TfL - Rotherhithe Tunnel fine

Well I'm £260 lighter in the bank this morning, funny thing is I took the tunnel to avoid the Zone 1 congestion charge! :mad:

Has anyone got any picture's of the entrance? As I have been fined £80 for using it but as I remember there was a lot of roadworks going on that day and I didn't see a barrier and signs just remember a lot of cones and about thirty workers standing about. If anyone is about there or knows of anyone around that area a picture would be very helpful.

Thank you.

north side . . google maps.

17mgt

1647614590693.png1647614648789.png

south side . .

1647614711999.png1647614728580.png

Yep I got stung a few months ago in my pick up apparently four doors and 5 seats still a van

Another transport for London cash making machine made up by the non car license holding driven everywhere mayor of London

Out of interest - What pics on that sign indicate that a T6 shouldn't go through? And presumably Kombi makes no difference

mine was for being over the 2.0T weight limit (as mines a T3.2 so 3.2T on the log book)

now website says:

Vehicles are not safe to travel through the Rotherhithe Tunnel if they are:

• More than 2 metres (6.5 feet) high OR
  • More than 2 metres (6.5 feet) wide OR
  • Goods vehicles weighing more than 2 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW)
Drivers of these vehicles could be fined up to £160 for every journey they make through the tunnel.

The Rotherhithe Tunnel was built in 1908 and was not designed to cope with modern levels of traffic. These restrictions help to ensure that road users can continue to use the tunnel safely while we work on plans for the tunnel's future.

We brought in the restrictions after a detailed analysis of the ventilation system which would extract smoke and other dangerous fumes from the tunnel in case of a fire.

Weight restriction​

Goods vehicles can't use Rotherhithe Tunnel if they have a GVW of more than 2 tonnes.

GVW is the maximum weight that the vehicle is legally permitted to be loaded to. It is also called the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or permissible maximum weight.

To find your vehicle's GVW you can check:

• The revenue weight listed on the vehicle's log book (V5C)
  • On the plate or sticker fitted to the vehicle
  • With the vehicle's manufacturer

If you've received a penalty​

Customers that receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) can, if they want, challenge it (also known as 'making a representation') on the Challenge a Penalty Charge notice page.

VW Transporter T6 and T6.1 GVW​

As of 2018, the pre-facelift Transporter T6 was available in five nominal gross vehicle weights (GVW), as follows:

• T26 - 2,600kg or 2.6 tonnes
  • T27 - 2,700kg or 2.7 tonnes (T6 only)
  • T28 - 2,800kg or 2.8 tonnes
  • T30 - 3,000kg or 3.0 tonnes
  • T32 - 3,200kg or 3.2 tonnes
For the T6.1 facelift, the T27 has been dropped, leaving the remaining four options as listed above.

GVW is the total legally allowed weight of the vehicle, including the people and everything else on board. As such, it's important to know exactly which variant you're driving, as this also defines the payload.

Most Transporters carry a badge on the back with the relevant T-number, but doublecheck with the weight plate to make sure.

+++++++++++

VW Transporter T6 sizeSWB Low roofSWB Medium roof*LWB Low roofLWB Medium roof*LWB High roof
Exterior length (mm)4,8924,8925,2925,2925,292
Exterior height (mm)1,9902,1761,9902,1762,477
Exterior width with mirrors (mm)2,2972,2972,2972,2972,297
Exterior width without mirrors (mm)1,9041,9041,9041,9041,904
Wheelbase3,0003,0003,4003,4003,400

The pictures aren't recent though, as you see the first picture we were funnelled down the left side then pushed back over to the right to enter the tunnel I didn't see one sign and on the way back was the same workmen everywhere blocking signage so I'm guessing if I state that then the fine should be dropped. (Fingers crossed)

so have they changed it now?

removed the 2.0T gvw, and upped it to 17T gvw?

Has anyone got any picture's of the entrance? As I have been fined £80 for using it but as I remember there was a lot of roadworks going on that day and I didn't see a barrier and signs just remember a lot of cones and about thirty workers standing about. If anyone is about there or knows of anyone around that area a picture would be very helpful.

Thank you.
can you post a pic of your ticket pls . . .

what is the actual offence for?

over weight?

it also says 2.0m wide . . .

but the T6 is 2.297m wide.

1647621646219.png

The 2 tonne signs aren't on the google streetview screenshot above, if they're there at the moment and the streetview image is out of date then fair enough. I would have thought all transporter variants would be over weight?

There's no allowance for dual purpose vehicles then? That would get a Kombi through

Width wise it's also a grey area, I'd go through a 6'6 width restriction on a road no problem because wing mirrors are above the poles

The 2 tonne signs aren't on the google streetview screenshot above, if they're there at the moment and the streetview image is out of date then fair enough. I would have thought all transporter variants would be over weight?

There's no allowance for dual purpose vehicles then? That would get a Kombi through

Width wise it's also a grey area, I'd go through a 6'6 width restriction on a road no problem because wing mirrors are above the poles
Like I've said at the time of using the tunnel there were a lot of roadworks going on at both sides (not sure about now although I'd say so with the amount of graft being done) lots of workmen with tools/bags/cones/equipment all over the place either the signs were blocked for viewing or taken down/moved I genuinely didn't see one sign for restrictions.

i went past today and took these on the north side of the tunnel . .

unfortunately the signs clearly show 2.0t weight limit.

on the tunnel approach road, and also the main road as well . . .

i counted 4 signs before the tunnel entrance.

+++

looks like that's - that - no vans over 2ton. - no T6`s or Vauxhalls.

1647885507284.png1647885537331.png1647885560506.png1647885588891.png

+++

VW Transporter T6 and T6.1 GVW​

As of 2018, the pre-facelift Transporter T6 was available in five nominal gross vehicle weights (GVW), as follows:

• T26 - 2,600kg or 2.6 tonnes
  • T27 - 2,700kg or 2.7 tonnes (T6 only)
  • T28 - 2,800kg or 2.8 tonnes
  • T30 - 3,000kg or 3.0 tonnes
  • T32 - 3,200kg or 3.2 tonnes
For the T6.1 facelift, the T27 has been dropped, leaving the remaining four options as listed above.

GVW is the total legally allowed weight of the vehicle, including the people and everything else on board. As such, it's important to know exactly which variant you're driving, as this also defines the payload.

Most Transporters carry a badge on the back with the relevant T-number, but doublecheck with the weight plate to make sure.

Went past on Monday after taking daughter home to Newcross, they now have big hanging yellow girders to stop the height. I asked one of the tunnel officers that are stood nearby he said they clamping down. Even pickups are receiving fines as the over 2 Ton. I took the longer route of blackwall. I only went through 4 weeks ago.

It's a money making scheme as I live close to the tunnel, use it often, and pay nothing as my Caravelle is classified as a car.

Has anyone gone through in a converted camper? I assume they’re OK with that?

It’s crazy. It’s either safe for a >2T vehicle or it’s not. The usage should be irrelevant.

Has anyone gone through in a converted camper? I assume they’re OK with that?

It’s crazy. It’s either safe for a >2T vehicle or it’s not. The usage should be irrelevant.
Not Unless you have successfully had your logbook changed to M1, there is a very long topic on this subject on the Cali forum.

i drove past the site the other day . . .

and managed to snap a few pics of the new height barriers.

new limits:

2.0ton GVW
2.0m height
2.0m wide

1650732294009.png1650732340023.png1650732361591.png1650732384277.png

Back