Thermocall TC4 Issue

Ian28

T6 Guru
Hi, every 6 months I need to replace the SIM in my ThermoCall because every 6 months I forget to top it up & it deactivates. Replaced it and put the new details in the App 3-4 hours ago but it’s not working. The green indicator light on the dash button gives 2 flashes every second or so - the first is short and the second is longer. Does this indicate a network error & I perhaps just need to give the new card longer to activate? Cheers, Ian. PS Webasto heater works fine itself.

Hi, every 6 months I need to replace the SIM in my ThermoCall because every 6 months I forget to top it up & it deactivates. Replaced it and put the new details in the App 3-4 hours ago but it’s not working. The green indicator light on the dash button gives 2 flashes every second or so - the first is short and the second is longer. Does this indicate a network error & I perhaps just need to give the new card longer to activate? Cheers, Ian. PS Webasto heater works fine itself.
Not an answer to your query, but going forward. I got an Asda mobile SIM for my TC4 on the advice of the Webasto rep. I put £10 on it 4 years ago & it’s still got £5.16 on it, despite frequent use including 2 x 6 week Skiing trips. As long as you send at least 1 text message every 6 months, it stays active & the credit doesn’t lapse. I just have a recurring reminder in my diary to send a status request every 5 months.

Thanks guys. When I get it going I’ll set a phone diary reminder to save me going through this trauma twice yearly…

Update - still not working! Both the SIM card and the fuse are fine and the heater itself works normally with manual controls. The indicator light is pointing to a network error (ruled out as SIM worked in my phone) or antenna error. Not sure how the latter would happen since nothing has altered and would be a pain to dismantle it all to check. Any easy way to check antenna viability without taking everything to pieces?

I had something similar recently with a cheap ebay tracker. The SIM card had to be 2G compatible, apparently some aren't, they're only 3G & 4G. Also have you have to make sure the SIM PIN number is switched off. Have you entered the new SIM card number into the app?

Thanks SS, it’s the same type of Tesco Mobile SIM that worked before so compatibility I’m assuming is fine. The new SIM number (and my mobile) are in the App. I don’t know what a SIM PIN number is and how to switch it off so would appreciate advice. When I put the new SIM in my phones and called it from the house phone it all worked OK if that helps.

Re the SIM PIN, you put the SIM into an ordinary phone, go into settings & switch off the SIM PIN request. The SIM pin should be printed on the SIM package.

It started working out of the blue before I had the chance to check the SIM PIN! Give me mechanical levers and buttons over Apps and electronics any day - at least when they don’t work you know why.

Back