Tailgate gas struts

Sabre

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi all,
One of my TransporterHQ gas struts collapsed last week and nearly punctured a rear light, so I'm done with cheapo imports so does anyone have a suggestion?

Has anyone used the SGS Engineering ones? UK made and if their trolley jack is anything to go by, they "should" be well engineered and good.

Hi all,
One of my TransporterHQ gas struts collapsed last week and nearly punctured a rear light, so I'm done with cheapo imports so does anyone have a suggestion?

Has anyone used the SGS Engineering ones? UK made and if their trolley jack is anything to go by, they "should" be well engineered and good.
What’s wrong with OEM VW struts? They aren’t particularly expensive.

VW van parts lists only the 900n version @ @70+vat! :-D
That's not cheap but would be worth it if it was up to the job.

VW van parts lists only the 900n version @ @70+vat! :-D
That's not cheap but would be worth it if it was up to the job.
My OEM VW struts are 1270n which are the strongest in the OEM lineup iirc. Made for tailgates with bike rack & California chair storage kit. I think I have a set of nearly new 1100N in the shed at home that I’d sell. I’m in the South of France at the mo & not due back for 5-6 weeks, so can’t check. But VW definitely do a range of different force struts.

try 7E0 827 550 C
985n good for lightweight tailgate with bike rack (nearly ;) )

1100N is VW standard fit for tailgate with bike rack but no Cali chair kit. IIRC

So, after my open wallet surgery at the VW stealer, Brian Currie Van centre, I'm recovering well but the mental scars will remain for a while, just knowing I have been violated.
I now have these to show for my ordeal though, which will give me some comfort on the packup for Bala. I will try to fit them when there are more of me around to support the door.
Wish me luck and if anyone can suggest a support group for similar victims, that would be useful.

PXL_20230518_174512052.jpg

Back