Thermostat - Where Do You Mount Yours?

Ads_Essex

Local lowlife
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
As per the title, I’m curious to find out where everyone has mounted their night-heater thermostat.

I ask as our camper conversion is nearly complete and I’m struggling to find a location that is both practical for use as well as being at a decent distance from the heater outlet.

We’ve got a regular layout with both a rock ‘n roll bed and a pop top bed, and the heater is a Propex with the outlet exiting the rear of the drivers’ seat base, aimed horizontally. The outlet is roughly in line with the edge of the kitchenette, so circulation should be ok.

The paperwork tells me to mount it between the waist and the shoulder, out of direct sunlight and away from sources of heat or draught.

I’d like it on the roof console - like it is in the Cali - so I can reach it from the pop-top.. but will this mean that it won’t detect when it’s cold at the back of the van?

The rear offside window is another contender.. but then I can’t reach it from the pop-top.

How about the b-pillar? Ah, then it’s out of sight, out of reach and probably too close to the outlet.

At the d-pillar? Then I’ll never be able to turn it on from the pop-top..!

So, ladies and gents, where’s your thermostat, why is it there, and does it function as you want it to?

With your preferred roof console location, no, it won't detect when it's cold at the back of the van but, with the heater outlet blowing horizontal toward the back of the van, if it's cold at the back, it will be cold everywhere.

In winter, with the heater running, away from the outlet, the coldest part of the van will be the pop-top and the warmest, when the bed platform is down, will be the seat/bed below - the bed platform traps the heat very well which is why when it's just the two of us in the van we still lower the pop-top bed when sleeping on the RIB below.

I'd say mount the controller where it is most practical and accessible from the position you intend sleeping - don't worry about what temperature you need to set it at because you will soon work out what is comfortable for you - treat the degrees c as a guide not a definite measure of temperature e.g. overnight we set our Eberspacher at around 13c but the actual temperature where we sleep is much warmer than this. In daytime mode, with the bed platform raised, we tend to set the temperature at around 18c but again the actual temperature is more comfortable than this.

My understanding with my Webasto is that it measures the air temperature from the inlet air temperature (which is by the front step). I have the digital controller, but as previous post says, the temp on there doesn’t necessarily relate to the temperature that the van feels.

I use about 12 degrees when leaving on overnight.

My controller is on the side panel as per photo.

A62B52C1-15A7-4B9C-83D8-053CFAD92104.jpeg

I ended up putting it on the dash, in front of the bank of blank switches.
I’ll be able to switch it on / off when driving, and it’s halfway between the lower bed and pop-top bed.

4A831A2F-99CF-427F-B2A5-7283846EA371.jpeg

My Cali Beach had an after market Eberspacher diesel heater fitted before I owned it. It's great apart from the controls are in a really weird location:
PXL_20230105_135501213.jpg

Yup, stuck to a junction box stuck on the side of the passenger seat base. (Excuse the lack of hoovering in that photo...)

I'm planning to move it, but can't decide where to - where have you all put yours? On the dash? B pillar? Etc...

Don't think the wires have much available slack but I presume these can just spliced to extend.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Here's the one on our Beach, near side b-pillar facing in to the van:Screenshot_20230106-083611.jpg
We did consider putting above the driver's seat belt on the b-pillar, but apparently it may interfere with the movement of the seat belt and I'm most likely to use it when in the van.

I put mine above the seat belt on the b-pillar - you have to be careful to secure the cable so that it doesn't come into contact with the seat belt and high enough above to allow the movement of the belt height adjustment. That way it accessible from front and rear. Down near the floor between the seats seems crazy to me - I would hit that every time with my boots as I walk through.

Mine is on the forward facing wall of the wardrobe in the back so that it can be reached from the bed.

Night time heating more important than daytime.

1673001410215.png

My advice as with all lit panels is to position them so the LED is not visible when you are trying to sleep. Even better try not to fill the van with Gizmos that light it up like a Christmas tree.

Thanks all - I shall have a poke around and see what looks sensible.

It's current location is certainly inconvenient - it's been kicked quite a lot and uses valuable "road trip snacks" space!

Back