Tiny Engine, Massive Output

Jonny

204PS/Highline/Kombi/LWB/T32
T6 Guru
I did post this elsewhere but it got me thinking...

How the hell is this possible!?

1.5l, 3 Cylinder, 400BHP and only weighing in at 40kg.

I noticed even the 204ps engines are small but this is mind boggling.

Electric units are a way off yet for commercial vehicles surely but I wonder if this is the very near future.

IMG_2680.JPG

Think that photo is a bit far fetched, have you tried picking up 40kg, doubt he would be standing like that if it weighed that much

Think that photo is a bit far fetched, have you tried picking up 40kg, doubt he would be standing like that if it weighed that much
I actually pick up over 40kgs on a daily basis and still can bust out a cheeky smile. I do get what you mean though but still...40kgs for an engine block...impressive.

Modern high pressure turbo's, high compression engines with digitised systems can perform way above that levels.

It's mostly about crazy tolerances and highly sensitive monitoring.

BMW were pioneers on electronic fuel/air/exhaust management getting rid of the cam shaft/belts and using high speed electronic actuation for the valves.

This allows constant pressures but small openings, using the valves opening partially to maintain fuel air mixtures and back pressures etc.

This also does away with drag and heat associated with the moving parts, bearings and belts.

This has prompted a move from 12v electrics to higher levels (24/48v).

I guess there's less parts to go into an engine now too. From what I've read there's petrol engines that have no need for spark plugs or cams. It all boils down to high sensitivity monitoring like you said @Chrisfraser05.

I throw a 40kg lens up onto my shoulder several times a day when at work. I'm no Geoff Capes, 40kgs is heavy but not that heavy. I do have a bad back though!

A rather bare engine block but still impressive would be fun in a small hatchback. Not enough torque for anything bigger though. Engine technology is mind blowing now. What could be done with a modern take on a 2 stroke? Little engines that are built to price in gardening machines are impressive enough.
Baz

High power, small engines have been around for ages - the problem is making the power usable.
Take motorbike engines as a real world example, you can go and buy a 1 litre, 4 cylinder modern sport bike that makes close to 200BHP out of the showroom - but at 13,500 RPM.
But torque is the problem, 83lb/ft at 10,500 RPM for the bike engine compared to 250lb/ft at 1500-3000RPM for a 150 diesel.

I throw a 40kg lens up onto my shoulder several times a day when at work. I'm no Geoff Capes, 40kgs is heavy but not that heavy. I do have a bad back though!
I could pick up a blacksmith anvil once now I'd struggle to move it. 40Kgs was no problem once but why put your back out lifting it now

I could pick up a blacksmith anvil once now I'd struggle to move it. 40Kgs was no problem once but why put your back out lifting it now

Unfortunately I don't have a choice, and bizarrely has I've got older some of the equipment we use has got heavier. The light weight revolution hasn't got to us yet!

Back