CXGB Can't Fit Timing Locks

ScotVan

Hi all,

New to the forum. I have a 17 plate EU spec T6 Transporter that's giving me some hassle.
In summary, it's a 2.0 CXGB engine with the 6 speed manual transmission. I bought the van damaged with the engine partially stripped. The engine mount, aux and cam belts had been removed. The cam belt was frayed on the edges and a piece had been torn off but is otherwise intact. So I assumed the worse and took the cylinder head off to take a look. With the crank locked at TDC, pistons 1 and 4 sat flush as expected and there wasn't any damage on top of the pistons. The valves all looked good and they also sat flush with the head. So I renewed the head gasket and refitted the cylinder head as per the manual. Everything rotates freely and there's no signs of any major damage or faults with the engine that I can see.

Here's where I'm stuck.

With the Genuine VW crank lock fitted (yes I bought the cheap one and then the real one) I can't fit the camshaft locking pin. When I rotate the camshaft to align the two holes up, the #4 cylinder (The one nearest the cam belt) exhaust valves hit the piston preventing me from inserting the pin. (Sorry for the lack of pictures so far, will fix later) My first thought was that it might be the head gasket is the wrong thickness but the pin is about 1 to 2 times the OD of the hole away from being lined up. So I do not believe that's the issue. Same goes if I try it in reverse. If I insert the camshaft locking pin first then the locking pin on the crank lock sits a full pins width either side of the keyway it's meant to fit into.

As it sits now I have no idea what's up with it. My only guess is that there's something wrong in the camshaft housing. Either the cam has sheared or something.
Has anyone seen this before or know of any common faults with the timing which might cause this?

Perhaps a bad camshaft module?

Hi all,

New to the forum. I have a 17 plate EU spec T6 Transporter that's giving me some hassle.
In summary, it's a 2.0 CXGB engine with the 6 speed manual transmission. I bought the van damaged with the engine partially stripped. The engine mount, aux and cam belts had been removed. The cam belt was frayed on the edges and a piece had been torn off but is otherwise intact. So I assumed the worse and took the cylinder head off to take a look. With the crank locked at TDC, pistons 1 and 4 sat flush as expected and there wasn't any damage on top of the pistons. The valves all looked good and they also sat flush with the head. So I renewed the head gasket and refitted the cylinder head as per the manual. Everything rotates freely and there's no signs of any major damage or faults with the engine that I can see.

Here's where I'm stuck.

With the Genuine VW crank lock fitted (yes I bought the cheap one and then the real one) I can't fit the camshaft locking pin. When I rotate the camshaft to align the two holes up, the #4 cylinder (The one nearest the cam belt) exhaust valves hit the piston preventing me from inserting the pin. (Sorry for the lack of pictures so far, will fix later) My first thought was that it might be the head gasket is the wrong thickness but the pin is about 1 to 2 times the OD of the hole away from being lined up. So I do not believe that's the issue. Same goes if I try it in reverse. If I insert the camshaft locking pin first then the locking pin on the crank lock sits a full pins width either side of the keyway it's meant to fit into.

As it sits now I have no idea what's up with it. My only guess is that there's something wrong in the camshaft housing. Either the cam has sheared or something.
Has anyone seen this before or know of any common faults with the timing which might cause this?
My inexpert guess is that the lobes on the camshaft are pressed on to the shaft and one or more has turned when it hit a piston before you owned the van, your camshaft(s) needs replacing.
Remember, I'm no expert! Seek a second opinion before buying a new camshaft.

Last edited:
Hi MMI & DaveD,

Really appreciate the help on this one, it's given me plenty to go on. I think from looking at it that its most likely a pair of twisted cam lobes. I had no idea the lobes where floating on the camshaft. New cars eh. Love forums, full of experts. I'll have a look and post my fix.

If the locks are in correctly, you have spun lobes. It's a common failure if the timing slips, that and shattered rockers.
The valves and pistons normally get away with it.

Back