The numerous loaners I've had and what I've learned...

rmo69

T32 204 Kombi LWB
T6 Pro
So as some of you may know, I was one of the unfortunate souls to get lumbered with a permanently faulting 150 DSG. As I had not carried out any mods that weren't reversible, they had no choice but to take it back. I know some like @Twoguns haven't been as lucky, and I'm genuinely gutted for him and anyone else in the same boat, as it seems VW are making typically slow progress trying to get it sorted.

Anyhoo, they gave me a very nice 204 manual highline, much better MPG than the 150, smoother, quieter and I have to say, out of all the loaners they've given me and my previous vans, it's the best T van I've ever driven. So much so, I decided to go for 204 manual as my replacement van. Despite promising me the loan of this van for the duration, they went and sold it and I had to hand it back yesterday, and they've put me in a 204 DSG highline in the truly horrible holly green. What I've noticed straight away is the MPG, which is fully 6 MPG worse than the manual, both in how much it's physically using, and what the Multi Fiction Display states. Now in every piece of VW literature I've read, they claim the DSG is more efficient than the manual. From my experience (three manual three DSG loaners) this is clearly b@ll@cks - so why do they claim it, and how do they get away with it? In my business I'd be up on miss selling charges in a heart beat.

This new van has got the comfort dash though, which is absolutely excellent, unfortunately I've got a build week now and they can't add it. Which is more than annoying.

So as some of you may know, I was one of the unfortunate souls to get lumbered with a permanently faulting 150 DSG. As I had not carried out any mods that weren't reversible, they had no choice but to take it back. I know some like @Twoguns haven't been as lucky, and I'm genuinely gutted for him and anyone else in the same boat, as it seems VW are making typically slow progress trying to get it sorted.

Anyhoo, they gave me a very nice 204 manual highline, much better MPG than the 150, smoother, quieter and I have to say, out of all the loaners they've given me and my previous vans, it's the best T van I've ever driven. So much so, I decided to go for 204 manual as my replacement van. Despite promising me the loan of this van for the duration, they went and sold it and I had to hand it back yesterday, and they've put me in a 204 DSG highline in the truly horrible holly green. What I've noticed straight away is the MPG, which is fully 6 MPG worse than the manual, both in how much it's physically using, and what the Multi Fiction Display states. Now in every piece of VW literature I've read, they claim the DSG is more efficient than the manual. From my experience (three manual three DSG loaners) this is clearly b@ll@cks - so why do they claim it, and how do they get away with it? In my business I'd be up on miss selling charges in a heart beat.

This new van has got the comfort dash though, which is absolutely excellent, unfortunately I've got a build week now and they can't add it. Which is more than annoying.
MFD accuracy does seem to vary, mines always been within 2-3 mpg of actual and I'm averaging 35mpg mixed driving after 9k miles, can get 40mpg no problem on a steady run. I'm happy with that, not as happy as my Suzuki but that gets over 60pmg off a 1.2 petrol and weighs 850kg.....van is Exec 204 DSG 4mo

You're my new best friend. ;):thumbsup:

If you put the mpg aside how did you find the difference between the dsg and manual?

Do you think this is an issue with the 150 dsg specifically or just coincidence?

If you put the mpg aside how did you find the difference between the dsg and manual?
There is a lot I like about DSG - convenience is heavy traffic being the best. I just think they do unexpected things, like rolling backwards at hill junctions when the start/stop is on. Also I've noticed when coasting downhill, and you reapply the gas, it stubbornly refuses to change gear until about 3500rpm. But mostly I don't like the way VW claims it is more efficient than manual, all the DSG's I've had have all been markedly worse.

Do you think this is an issue with the 150 dsg specifically or just coincidence?
Judging by my experience and others I think the evidence points strongly towards 150 DSG being most likely to give you trouble, I could be wrong, and I don't know anyone whose got a 150 manual and I haven't driven one. There's plenty of folk on here though with far better qualified opinions than me.

There is a lot I like about DSG - convenience is heavy traffic being the best. I just think they do unexpected things, like rolling backwards at hill junctions when the start/stop is on. Also I've noticed when coasting downhill, and you reapply the gas, it stubbornly refuses to change gear until about 3500rpm. But mostly I don't like the way VW claims it is more efficient than manual, all the DSG's I've had have all been markedly worse.
@rmo69, Thanks for sharing these DSG-issues, and especially "coasting downhill..."thing. I have taken mine in a few times because of that, and actually demonstrated that also to a technician. And, we agreed that it is not correct operation. It's quite interesting that then doing a kind of recalibration of DSG by them it seems to go away for a month, or so. By the way, I could demonstrate the same also on a 204bhp + DSG. I have noticed this mostly on D2-D3. Any other gears on yours? I think I have seen in other threads comments which basically might be describing the same.

Unfortunately the VW a kind of puts this aside explaining the control from engine to be blame - because I have filed reports that my engine is doing things wrong - which shows up at the end as fluctuating fuel consumption. Anyways, I haven't given up on this one either. The thing seems to be that countrys HQ obviously needs certain count of "verified cases" before they pass it on, but if these "complaints" are rejected already at the dealer level...

@rmo69, Thanks for sharing these DSG-issues, and especially "coasting downhill..."thing. I have taken mine in a few times because of that, and actually demonstrated that also to a technician. And, we agreed that it is not correct operation. It's quite interesting that then doing a kind of recalibration of DSG by them it seems to go away for a month, or so. By the way, I could demonstrate the same also on a 204bhp + DSG. I have noticed this mostly on D2-D3. Any other gears on yours? I think I have seen in other threads comments which basically might be describing the same.

Unfortunately the VW a kind of puts this aside explaining the control from engine to be blame - because I have filed reports that my engine is doing things wrong - which shows up at the end as fluctuating fuel consumption. Anyways, I haven't given up on this one either. The thing seems to be that countrys HQ obviously needs certain count of "verified cases" before they pass it on, but if these "complaints" are rejected already at the dealer level...
Yes @mmi always D2 or D3 and it has happened in every DSG, the one I owned and the two that were loaned to me including this new one.

In the 204 manual that I had MPG was much better and far more consistent. All the DSG's I've had have given wildly fluctuating readings from the MFD on the same journeys under the same conditions. It started to drive me mad.

All in all I'm glad I've had a chance to move over to team manual, and it's nice over here, I think I'll stay awhile.

Reactions: mmi
Yes @mmi always D2 or D3 and it has happened in every DSG, the one I owned and the two that were loaned to me including this new one.

In the 204 manual that I had MPG was much better and far more consistent. All the DSG's I've had have given wildly fluctuating readings from the MFD on the same journeys under the same conditions. It started to drive me mad.

All in all I'm glad I've had a chance to move over to team manual, and it's nice over here, I think I'll stay awhile.
Excellent @rmo69- or actually horrible :(! Yes, that's what I have been seeing. Driving every day, same speed, same style, same conditions the same route the consumption fluctuates from 51mpg down to 28mpg.

So, I have handed over my diary to local VW representative. And, pointed out that I get several days in a row when mileage is 48..51mpg, and then several days in a row when mileage sticks around 28..35 mpg. The culmination point is the regeneration. Very soon after regen next 40...150 km (25...100 miles) mileage is really bad, and then it starts getting better and better, and eventually I'm driving with happy face last 100...200 km before next regen. Interesting thing is that during regeneration the consumption still is at reasonable level - hardly noticeable increase.

I have done this and documented for a while. And, actually the same goes on when I have do long full day trips - so it is not even matter of cold start (actually the coolant is always minimum 30C when I start). It is just crazy that actually I can predict o_O (this far 100% reliably) when the days of bad mileage start, so if anyone wants to verify this, I know when to do it. Anyways, this has been reported back to the factory by our VW HQ (at least that's what I have been told) - so we'll see.. perhaps... :unsure:

Take it you're firmly in the Team Manual camp?

For me DSG really wasnt worth it. I find allot of enjoyment in changing gears. I do loads of town driving around Nottingham which is renowned for being busy traffic central. Manual box is just fine for me.
I like the control.

Nothing against dsg it's just I'm better. Maybe when I'm older I might consider dsg but petrol van is my next priority come 2021 and the t7 when I'm due a new van.

Take it you're firmly in the Team Manual camp?
With the T6: definitely.
With our BM; had to be the excellent 8 speed ZF auto.
With our Subaru; the auto is dire so manual as well.

Depends on the vehicle.

And when we had a T5.1 140 DSG Velle as a courtesy car for two weeks it was DREADFUL on fuel; worse than our manual 180 4motion Cali (this was FWD and lighter); drove me nuts.

Last edited:
For me DSG really wasnt worth it. I find allot of enjoyment in changing gears. I do loads of town driving around Nottingham which is renowned for being busy traffic central. Manual box is just fine for me.
I like the control.

Nothing against dsg it's just I'm better. Maybe when I'm older I might consider dsg but petrol van is my next priority come 2021 and the t7 when I'm due a new van.
Nottingham? Well Ehyup Me Duck! I Live in Derby, but my shop's in Nottingham town centre.

With the T6: definitely.
With our BM; had to be the excellent 8 speed ZF auto.
With our Subaru; the auto is dire so manual as well.

Depends on the vehicle.

And when we had a T5.1 140 DSG Velle as a courtesy car for two weeks it was DREADFUL in fuel; worse than our manual 180 4motion Cali (this was FWD and lighter); drove me nuts.
Yeah, my wife's got a 5 series touring with the 8 speed auto, and she loves it, but she HATED the DSG in the van we handed back, and won't drive this new loaner.

Yeah, my wife's got a 5 series touring with the 8 speed auto, and she loves it, but she HATED the DSG in the van we handed back, and won't drive this new loaner.
Yep my wife was similarly unimpressed with the DSG box too. She loves the auto in the BM (ours is an M135i).

Multi Fiction Display did me me chuckle!

This is a very interesting thread, it would be be great if people could add to it.
Out 204 dsg 4 motion seems to do 28.5 mpg, pretty consistently (averaged over a full tank). The dsg in normal mode seems to keep the revs down, so you would think the it would be efficient. Both the Mrs and i are enthusiastic drivers (85mph on there motorway etc etc), but I don't have a 204 manual to compare against.
We both absolutely love the dsg, and would never go back to our T5 174 manual; but it is bloody awful in reverse.

This is a very interesting thread, it would be be great if people could add to it.
Out 204 dsg 4 motion seems to do 28.5 mpg, pretty consistently (averaged over a full tank). The dsg in normal mode seems to keep the revs down, so you would think the it would be efficient. Both the Mrs and i are enthusiastic drivers (85mph on there motorway etc etc), but I don't have a 204 manual to compare against.
We both absolutely love the dsg, and would never go back to our T5 174 manual; but it is bloody awful in reverse.
Same as yours but even if I drive like a hooligan I can't get below 30. Totally agree reversed is ludicrous, our drive is on an upward slope and have to rev the nuts off to move it!

Same as yours but even if I drive like a hooligan I can't get below 30. Totally agree reversed is ludicrous, our drive is on an upward slope and have to rev the nuts off to move it!
There needs to be a software upgrade for the dsg in reverse gear:unsure:
Any idea what you average mpg? we can't seem to get 30mpg:confused:

Back