Thatcham S5 /S5+ tracker recommendations

Vanda

T6 Pro
hi
I want to put a cat 5 tracker on my van.
Anyone got any recommendations or advice?
Thanks

I have a Trackstar on one of my other vehicles - the few times we have accidentally started and driven without the fobs we’ve had a phone call within a few minutes.

I'm interested in this too. I'm looking at insurance quotes for my new conversion and because of the value (£60k) the first company I have tried want a tracker fitted. Seems like a sensible suggestion. Insurance quote is £550.
Anyone local to Bristol had a Thatcham approved one fitted that you would recommend and what did you pay?

Cheers

Whilst it’s the top rated spec, my only slight concern with a cat 5 is that if you declare that you have one and the vehicle keys are stolen with the fob and/or you leave the fob in the car you give the insurers a potential get out. For this reason I have declared that I have a Thatcham approved tracker fitted but not that it is Cat 5 on my insurance. Our resident insurance guru, @PukkaT6 , may have a different view.

I have been shopping around for insurance and Brentacre are insisting on a cat s5 tracker. Does anyone know if its possible to get one with a sim only deal as I don't want to pay for something that is monitored as the van will be locked away in a garage when not in use please.

I`m not sure CAT S5 work like that as usually they are professionally installed, but I could be wrong. I have one but it`s monitored.

I have been shopping around for insurance and Brentacre are insisting on a cat s5 tracker. Does anyone know if its possible to get one with a sim only deal as I don't want to pay for something that is monitored as the van will be locked away in a garage when not in use please.
I was in the same situation with Brentacre a few years back, the S5 tracker was going to cost a small fortune with installation and subscription so I just valued the van slightly lower and then they didn’t require a tracker.
Don’t believe the marketing bollox about the Police being able to track your vehicle, the Police have more serious crime to deal with and they might have a look for the van once all the assaults and sex crimes are dealt with (read never).
I like the way that Brentacre record modifications but they are bloody expensive and take the piss when it comes to renewal quotes.
I’m with NFU now and they seem reasonable.

Brentacre told me that under 50K they didnt need a tracker. When I called them to inform of mods after conversion they said there wasnt any discount for tracker/dash cam etc. That may be down to the actual insurance company though, not sure.

Brentacre told me that under 50K they didnt need a tracker. When I called them to inform of mods after conversion they said there wasnt any discount for tracker/dash cam etc. That may be down to the actual insurance company though, not sure.
Brentacre are just the brokers, they obviously take commission from the underwriter but they also take about £80 every renewal added to the premium.

I was in the same situation with Brentacre a few years back, the S5 tracker was going to cost a small fortune with installation and subscription so I just valued the van slightly lower and then they didn’t require a tracker.
Don’t believe the marketing bollox about the Police being able to track your vehicle, the Police have more serious crime to deal with and they might have a look for the van once all the assaults and sex crimes are dealt with (read never).
I like the way that Brentacre record modifications but they are bloody expensive and take the piss when it comes to renewal quotes.
I’m with NFU now and they seem reasonable.
Brentacre arnt expensive for me. In fact significantly less than both NFU and A-plan.

I went for a 40k quote with Brentacre and was told I did NEED a tracker A-plan no tracker Adrian flux no tracker all the same underwriter

Post code makes a massive difference.
The question ‘where do you park the van at night’ bothers me. It’s a campervan, It get’s parked all over the place, sometimes with people sleeping in it, sometimes not.
Seems obvious to me that a campervan thief is more likely to attempt a theft in the day time than at night when there’s good chance there’s somebody sleeping in it.

It will depend on the Insurance company the Broker have matched you too regarding Tracker/ no tracker etc etc.

Having spoken to several insurance companies it looks like A-plan will be the best bet, they don't require a tracker, no time limit on getting the conversion done and no requirement when the van is at my home address to have it tucked up in my garage by 10am or the van won't be covered for theft!!!

It’s not A Plan or Brentacre that require a tracker, it’s the underwriters that they deal with.

hence why sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t want one, it’s at the whim of which of the underwriters are giving the best price

Last edited:
I’ve already got deadlocks and a ghost auto watch immobiliser, so I think that it’s well protected.

Insurance quotes are asking for an S5 Thatcham tracker.

So far I’ve got a Metatrack at £429 install and £150 pa

Can you get a category S5 cheaper?

I can install an Autowatch S5 for £350 and £159pa subscription which can be setup on direct debit. These are T6 Forum discounts normally supply and fit these for £399

Back