Temporary Ehu

Severals

Has anyone used a Goal Zero type power generator as an off grid EHU?
I recently had an instance when the Lead/Acid leisure battery went completely flat, my Ablemail AMS 121230 won't charge below 10.5V so I needed to connect to a power supply to get sufficient voltage for the Ablemail to kick in.
I don't intend to run the battery that low again, but it would be good to know if I could supplement the leisure battery when off grid and running the fridge etc.

If this is for the leisure battery then i would consider upgrading the old battery to Lithium, they are faster to charge and you can use the whole battery, i.e. if its 100ah then the full 100ah not like a lead/acid battery where you would only get 50ah before its classed as dead...

It is for the leisure battery, and I did consider a LiFePO4, but it wouldn't be just a straight swap from Lead/Acid to Lithium, the Ablemail would have to be sent back to the manufacturers to be re-programmed to a Lithium charging profile, I don't think that my Sargent PMS is suitable either, it is just a low amp charge when connected to a mains EHU.
So the easiest, and least disruptive way would have been to plug in a portable means of charging and back up.
Would a power generator have enough stored power to re-charge a 110ah Lead/Acid battery?

I already have the GB70, (Black Friday sometimes has some bargains!) but the only way I can see to connect it to the leisure battery is using the crocodile clamps, my leisure battery is under the drivers seat and is not that easily accessible.
Would you advise safely adding cables to the leisure battery that I could attach the GB70 clamps to without having to disturb the drivers seat to connect the Noco?

Thanks @travelvolts, sounds like a plan.
I'll look for a suitable location for the posts, if it ever stops raining!
What size cable, switch and fuse rating would you advise?

I would use 2 mm cable and fuse it at 15 amps. Standard 20 amp rocker switch. Remember, this is only to raise the voltage on the battery terminals, not for supplying power.

The Goal Zero packs are over priced for what they are . . .

plus your paying for the extra stuff you wont use . . . ie Solar inputs etc. . . .

i looked at them, watched a few vids etc . . . then went for a 110Ah AGM Extreme battery + Box + small 240vac inverter. which sees us through a few days running the fridge and lights . . you can see all that good stuff over here > Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

But in regards to the first post my first thought was the same as Travelvolts . . . . . You already have the ability to recharge your battery at a decent rate from your Ablemail AMS 121230 by running the engine etc . . . . so i was thinking Jump pack. seeing as you only need to fool the Ablemail into thinking its ok to charge, and you have the NOCO . . .

So, you have the GB70, so why not just use the 12v output to plug into a 12v socket thats already connected to your Leisure battery?

or my personal preference Anderson plugs . . . you could have one fitted to the Aux battery, tucked under the seat (or wheresoever) that can be used as a battery point to charge or pull power from the battery. (120A anderson plug + 80A Maxi fuse & holder + 10mm ring terminals - Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use -- )

and of course travel-volts solution above - https://www.travelvolts.net/

Lightning_Maxi_Fuse_3_1400x.png

This is what I really like about this forum, great support, ideas and solutions.
My Ablemail is under the passenger swivel seat, could I attach additional cables to the output of the Ablemail instead of directly on the leisure battery terminals?
@Dellmassive I also like the additional battery and inverter idea, could you be more specific in what you used and how you built the individual parts please (any photos available)?
Did you have a UK 3 pin socket wired to the inverter? This could allow direct connection to the EHU socket.

upload_2020-1-29_8-58-47.png

upload_2020-1-29_8-52-32.png

could I attach additional cables to the output of the Ablemail instead of directly on the leisure battery terminals?
- yes to the output terminal as shown.

I also like the additional battery and inverter idea, could you be more specific in what you used and how you built the individual parts please
- sure , see below.

Did you have a UK 3 pin socket wired to the inverter?
- yes see below.

Basically we used a large AGM battery in a battery box, with a small Pure SINE inverter, and a 4way extension lead . . .

Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

so we used a box like this: (the box shown in the photo doesn't fit the Xtreme XR1750, the one that fits is the NOCO Group 24 -31 Battery Box HM318BK)

upload_2020-2-1_16-4-41.png

with a battery like this :

upload_2020-2-1_16-5-38.png

and a small inverter like this :

BESTEK 300W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter - https://amzn.to/37UVR8w

upload_2020-2-1_16-9-11.png

using this type of connector:

BESTEK Battery Clamps / Socket adapter - https://amzn.to/2RMudVi

upload_2020-2-1_16-11-59.png

and this type of fuse & Holder:

upload_2020-2-1_16-13-5.png

you can see all the bits on the kit list here > Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

you can see thge box in action over here> Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

we used mobile solar to keep it charged (during summer time)

k0A1kwSqSOCBg6fUIH0GCaDt0OdTC22lEetS77glQs9KFYZYmt_7xq6WOOmyVnsskAxtCCdkkWeu--cB_M=w1920-h934-no.jpg

EJ6sg2nu9HBsJRvJ47R4qaXv13YDqhidnCLPaZiKt379EgqxFcmhZXsv1PuJNKjpPuquW-6nla8KHcauoX=w1920-h934-no.jpg

bHKLic0-5B7dKyb6TAAjjLUYIigww5fzqEynS-Sr5uZpIgiMy7Zw_ptG32jjXsUbqBvk2V6dl0DIan9VRiF=w456-h937-no.jpg

0HOZMDtBg_RMootPDpmKMgqzDfrGBVopGft2_9ikYV-JMRBuVUxcwNTeIyTG9QTf8ZxI6wB4pbaCXBzq0-=w1920-h934-no.jpg

leoSI3TbJCAHpAGkBQotvgCfBh0A1Tu1v7W7pp8mXlBhKAQGOyuISXN8CKCCMj7E-Eu346SPCMkgZjl8O0=w1920-h934-no.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all for their help and suggestions, I now have to decide which one, or more, I will go for.
The photos helped greatly in understanding the versatility of the second AGM battery/inverter set up.

Just ordered the battery and box from Alpha Batteries, please note that the box shown in the above photo doesn't fit the Xtreme XR1750, the one that fits is the NOCO Group 24 -31 Battery Box HM318BK.
Apart from that everything else is great :>)

Just ordered the battery and box from Alpha Batteries, please note that the box shown in the above photo doesn't fit the Xtreme XR1750, the one that fits is the NOCO Group 24 -31 Battery Box HM318BK.
Apart from that everything else is great :>)
Nice, post some pics once you have it up and running =]

Looks great, remember to add a fuse to that battery +ve if you havent got one already.

MIDI style 10/20/30A.

Back