T6 Split Charging Question

H00dedclaw

If I have a setup with solar panels and split charger would I put the dc-dc charger where that split charge relay is , I am having trouble keeping charge on my ty euro 5 blue motion and from hunting around the forum looks like this could be the answer. When I plug it into the mains I get a click under the drivers seat which is where the distribution fuse board is.. my actual leisure battery is under the rear seat and that’s where the solar controller also is ... hopefully it’s something I can easily run in to resolve my issue.... thank you in advance for any advice

Yes but I’m a bit green on the electrics it certainly looks like it’s a swap out for the split charge relay and wire in the dc.dc charger...... I think I need to do some testing as I think the diesel heater comes off the starter battery that keeps cutting out with errors but are cleared when it’s started and running tv and fridge run ok of leisure I might post a couple of pic’s of what I have to see if the people in the know here can suggest anything...

It does sound as though you have a split charge relay under the seat there. It also seems likely that your heater is running from the vehicle battery and that is not good! If you can take some photos of what components you have fitted and also of the connections on your van battery it would be a big help.

I will add some pictures …. I also have a solar panel feeding the leisure battery so its strange it doesn't stay completely full, I think I read somewhere in my hunting around the leisure could be feeding back to the van battery, everything is turned off so there is no drain apart from normal van electrics, alarm etc, fridge and TV turned off at switch so no standby I have bought a ctec batter sensor to monitor how the leisure battery does and see what impact the solar has on it when on and off the rear battery is 130amp the old one was 110amp that I thought had failed but my ctec conditioner charger fully recharged that !

HI All sorry for the delay ordered a bluetooth battery monitor which didnt work .. so it appears my leisure battery does of course charge from the solar panel it reads 13.3v unloaded and shows full on the new monitor.. on the power unit a PMS 3H it shows 4 bars out of 5 but drops quickly to 3 and then 2 with next to no load on the new battery display i have it shows a drop down to 12.v and half charge under load of heater but then slowly rises back up to 13.3 and 90% charged its also been hooked up to a ctek conditioner charger but hasnt quiet made full charge form the readout on that after a week... the spare lesiure battery in the garage took over a week to trip on the trickle part of the charging program so probably fine.

I've now had a good hunt around my van battery is a AGM the leisure is a lead acid 130. under the seat is a box of tricks with a master shut off and when i eventually worked out how to open it it had a durite split charge relay in it..

So i assume as i have a bluemotion 2016 t28 i need a dc to dc charger that also has a solar hookup. so my question is now will my current split charge wiring just hook straight up in place of the split charge relay

IMG_1715.jpeg IMG_1644.jpeg IMG_1647.jpeg

great thank you... so when you say about the terminals is this an easy switch ie shouldnt need to wire in anything else just disconnect and reconnect, ie would the current replay have a wire to monitor starting etc which i see some of them have as well.. taking the think apart is where it might get beyond me but swopping over wires from unit to unit would be fine for me... does this unit also have the solar input as well ? so i make the most of it all round

ok been to your site i see the other one, it says it can be programmed to work with agm and lead acid.. the van one is agm the leisure is standard lead acid is this simple to deal with or comes pre set ?

The unit will come ready profiled for your battery type. It will need an ignition supply picking up from the fuse box. I will include the wiring for this and the piggy back fuse connector to make it a simple plug in job. Just leave a note on the order so that I know who you are.

order placed..... can i ask do i now not need the solar part of my current setup, as per picture ... the dc-dc charger wont be next to my leisure battery under the rear seat as the current split charge relay is under the drivers seat so i assume i will need to extend those cables down behind the units to the ablemail or i guess i can leave just attached to the leisure battery until i have time to run it down or tweak the setup... as you might of gathered im looking for as plug and play as possibl53266-4dffda0d2e869f5abf1c94ce44d6fc2f.jpg e :)

Okay, you can remove the solar controller (when ready) and connect the negative from the panel to earth or leisure battery negative. You just need to extend the positive to reach the Ablemail. I have included new fuses as the ones that are in at the moment will be too big.

Back