T6 TSI Petrol am I mad?

VdubVirgin

VIP Member
Hi,

new to the vwdub world and about to take the plunge intoT6 ownership and will be going for a camper conversion.

Im actually meant to be picking a 2019 TSI up next week.... question is, am I mad going for petrol? Everyone seems to want diesel.

The T6 will be out main driver. However, I work away from home and the wife only drives 1 day a week to the office. So mileage will be minimal. Apart from family weekend trips, the majority of runs will be short (not great for diesel).

I’ve spoken to TSI Cali owners who get 26mpg. I’m thinking quiet to drive, tune well (300bhp and loads of torque with a map), less issues than diesel, no low Emissions zone chargers (coming to my area for non euro 6 diesel) Plus they can also be LPG converted.

would love to hear thoughts of you guys.

I certainly wouldn't be against a TSI, especially with shorter trips being the norm.
What he said:thumbsup: - I only get early 30s on my 204 DSG and that's on a run. Full conversion so it's heavy, but I avoid using it as a daily drive as I'm worried about the impact of short trips on the EGR etc.

I wouldn't worry about fuel costs, the benefits outweigh them for some people, dependent on your circumstances. If you read the thread about adblue issues you may decide that a TSI is the only way to go!

In would have bought a TSI but I just couldn’t find one with the correct spec, settled on a DSG BiTDI 204 chipped to 244. Love it and the torque is awesome.

Seeing as you are doing limited mileage I would go for it. Then pimp the life out of it like we all do :sneaky: :thumbsup: ;)

I was in the same position a few months back. Looking for a TSI as most of my trips are short and was worried about diesels and all the extras for emissions. Couldn’t find a TSI DSG that I could afford anyway.
Having now bought a diesel and done some research the short trips thing is a complete non-issue in my point of view.
The egr only opens under constant load and when warm, so it’s the long journeys that clog it. Cold,at tick over, and under acceleration it doesn’t open.
Dpf, just keep an eye on soot with Carista, and make sure it’s got more than 1/4 tank of fuel when it needs to regen, and let it.
LPG is being phased out by some garages as it’s not that popular. Also, in the unlikely event that you do have a problem, you’ve got 2 systems/providers to deal with.
I also think diesel suits the drive I want better.
Not saying one is better than the other, just some points to consider from my perspective. Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

I’ve got a mapped tsi camper, 25-26 mpg is realistic, nearer 30 if mainly motorways. Can also convert to LPG if your usage changes and so worth the outlay. Pretty rare and hard to come so think you’ve done well!! Good luck and post pics when she arrives!

Thanks for all the comments... Seems balanced points of view.
Looking forward to getting some coil overs on her and getting a revo remap.

I’m pretty happy... it’s not my unicorn spec, as it’s barn doors and really wanted a 2 captain chairs upfront. But it was a good price I think.

TBH my biggest concerns where it being rare as it a TSI and I might find it hard to sell on. Plus people don’t bat an eye lid at a diesel with high mileage. But if I sell this in day 4 years with 60,000 on a petrol???

I have a150bhp Tsi camper as I also mainly do short trips and was worried about the diesel emmission and dpf issues. I have had mine converted to lpg which reduces the fuel cost down to that of a diesel.
Also the petrol engine is so much quieter than the diesel.

But if I sell this in day 4 years with 60,000 on a petrol???
That shouldn't put anybody off as long as you have a proven service history. Personally I think some people, E.g. London dwelling people, might be looking specifically for a petrol engine, rather than a diesel.

I ran a T6 TSI Revo stage 1 for a year. Loved it. Needs to run on super unleaded to get the best out of it. It was a fully specified kombi with 20’s and lowered so full weight with all the kit.

Used to go like stink and properly surprise cars.....frequently. Don’t even ask about MPG when driving properly - sub ten! . On a motorway run at 70, I would get high 20’s and for me that was about as good as it got. At 60 I’m sure you’d be above 30 but that’s tedious.

I’ve always run mapped cars/vans. As a comparison a mapped 204 4Motion BITDI would get the same mpg around town as the TSI. On a run only a few more mpg. Where it differed was when your were pushing it - the TSI just guzzled. A 2wd BITDI would be a bigger difference.

The TSI needs a map as the engine is really lacking torque in standard form. And I found the paddle steering wheel was a great upgrade, and used it all the time - whereas on a diesel I never use the paddles. I actually think the Diseasal engine is better suited to the Transporter, with its power delivery, but I have a few petrol cars to get my kicks from, so it’s not a priority for me. If I only had one vehicle and it was a van, it would be a TSi. AKS tuning have my old TSI and they are going big turbo - 500ps+

If you are looking for a vehicle for economy. This isn’t the one. But they are very quiet, refined, and smooth compared to the dieasal.

Residuals will be good as they are rare - id buy them for stock if I could find them.

And the engine is tried and tested in the GTI so high mileage will have zero issues.

Go for it you will love it.

HTH. If I can help in anyway just ask.

I've got TSI Kombi with a pendle map and I'd recommend it to anyone who might consider petrol. The only real reason not to is if fuel economy is a major factor in your decision. For me, its not something I worry about (you only live once and all that) but even still, It's a LWB heavy blockshaped van with 300HP and I still get mid 20's to the gallon. Its really quiet and calm in normal driving but when you put your foot down it doesn't hold back. The engine sound it makes is unbelievable considering its a 4 cylinder. I've had it almost 2 years and it still surprises me from time to time how quick it is. I make any excuse to nip out in it, I wouldn't be without it now.
My business partner has the same van as me apart from his has a full fit out in the rear to carry tools and equipment (probably 400kg or more) still gets anything from 20 to 26 mpg.
And don't worry about the resale value.....
you'll never want to sell it

I ran a T6 TSI Revo stage 1 for a year. Loved it. Needs to run on super unleaded to get the best out of it. It was a fully specified kombi with 20’s and lowered so full weight with all the kit.

Used to go like stink and properly surprise cars.....frequently. Don’t even ask about MPG when driving properly - sub ten! . On a motorway run at 70, I would get high 20’s and for me that was about as good as it got. At 60 I’m sure you’d be above 30 but that’s tedious.

I’ve always run mapped cars/vans. As a comparison a mapped 204 4Motion BITDI would get the same mpg around town as the TSI. On a run only a few more mpg. Where it differed was when your were pushing it - the TSI just guzzled. A 2wd BITDI would be a bigger difference.

The TSI needs a map as the engine is really lacking torque in standard form. And I found the paddle steering wheel was a great upgrade, and used it all the time - whereas on a diesel I never use the paddles. I actually think the Diseasal engine is better suited to the Transporter, with its power delivery, but I have a few petrol cars to get my kicks from, so it’s not a priority for me. If I only had one vehicle and it was a van, it would be a TSi. AKS tuning have my old TSI and they are going big turbo - 500ps+

If you are looking for a vehicle for economy. This isn’t the one. But they are very quiet, refined, and smooth compared to the dieasal.

Residuals will be good as they are rare - id buy them for stock if I could find them.

And the engine is tried and tested in the GTI so high mileage will have zero issues.

Go for it you will love it.

HTH. If I can help in anyway just ask.
Thanks for a great insight..... you don’t mind paying a little more for fuel if you’re having fun... and sound pretty similar when taking it easy.
Mine is a manual, which is a shame. Couldn’t push to the DSG.

TBH my biggest concerns where it being rare as it a TSI and I might find it hard to sell on. Plus people don’t bat an eye lid at a diesel with high mileage. But if I sell this in day 4 years with 60,000 on a petrol???

I've got a 30 year old Golf GTI with 163,000 miles on, a 11 year old Scirocco with 118,000 miles and a 7 year old Polo 1.2 TSI with 60,000 miles. All 3 run as sweet as a nut with no issues what so ever. The thing that gets me is that many people will buy a 150,000 miles diesel over a 100,000 mile petrol because "ah but it's a diesel, it'll run for ever." What they fail to consider is it's not just the engine that wears. The higher mileage vehicle will have many very tired components that are on the brink of needing replacement.

Had my TSI 150 from new since June 18. It’s an empty panel van at the minute (will change once I’ve paid off the finance), get about 27mpg long term average. Have had 33mpg on a long steady run. Very smooth to drive and quiet. Only do 7-8k miles a year and 2.5 miles to work so waited until TSI was available. If I was buying again in a few years I’d take petrol again if it was available. Apparently only circa 270 TSI transporters registered in the UK so hopefully they will be desirable and hold value in the future

Looking at these - seems the 150s were manual Trendlines and the 204s were DSG Highlines, interesting.

Back