Thanks for the inclusion....

Jeff G

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Calling in to say Hi,

My name is registered as Jeff G. Based near Canterbury in Kent. I've recently purchased a 2022 Hillside Birchover Indium Grey 150ps Auto and am in the process of fitting it out with the necessary equipment in readiness for the first trip. I 'think' I have all the gear needed now! I've been lurking on the forum as a visitor for a couple of weeks, reading a lot of useful information and recommendations. With grateful thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, there are a few fellow Birchover owners here, I'm loving mine. The first thing to learn, is no matter what you "think" regarding the gear, you haven't even started, there is always something that you really, really do need :cool:

Greenmachine, Deaky,

Thanks for the welcome messages. The Birchover seems to fit my needs. I was quite lucky to find mine locally, basically as new and unused with 2700 miles on the clock. If I had wanted to chase something different it would have meant travelling up country. At least locally I have the dealership (Choose Leisure) within easy reach. I agree, there is always some gadget or other that is a 'must have'..... It is a bit of fun searching out those things though. I've based most of my purchasing upon recommendations gleaned here and from some Youtube videos. As I get to go out and use the vehicle I guess other stuff needed will rear its head. Meantime, I have the basics and have managed to stow those things in an orderly fashion. Really enjoying driving it, too. Next on the list is to find a suitable method of mounting the iPhone, getting a dash cam sorted and fitting an auxiliary battery monitor for the leisure battery... the Birchover just displays voltage and it would be better to have a bit more info.... Going to try out the Quicklynks Battery Monitor II.

Welcome Jeff - you’ll find people on the forum very helpful and supportive. Many are also very knowledgeable regarding our toys!

I use a Brodit phone bracket that clips onto the dash and a side adjustable phone mount.

Ian

Greenmachine, Deaky,

Thanks for the welcome messages. The Birchover seems to fit my needs. I was quite lucky to find mine locally, basically as new and unused with 2700 miles on the clock. If I had wanted to chase something different it would have meant travelling up country. At least locally I have the dealership (Choose Leisure) within easy reach. I agree, there is always some gadget or other that is a 'must have'..... It is a bit of fun searching out those things though. I've based most of my purchasing upon recommendations gleaned here and from some Youtube videos. As I get to go out and use the vehicle I guess other stuff needed will rear its head. Meantime, I have the basics and have managed to stow those things in an orderly fashion. Really enjoying driving it, too. Next on the list is to find a suitable method of mounting the iPhone, getting a dash cam sorted and fitting an auxiliary battery monitor for the leisure battery... the Birchover just displays voltage and it would be better to have a bit more info.... Going to try out the Quicklynks Battery Monitor II.
Forum tip for you Jeff: type an '@' before someone's username (like this @Jeff G) and that user will be notified that you've mentioned them. :thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Dash rubber, not glamorous first purchase but a lifesaver!

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome, nice looking van you must be itching to get out and start enjoying it !!

Theres a couple forum camping events coming up soon if you are looking to meet up with any fellow forumers and chat vans etc

@Pauly Definitely interested in meeting up if the dates and locations work for me. I do have a fair few trips in mind so far.... not many weeks free this year apart from late July and early August, but there may be a trip to France squeezed in there somewhere. :thumbsup:

My intention is to go local to some fishing lakes for a 'shakedown trip'... just to see if I have all I need to get by. Looking forward to that as it will be the first trip out. The main reason also is that I want to test the fridge, hot water and general stuff. I have bought the Eco-Flow Delta2 power pack as a possible backup power supply, though I am still looking at suitable Solar Panel options to add. With the Eco Flow, the Leisure battery and possible electric hookup, I should be fine. I've also fitted a Bluetooth Battery Monitor today to the leisure battery.... just to give me a bit more info on performance.

Next on the shopping list is a suitable outdoor carpet and an outside table..... :cool: Great fun being had here!

Afternoon @Jeff G ....well that's a coincidence, I'm just down the road from you. I parted with my "daily" this morning, and the shopping for my first van starts now. Hopefully see you around, or if there's a local meetup going on, then I'll pop along.

Cheers
Spencer

Last edited by a moderator:
@spenny_b Hi Spencer, Yes, a coincidence. I too am very local to you ... but not advertised exact location. The van is from Chartham. They had new Hillside in the showroom at the time I bought mine but it was a manual and approx 102PS?. A nice looking van but I really wanted the 150PS and an Auto. Sheer luck really that they had this one and it has not been used to any great extent. I am really pleased with it. It drives well and is very comfortable.

The biggest hassle in finding something, is the possible travelling up country to get what you want. There are some cracking vans about and finished to a very desirable spec, but a fair way away from our location. Have you made a call to Chartham to see what is on offer? Mind you I don't know what you are looking for re age, price, etc. They had a few second hand campers in but they were flying out the door very quickly at this time of year..... a sellers market for the VW camper vans!

Of course, once you have got the camper the fun really begins in getting it stocked with all the equipment you need. :):thumbsup:

Good luck with your search!

Cheers,
Jeff

Hi @Jeff G - yes I was over at Chartham a week or so ago, and I saw the van (I think) you're referring to. Agree, looks nice, I think it was the 110hp/5spd but like you I want the 150hp motor, as I'll be towing a couple of motorbikes with it.

Travelling up and down the country doesn't bother me *too* much, I'd far rather that and get the spec I'm after than not, it's something I've got used to doing over the years whilst hunting various cars and bikes.

I'm still debating the merits of converting my own, albeit it'll take far longer and I have other house and car projects to be getting on with....just struggling to get my head around the sheer cost of getting the spec I'd like [insert "spec-creep" here].

Cheers
Spencer

@spenny_b. Chartham have a new 150ps Auto in stock…. By Hillside. Are you into motorcycles? I was into classics for many years… restored a few.

@spenny_b. Chartham have a new 150ps Auto in stock…. By Hillside. Are you into motorcycles? I was into classics for many years… restored a few.
Ah, interesting, I'll take a look, thanks for the heads-up Jeff. Yep, very much into bikes (and cars....or anything fast really). Dream bike one day would be a Vincent Rapide just like my Grandad had, but I'm probably more into the "youngtimer" generation, late 90's > mid-noughties.

Back