To change tyres or not...

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
So we go away a week Sunday on our 5-6 week Euro jaunt but... my bloody outer edges are pretty worn on both front tyres. And they are pretty low rent Bridgestone Turanzas (thanks VW; it's only a 50 grand van you tightwads).
The rest of the tread is almost untouched.

Do I try and get some decent All Weathers fitted before we go or just leave it? We do go a fair bit off road when free camping.

It'll be a £600+ hit but could be worth it.

Hmmmm.

Thinking Michelin CrossClimates (have some on our Subaru and they're great), Goodyears or Nokians.

Thoughts?

Well as usual I just went ahead and decided!
Replacement OEMs (Bridgestone Turanzas which I thought were cheap) were £150 each (!), Goodyear Vectors were £160 each so ordered a set of them plus full laser alignment to be done on Monday.

Certainly sped up my early thoughts about changing the rather unsuitable tyres VW puts on its 4wd vans..

Probably a wise choice to have fresh shoes before a road trip.

I used to buy Continentals and other branded tyres but realised you can get just as good for less and with the mileage I do it makes no sense. My personal favs are Vredesteins although they have started to creep up in price.

Vreds are good and they do good Winter tyres too.
Not fussed about brand but I am happy to spend more on the right tyres; Michelins (CrossClimate and Pilot Supersports) on the cars, soon Goodyears on the van.

Well as usual I just went ahead and decided!
Replacement OEMs (Bridgestone Turanzas which I thought were cheap) were £150 each (!), Goodyear Vectors were £160 each so ordered a set of them plus full laser alignment to be done on Monday.

Certainly sped up my early thoughts about changing the rather unsuitable tyres VW puts on its 4wd vans..
those Bridgestone's are more expensive than i realised?, I think All-Season/Weathers are the way to go for a Multi-Purpose Vehicle, and if you have 4wd, it is a shame to let the rubber compromise your flexibility.:thumbsup:

Watch the noise ratings, I just replaced Nokians with Goodyears and the 4 dB noise reduction makes a massive difference to comfort.

What mileage did you get out of those first boots @Polzeylad???
I'm not even on 7k miles yet...!
I got to 14k on the old Cali before they went in the same way - the rear got to 21k miles.
So I have near perfect rears (I might try and sell them!) but heavily worn outer edges on the fronts. All thanks to pants alignment by VW.
Slightly unimpressed.

Mont - uh oh... The Cali is VERY well sound insulated though; fully double glazed (except the cab), thick insulation elsewhere. It's a pretty quiet ride. Getting them partly to have stronger rubber, better mud grip and some chance of grip in snow and ice. Daft Bridgestones (who make rubbish tyres IMO) aren't up to the job.

those Bridgestone's are more expensive than i realised?, I think All-Season/Weathers are the way to go for a Multi-Purpose Vehicle, and if you have 4wd, it is a shame to let the rubber compromise your flexibility.:thumbsup:
I'd checked them out and for normal cars they are no more than a mid range sports tyres. For the vans they are stamped with "made for VW" logos and therefore twice the price...

That's interesting, mine came on Goodyear Vectors as did my T5 so I assumed they were cheap crap!

I'm not even on 7k miles yet...!
I got to 14k on the old Cali before they went in the same way - the rear got to 21k miles.
So I have near perfect rears (I might try and sell them!) but heavily worn outer edges on the fronts. All thanks to pants alignment by VW.
Slightly unimpressed.

Mont - uh oh... The Cali is VERY well sound insulated though; fully double glazed (except the cab), thick insulation elsewhere. It's a pretty quiet ride. Getting them partly to have stronger rubber, better mud grip and some chance of grip in snow and ice. Daft Bridgestones (who make rubbish tyres IMO) aren't up to the job.
One of my front tyres has the same uneven wear on the edge. I've decided it's cheaper to buy a full set of new tyres and wheels and sell my existing alloys with partially worn tyres than replace just one tyre. Mad but true. It means I start again.
Laser alignment could be a good shout to try and and avoid this in future.

Just put some Eagle F1 assymetric 2 on all round and so far I'm loving them. No Assymetric 3 available in my size.

Yoko Ad08r on the Honda. Nothing else comes close. (don't don't them below 0 degrees c however)

I've got the Cargo Vector 2's on my T6, they are a good comprise than going full All Terrains

I find they don't make much noise, seem better made thanks those Bridgestones, you have made the right choice swapping them over before a big trip

It'll be interesting to see how they wear, even after the new alignment

Do not underestimate the noise rating on tyres. Replaced Michelins with Pirellis and there is a significant increase in road noise.....and this is on a top spec Fiesta, which is now noisier to ride in than my Audi with big boots and no metal roof!

The first thing I look at is the wet weather performance but thats most likely due to driving RWD cars and living in a place where it always p!sses it down.

Noise rating is difficult to measure as different tyres resonate at different frequencies in different cars. So noise level might be higher on one tyre but it's at a lower frequency and less audible to us.

Back