T6 Performance in bad weather

jen61

I am a new owner of a T6.1 camper van in Scotland and the bad weather of snow and ice is here!!! I am wondering how a camper van T6.1 performs driving in the snow and ice and would appreciate anyones experience, good or bad!!

I would recommend you get out and try it, before you have to go out in those conditions.

It‘s fine generally, but be aware of the momentum.

Pete

My t6.1 t32 camper handles really well in the dry but the unloaded van tends to skip a bit on the rear end if pushed in damp and wet conditions, loaded it seems fine, its on 11 inch wide tyres, that's all I have really noticed on the handling of the van, drives great otherwise.

The biggest improvement you can make for winter is some decent winter or all season tyres - they're designed to work better at lower temperatures on all surfaces and can genuinely amaze you with how capable they make a vehicle if you do have to drive in snow.

Winter tyres will help. Even when it is just cold and wet. The rubber used is designed to work better than summer tyres under 7 DegC, and the deep tread is better in standing water.
My 2wd T6 drives as well as can be expected in snow (with 215 winter tyres) having driven across Rannoch Moor in several inches. i would rather have a 4motion (it would be unstoppable then) but VW didn’t see fit to import a 4wd petrol TSI version. I’ve not noticed any detrimental impact in winter conditions from it being a van.

Reactions: CAB
Back