The numerous loaners I've had and what I've learned...

This whole fuel consumption thing is unbelievable. My mpg has improved with the weather......no surprise really. Just driven from Wetherby to Northumberland......light traffic.....4 of us and luggage and food. According to the Multi Fantasy Display, we did smack on 50 mpg. My MFD is so far out though, in actual fact that will be 44 to 45 mpg.....still not bad though. I drove a dsg caddy loaner while mine was in at JCT 600 York for the recall. I thought the DSG was awful.......I thought the DSG on Mrs MD's polo was awful too, I love the auto in her current mini and I loved the auto in my 51 plate 320 touring. They really are an acquired taste......and I haven't acquired it!!!

There needs to be a software upgrade for the dsg in reverse gear:unsure:
Any idea what you average mpg? we can't seem to get 30mpg:confused:
MFD reads about 2-3 mpg above actual, so currently showing 38 mpg would equal 35 mpg over 9k miles mixed driving.
On a run at 70 mph I can get 42mpg indicated so 39mpg real.
Interestingly if I go slower or faster mpg suffers it likes to be at 70 for economy.
If I rag it from cold on B roads in sport mode I can get it under 30 mpg, but not for long, a spirited drive on B roads averages 30 most days.

So with our manual Cali 204 4motion which weighs a heck of a lot plus four bikes on the back AND two boards on the roof (both aerodynamic suicide) we were getting well over 30mpg properly calculated. Mix of stop start rural roads and autoroutes.

I think that's bloody good.

So with our manual Cali 204 4motion which weighs a heck of a lot plus four bikes on the back AND two boards on the roof (both aerodynamic suicide) we were getting well over 30mpg properly calculated. Mix of stop start rural roads and autoroutes.

Christ.....so do I!!

See I think that's really bad. My work van sits around at 2.4tonnes both the old t5.1 and t6. Yet one got 35-39mpg and one gets 26-31mpg.
Yet removing weight from both vans never changed the economy much.

At 70mph I see 33mpg on the Mfd.

Im seriously considering swapping DSG for manual and 150ps for a 204ps.

Every auto I have driven in last 10 years has been perfectly adequate yet it appears VW are light years away from the rest.

See I think that's really bad. My work van sits around at 2.4tonnes both the old t5.1 and t6. Yet one got 35-39mpg and one gets 26-31mpg.
Yet removing weight from both vans never changed the economy much.

At 70mph I see 33mpg on the Mfd.

It's a LOT better than our last Cali!!
Probably our most economical vehicle (out of three); we don't really "do"'frugal cars.

Pukka; of course I'd have to agree.

With the 204 engine our dsg is great (apart from reversing uphill), is it the 150 engine combo that's the problem or am I just lucky?

Same as yours but even if I drive like a hooligan I can't get below 30. Totally agree reversed is ludicrous, our drive is on an upward slope and have to rev the nuts off to move it!
No :confused:! Do you see the same every time? 4-Motion :unsure:? Does the hill hold kick in if you stop while in the slope?

I have a carport with a slope just on threshold of her capability. Usually she goes this far (see picture, I apologize for her being dirty) - only idling, not touching the pedal (well, elevated idling controlled by ECU, no regen, etc). Very pleased with that because I can keep my feet ready for a brake. Measured pulling force is about 1500N (which equals about 340 lb, I think) - Other way round - forward - a lot, lot more. The pillar on the front is straight up at 90 deg.
Back_up_3.jpg
But, every now and then she is on bad/sad mood :oops: and doesn't even want to start the climb without revving. Simply limp :mad:.

Back