.
That’ll be a great foundation as a start of a camper. LWB are harder to find but they arnt a deal breaker if you find a SWB.
Good luck in your search!!

It’s pretty much been summed up by other people above.
There’s also model variants too, depending on age. So T5.1 is the old shape that ran roughly to 2015/2016, then the T6 which is the primary van on this forum, then the new T6.1 which is approx 2019 to present day, you’ll see plenty of those on this forum too.
Some of the early T6 (16 and 66 plate) were pre add blue so won’t be ulez compliant. That may be important to you if you have to drive anywhere that has implemented a ulez charging zone, with more to come.

And the T-class, is that just about suspension and brakes? If T28 is the minimum for a camper, what benefit exactly would a T30 or higher bring? And are there any cons?
There is also a Trendline spec, but I can’t be sure what the exact differences are.

As above, the T number denotes the payload. You can actually uprate a van so it can carry more weight - so if you found your perfect van but it was a T28 which, after conversion, left you worried you’d be at its max, then all is not lost.

Another thing with the biggest payload van, the T32, is that its suspension setup is different to the other vans. So you’ll often see suspension components (along with wheels, brakes, anti-roll bars) listed for differing vans.
So commercial vans must obey different speed limits? I honestly didn't know this. I assumed the original post was talking about installed speed limiters or something.

As for commercial vehicles and speed limits - it’s a thing, but how often are you overtaken by a delivery van when you’re already at the speed limit!

But, if commercial vans are in a different tax band then how can I tell when looking at ads whether it's an ex-commercial or not? Is it a significant difference? I don't like the sound of being stopped from accessing certain roads
But don’t let the taxation class of a vehicle stop you from buying it - whether it’s a builders van or Caravelle, it’s how you’ll use it that counts.

Do you have any links or photos with examples?
Most of the sub-forums have sticky threads, which are the most discussed / useful. You’ll probably find most of the answers to your questions within them, so dip in to every sub-forum and you’ll get an idea of what’s what

The only advice I'd add is to be sure that you want a fully converted camper. I thought I did but in the end went the Kombi route, added leisure battery, power outlets, bed, storage, lighting etc. etc. and found that adding an awning to the setup works perfectly for trips and we don't need to cook in the van.
Good advice. That’s what I should have done. You buy a top of the range van and there’s no way you want to cook in it. I’ve only ever used the fridge and sink in mine and that’s only to fill an electric kettle.

We had a Mazda Bongo for 13 years with a full conversion. Unless you are stick thin, the 3/4 bed is a real squeeze. After 4 years without a van, and all the previous knowledge of camping in the Bongo, we just got ourselves a 2016 T6 Caravelle. It's perfect for us. 7 seats in Nappa black leather, heated front seats, AC, cruise control, modern CarPlay media unit, 2 litre 150bhp Euro 6 engine with a 6 speed manual, plus £240 tax (some are much costlier). The triple seat belted rear seat makes a full width bed, the middle row belted seats swivel as does the front passenger seat in ours. They all move on rails and all the rear seats can be removed, so effectively, you can have a camper and a van for moving things around. We never cooked anything other than toast in the Bongo and the sink never had any water down it! We now have a Campingaz portable 2 burner stove and a Ridge Monkey cooking pan. Most of the time we eat out, so unless you plan on wild camping there won't be much cooking to be done. We bought a pop up toilet tent to get changed in and that's it. Very easy to get carried away like we did at first in the Bongo and end up getting loads of kit we never used. Highly recommend a Caravelle but that's just us. It was the versatility that swung it for us, we can get away and camp and other times we can take friends or family on days out etc.
The most important part is getting out and using the van, whatever you end up with. Good luck on your search!

s-l1600.jpg

Back