Thinking of upgrading my van, prices seem to have gone mad

jimjones235

VIP Member
I'm thinking of selling my 17 plate cherry red factory T32 kombi (highline) ready for an upgrade, but prices seem to have gone mad. Equivilent vans seem to sell for between 18K and 27k, mines in good nick, sound proofed, insulated and carpet lined and done 60k, so I'm thinking towards the top end of that - or is that just wishful thinking? £25k seems like a high cost, or is that the going rate?

I've been on top of servicing, but it looks like I'm overdue a cambelt change, do I shell out before the sale? similarly it's got a few minor stone chips and hairline scratches, sort those before, or is it better to sell as is so the buyer can see exactly what they are getting?

Last edited:
I'm thinking of selling my 17 plate cherry red factory T32 kombi (highline) ready for an upgrade, but prices seem to have gone mad. Equivilent vans seem to sell for between 18K and 27k, mines in good nick, sound proofed, insulated and carpet lined and done 60k, so I'm thinking towards the top end of that - or is that just wishful thinking? £25k seems like a high cost, or is that the going rate?

I've been on top of servicing, but it looks like I'm overdue a cambelt change, do I shell out before the sale? similarly it's got a few minor stone chips and hairline scratches, sort those before, or is it better to sell as is so the buyer can see exactly what they are getting?

If I were you I'd get the cambelt done. Many of us wouldn't want to risk buying a van privately and the cam belt snapping on the drive home.

Reactions: Bav
I agree with @DaveD - I'm not at all mechanically-minded, but even I'd more than likely skip over any ad for a 6-year old van that hadn't had the cambelt replaced.

Reactions: CAB
Unless you were in Germany, then it's not a worry and good for another 100k and 4 years :think smile bounce:

Joking aside, that's a fair point, it's due MOT in september, so may as well put it through a full service/cam belt/water pump and MOT before selling..

Last edited:
Belts still got another 60k miles in it yet, guidelines are now 120/130k and age doesnt matter
I was about to get my cam-belt done then read about this. Probably get it done next year though. I have an Oct 2018 plate with only 15,650 on clock. I remember my Renault Scenic 57 plate where Arnold clark were recommending anti freeze change, brake fluid change, a nd some other hydraulic fluid change when the car had only 5,000 miles on the clock. When I sold it 10 years later, I still had not done any of what they suggested and the car was running like a dream

I was about to get my cam-belt done then read about this. Probably get it done next year though. I have an Oct 2018 plate with only 15,650 on clock. I remember my Renault Scenic 57 plate where Arnold clark were recommending anti freeze change, brake fluid change, a nd some other hydraulic fluid change when the car had only 5,000 miles on the clock. When I sold it 10 years later, I still had not done any of what they suggested and the car was running like a dream
Do you have a source? I'll probably get it changed anyway, will make it easier to sell..

I find it slightly humorous that ever since I’ve joined the forum, members have been disgruntled that the UK has shorter cam belt intervals than Europe. Now they’re aligned people are saying they’re not happy with the European interval and are going to change them anyway! :)

Just found it on the site.. The time rule never made sense to me, hence me not replacing it so far... but some buyers might be put off I guess (at least until it becomes more common knowledge).

Regardless... fair price, or am I in cloud cuckoo land?

I'd be far more likely to buy something similar with bills showing the cam belt and water pump had been replaced and round we go again for lap two. :whistle:

Reactions: Bav
Source: as in, where'd you hear about the change in requirement, was it VW?
I actually called VW dealer (Lookers Glasgow) They were telling me 120k miles but said should be done when vehicle is four years old. I suppose money for them if i was to get it done but I’m waiting unitl next year unless i sell it. I only have 15,650 on the clock

I can recommend Lookers in Bailleston by the way, thank you Kate on the service side :thumbsup: , after they squeezed our camper in and sorted my Adblu problem while we were staying at my lads in Cambuslang.
Going back to your T6 we'll all be a lot more helpful if you're getting another Transporter!

Yeah... got my eye on a 2022 t32 :) Basically, I was looking at getting the suspension upgraded in the van, then realised that's £2k I'd never recoupe, so going to get a newer van do the work, and keep it forever :)

Just found it on the site.. The time rule never made sense to me, hence me not replacing it so far... but some buyers might be put off I guess (at least until it becomes more common knowledge).

Regardless... fair price, or am I in cloud cuckoo land?
The prices have gone mad mate! I bought my camper conversion in august of 2020 and the same place is offerings me more than I paid for it to buy it back from me. That being said i popped into a dealer the other day and he said the market is currently flooded with VW camper conversions, so who knows?!

Yeah, advertising for £27k... I think that seems reasonable based on what else is around.. seems a lot to me, but then the cost of the replacement van seems even crazier, and I just bought a banana in the local shop for £1, so it's all relative I guess.

Back