Thule Omnistor 4900 Fixing To Van

did you ask about rain guard , its come as a question on my ph but not showing here !! yes i did fit it between the brackets , it glues to the back of the casing.
Its a bit fiddly, the instructions suggested fitting insitu , I thought that would be hard work so marked the casing up and fitted whilst on the ground. Suggestion for another time is once you have dry fitted it and decided on the alignment mark that line with a length of masking tape and work to it , you would get a 'straighter' job. Jeff

ha! yes i did as i had looked at the wrong photo..then i saw it :) ok thanks. im just trying to source these brackets.. seems like thule missed 2021 production..

Hi see pic below ,this is what was in my kit, its no more than 3 inch wide , and shaped to sit on the curve of the casing,
In reality the multi rail has a slight curve in it and the 4900 casing is obviously dead straight so it lies unequal in the multi rail channel , you might be able to see that from one of the other photos , but it works a treat , if it was deeper it would be easier to fit insitu and then may be would lie more equal in the rail , but then it would not be straight/level on the casing , not that you can see it.
Jeff

20210828_104011.jpg

@wildjeff question for you - did you fit the reimo rail aswell? i have my rails and the sika, i have the aktivator and primer but im trying to understand if i use both of these or just the primer?
I've found a good video from reimo austrailia and he mentions primer but not the aktivator?

any clues?

Why don't either of the major manufacturers make a set of adaptors that would fit straight into the roof rail channel ?
I have a pop top roof and the rear mounting is going to have to go just at the back of the scissor hinge area.
If they made an adaptor with a flat bottom fixing into the channel it could go beneath the scissor hinge and be clamped down by it.
Something like this..
PerfectAdapter.jpg

Reactions: JOG
Further issues fitting the Thule 5102, location of the brackets...
The instructions suggest mounting the front bracket over the seam between front and sliding doors, equal overhang each side, then locating the rear bracket 2004mm from the front edge of the front bracket.
Now this puts the rear bracket quite close to the rear end of the channel.
The awning shell came ready drilled with two holes to insert bolts through to secure the tube to the brackets, but with the brackets in these suggested locations, the tube would overhang the rear bracket by about 200mm and put it out beyond the rear door??
I think I'm going to have to redrill the mounting holes to move the tube further forwards.
Anyone else had this issue?

awningmounting.jpg

hmm @Grim Reaper the 4900 seems totally different in the dimensions of the brackets.. i'll see if i can get the image up later..

1631104094344.png

obviously the dims are taken from different reference points so would need to measure the brackets to be sure apples are apples..

@Grim Reaper

Are both your brackets symmetrical? I have a short one for the front and a longer one for the rear (with an offset front plate to account for the drop at the rear end of the roof)IMG20210908163558.jpgIMG20210908163645.jpg

I have 2 sets of brackets (or will do). The ones that came with the 4900 that are for no multirail, but I want to use the same ones as @wildjeff and have just found a set in Poland.. I'll see if I get them delivered to me (there is a global shortage). Will update when I get them but I think they are all similar to yours.

I put about 30cm of tube each side of the mounts, 177cm between front of each mount, the front one I used a bit of spare aluminium tube to allow me to use two of the existing roof rail mounting holes and with the rear mount I had to drill and fit a couple of rivnuts (hex type). With a stainless washer under the rear most bolt between van and mount, the two mounts are in line with no drop at the rear.

IMG20210913175352.jpgIMG20210913175410.jpg

Last edited:
@Grim Reaper ok looks good - I've now received my brackets but they are the wrong ones so im not going to fit them. I have very similar brackets to yours but i wanted to have the reimo rail to ensure that rainwater and water off the roof doesnt come down to the passenger window (we're on lhd).. How are you doing this or not bothering?

well peed off with this shop in poland who sold me the brackets only to get them 2wks later and discover they are the fiamma ones..

I ended up buying the Thule foam gasket (at an eyewatering £40 for two 2m lengths) which I have stuck to the awning casing back, this then seals against the van and stops the water getting to the sliding door opening.
I had to go with the Thule part as I couldn't find a closed cell foam that was thick enough to bridge the gap and not let water past the gasket/van join. It is 25mm thick.

I ended up buying the Thule foam gasket (at an eyewatering £40 for two 2m lengths) which I have stuck to the awning casing back, this then seals against the van and stops the water getting to the sliding door opening.
I had to go with the Thule part as I couldn't find a closed cell foam that was thick enough to bridge the gap and not let water past the gasket/van join. It is 25mm thick.
Ok great. But you don't do anything for the front door? Do you not get water running from the roof into for ex the open front window when you drive away somewhere?

edit: i was also liking the reimo rail/thule fixation whereas you can remove all but the bottom part if necessary (cant actually think of a need but still).. Do you happen to have a photo showing the awning fitted? esp near the front door please ?! thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have Heko wind deflectors on the front windows so no issue with water ingress.
I have left a gap at the rear of the foam strip just before the mounting bracket, any water on top of the foam strip will be able to exit there (around the middle of the rear window) so missing the sliding door opening, if it causes any other issues I'll just block that gap and move the drain point further rearward.
pictures are front to rearIMG20210926192546.jpgIMG20210926192625.jpgIMG20210926192635.jpg

ok thanks alot for that, i have deflectors also but was looking for the rail fixation... im not really sure what to do now as this fixation seems to be unavailable unless you buy the thule and fixing kit as a one... and i didnt.. :-(

This looks very similar, though both appear to be the same size, whereas mine were different.

This is the Thule item, not in stock but it may assist in finding some if you want to go original.

hello @Grim Reaper , thanks for having a look for me.
I have this kit that came with the awning:

edit: ahhhh i hadnt seen your 2nd bit in the post.. yes its the equivalent of that i have for the 4900

im just not sure if not putting the multirail on is a mistake.. all personal opinions etc obviously!

question for you - how easy was it to position these two fixations for you? my thought is getting them aligned vertically and horizontally..?!

Back