T6 tailgate on T5 tailgate van

Stueye

Looking to change my 2006 t5 tailgate to t6 one. I know there is a bit of faffing about when it’s barn doors, but is tailgate to tailgate a straight swap
TIA

I believe the tailgates are different as are the bumpers

Different rear light clusters too so they would need to be swapped out as well.

Wiring is different also, think the lock operation is different and may need additional/different wiring ?

As above, the lid will swap over ok and will work with your existing bumper. You'll need the T6 tailgate lights which are easy to repin the connectors to get working.

The lock is a pain to install on a T6 barn door to tailgate swap but for a T5 to T6 tailgate is a different challenge. You could swap over your existing lock and activate the electric release with a simple solenoid and relay. That's still easier than a barn door conversion.

Hi im just attempting this conversion. Fitting a t6 tailgate to my 2009 t5 factory tailgate van. Did you manage to get this done? I thaught my hinges would bolt straight to new door however the holes seem to be offset on mine where as on t6 tailgate the holes are in line. So im after a set of hinges now but once I sort that im wondering how best to go on with the lock/latch? Cheers

Hi im just attempting this conversion. Fitting a t6 tailgate to my 2009 t5 factory tailgate van. Did you manage to get this done? I thaught my hinges would bolt straight to new door however the holes seem to be offset on mine where as on t6 tailgate the holes are in line. So im after a set of hinges now but once I sort that im wondering how best to go on with the lock/latch? Cheers
Hi there I’ve just done this conversion from t5.1 barndoor to tailgate. The lock / handle you’ll need will be specific to the t6 tailgate. Your latch maybe the same if you have any pics that’ll help.

I've just finished all the hardware and electrics installation for this job too, T6 Tailgate on a 2011 T5.1 Barn Door with BCM 087. At coding now and have activated heated screen, wash-wipe didn't need any and coded out the brake light fault associated with adding the LED rear lights. I am having problems with Lock/Unlock though. I understand this is the coding to activate the locking mechanism, but these two options aren't present in VCDS for me.

Central Electrics, Byte 01, Bit 5: Central Locking/Rear Lid; Contact controlled on detent
Central Electrics, Byte 07, Bit 5: Central Locking/Rear Lid; One Motor Lock installed

I now suspect this is the coding specifically for a T6 and wondering what it should be for a t5.1. I've attached images from VCDS menus, the coding I had expected to activate and the wiring connections I made to mate the looms. Can anyone help me across the finish line? Started this conversion in June and thought that was me finally done today.

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 14.01.52.png

Last edited:
these two options aren't present in VCDS for me.
Click on LCode2 - should open all/undocumentd tickboxes.
Anyways, the byte 1 is already correct (A0) in the picture.
I suspect this is the coding specifically for a T6 and wondering what it should be for a t5.1. I
I would try changing byte 2 (value now 30) to value 39 (hex).
If that doesn't work, please post scan section for the BCM (in plain text as it makes easier to do comparisons).

Oh, and byte 7 (now 31) needs to be 11.

Just type the value in here:
1635357256664.png

Click on LCode2 - should open all/undocumentd tickboxes.
Anyways, the byte 1 is already correct (A0) in the picture.

I would try changing byte 2 (value now 30) to value 39 (hex).
If that doesn't work, please post scan section for the BCM (in plain text as it makes easier to do comparisons).
Byte 01, Bit 7 was already ticked and active. It's Byte 01, Bit 5 thats missing. I'll need to arrange another visit to my garage as they were kind enough to let me play with their VCDS.

Byte 01, Bit 7 was already ticked and active. It's Byte 01, Bit 5 thats missing. I'll need to arrange another visit to my garage as they were kind enough to let me play with their VCDS.
Byte 01 is already good to go - no need to tweak it. The bytes (EDIT: typo 03) 02 and 07 need to be adjusted.

If individual not-shown bits need to be tweaked, the LCode2 opens them all for editing
1635359144678.png

Byte 01 is already good to go - no need to tweak it. The bytes 03 and 07 need to be adjusted.

If individual not-shown bits need to be tweaked, the LCode2 opens them all for editing
View attachment 134923
Getting some time to get back on this. You referred to Bytes 02 and 03 in two separate replies. You suggested Byte 02 Bit 30 needs to be changes to Bit 39, but no mention of changes to Byte 03. Was that a typo? If not, can you confirm which one needs editing via LCode2? Thx Kenny

Getting some time to get back on this. You referred to Bytes 02 and 03 in two separate replies. You suggested Byte 02 Bit 30 needs to be changes to Bit 39, but no mention of changes to Byte 03. Was that a typo? If not, can you confirm which one needs editing via LCode2? Thx Kenny
Good catch - indeed the bytes 02 and 07 need adjusting:
Byte 2 > value 39 (hex)​
Byte 7 > value 11 (hex)​
(no change in byte 03)​

Good catch - indeed the bytes 02 and 07 need adjusting:
Byte 2 > value 39 (hex)​
Byte 7 > value 11 (hex)​
(no change in byte 03)​
Sweet, thx for coming back so quickly. will give this a go and let you if it works.

Reactions: mmi
Did yiu manage to source t6 hinges ? Can you confirm they are different to t5.1 hinges as I'm now having the same issue cheers

Did yiu manage to source t6 hinges ? Can you confirm they are different to t5.1 hinges as I'm now having the same issue cheers
The T5 hinges fit the T6 tailgate i have just trial fitted mines, the only thing is that there is no adjustment available with them which wasn't a problem because it all lined up perfectly

@mmi Hi I'm completing my T6 conversion and struggling with the coding and mine doesn't match anyone and
this is my current coding -

A82CA1BA0A61343192284E106E6B9C55008071FF60860040320000000800

@mmi Hi I'm completing my T6 conversion and struggling with the coding and mine doesn't match anyone and
this is my current coding -

A82CA1BA0A61343192284E106E6B9C55008071FF60860040320000000800

Try the following changes:
byte 1 from 2C to A8 (hex)​
byte 2 from A1 to 39 (hex)​
byte 7 from 31 to 11 (hex)​
byte 27 from 00 to 01 (hex)​
OR simply replace the full coding string with:
A8A839BA0A61341192284E106E6B9C55008071FF60860040320000010800​

Back