Tailgate Cycle Carriers. T6/T5?

Blackvan

VIP Member
I am looking for a Tailgate Mounted Cycle Carrier (2 cycle) .(I will need to cut some slots into existing rear spoiler- ok with that), My question is will a T5 rack fit onto a T6 Tailgate, as I have seen a T5 one advertised. Thanks.

double check the part numbers... I believe they are the same, but if you get the part number of the one you are looking to buy and see if it matches the T6 version.

Last edited:
There are t5 style vw bike racks for the t6 but the t6 tailgate is a different shape to the t5 exactly where it clamps so I don’t think a t5 one is the same

Just did a bit of googling...

The T5 bike rack is part # 7H0 071 104

The same style for the T6 is part # 7E0 071 104 B (this is the version 2 rack)
The other T6 bike rack is is part # 7E0 071 104 (this is the version 1 rack)

Got the info from here...

I’ve got the opportunity to buy a t5 model for £300 which is a massive saving on a new one. Just wondering whether to risk it!

I last used my tailgate carrier last year just before Christmas. I drove from Newcastle to Swansea with 2 bikes on the back in atrocious weather.

I got back late in the rain and quickly took the bikes off and dumped them in our basement. Then promptly forgot about them till the spring.

When I came to use the bike again, they were in a horrible condition. One had completely rusted..... chain, spokes, steel screws and nuts etc.. Completely spoiled the bike which was a relatively new acquisition.

So this is a word of warning that low slung tailgate carriers will collect all the muck off the roads, including salt at winter. So be sure to give your bikes a pressure wash soon after.

John

Reactions: CAB
Back