Tie Rod dramas

Lukavell

DITryer. Sold!
T6 Legend
I've been fitting the first Koni front shock and T32 springs today supplied by Sterve @CRS Performance, hard work but I'm nearly done and the next one won't take so long!

Has anyone else had to replace the steering rack tie rod when working on shocks/springs?

I ask because the torx or allan hole ( can't tell which) at the bottom of the ball joint bolt is completely rounded. When I try to tighten the nut onto the bolt it just spins around. The nut came off easily enough though and the autodoc video I watched just shows it going straight on. The only way I can see round it is to replace them with new.

I'm replacing the drop links as the bolts rounded on one of them too. I went for the Meyle upgraded set which I though was a bargain at £35 delivered. I've just got to wait for them to arrive now...

Try cleaning the taper and corresponding arm with brake cleaner it should make the faces bite each other without the need for a torx/Allen bit holding it. Give the track rod a tap into the arm to seat it.

Try cleaning the taper and corresponding arm with brake cleaner it should make the faces bite each other without the need for a torx/Allen bit holding it. Give the track rod a tap into the arm to seat it.

Will do, cheers @Jack T. I'll let you know how I get on.

I've been fitting the first Koni front shock and T32 springs today supplied by Sterve @CRS Performance, hard work but I'm nearly done and the next one won't take so long!

Has anyone else had to replace the steering rack tie rod when working on shocks/springs?

I ask because the torx or allan hole ( can't tell which) at the bottom of the ball joint bolt is completely rounded. When I try to tighten the nut onto the bolt it just spins around. The nut came off easily enough though and the autodoc video I watched just shows it going straight on. The only way I can see round it is to replace them with new.

I'm replacing the drop links as the bolts rounded on one of them too. I went for the Meyle upgraded set which I though was a bargain at £35 delivered. I've just got to wait for them to arrive now...
I had to replace both mine with new ones. Same problem as you. Have sprayed everything under there wilt bilt hamber clear wax for a bit of corrosion protection.

I usually pull into the taper with a plain nut then once seated tightly refit the nyloc.

I had to replace both mine with new ones. Same problem as you. Have sprayed everything under there wilt bilt hamber clear wax for a bit of corrosion protection.

Found a set on ebay for decent money. I'll buy them tomorrow if no joy with cleaning a bit of persuasion.

I usually pull into the taper with a plain nut then once seated tightly refit the nyloc.

Good idea, I can't see it working in this case although it might when I've cleaned it.

Back