TfL - Rotherhithe Tunnel fine

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
TFL - London - Rotherhithe Tunnel Fine

Just a warning to anyone around London thinking of using the Rotherhithe tunnel to cross the Thames river . . . .

TFL have just slapped me with a £130 fine for going through the tunnel !!

Contravention - Vehicles more than 2 metres (6'6") high, 2 metres (6'6") wide or goods vehicles weighing more than 2 tonnes (gross vehicle weight) are not safe to travel through the Rotherhithe Tunnel. Drivers that do not comply could be fined up to £130.

2.0 Tonnes !!! - thats 2000kg

so if your bus is classed as a van - dont go through the tunnel.

Rotherhithe Tunnel restrictions

72.jpg 73.jpg

Yep .. looks like I got done with N1 via ANPR.

Screenshot_20191008-160845_Chrome.jpg

So if it’s a T28 van it’s not safe to go through. Although a fully converted maximum weight T32 Camper would be safe.

:cry: wish i'd checked in on here earlier... I went through twice with mine. Essentially, I forgot it would show as N1 and panel van for ANPR particularly as I have windows in all panels, permanently fitted awning, a permanently fixed bed structure, etc. etc.
Anyway... £260 to pay. In my search to not pay the fine I've also noticed that the government guidance seems to show that I can no longer register a converted T6 transporter as a motorcaravan as it doesn't have a permanent high roof. Anyone had any recent experience with this?

Didn't know this, I live in London.

Thanks for the heads up, will give the Rotherhithe tunnel a wide berth. Any others to be aware of?

Rotherhithe is the only one, I think. I wouldn't have minded either except I'd been off to view a flat, had a great day. I read the signs several times and decided I wasn't a goods vehicle... Forgot all about it until I received the post this morning. How wrong I was :rolleyes:

I've just found the very lengthy motor home guidance thread. Some handy advice hidden amongst the 39 pages.

considering it’s the same rule being applied like the speeding van / camper issue, I’d be inclined to contest it.

There is a very long thread over on the vwcaliforniaclub with a few failed contests detailed.

Got stung on this a few weeks ago and was about contest; but assume many have tried and failed?! Nice and expensive trip across the river! And I didn't see a single sign suggesting any restrictions FWIW :(

I think the problem is also sensory overload; passing the signs (that aren’t well
Illuminated) along with speed checks, perilously high curbs and an abundance of other signs I think it’s easily overlooked, which I suspect is the plan.

I want to fight my £260 but feels like it may just not be worth the hassle.

I’ve been through this at least three times in the past couple of months. . . Wrexham VW didn’t send my V5 off though and 6 months down the line it’s still not in my name.

Got caught out last year.
agree the signs are very difficult to see until it’s to late and your heading into the tunnel.

Back