T6 Fuel Tank Removal - Adblue Tank question

MrBlueSky

Anyone know if the main diesel tank can be removed without removing the Adblue tank? It looks like it clears looking underneath but not sure that the main tank filler neck will foul the Adblue filler....

Didn't get any response from here so went commando on it. In the end I drained the Adblue tank using a power syphon and removed the fill and vent lines by undoing the quick connectors at the tank end and unbolting the filler neck. Removed the whole adblue filler/vent assembly which left the usual main diesel tank filler neck and clearance for dropping the main tank.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Cheers for the reply, had a chat with a mate at a well known eber dealership yesterday , he suggested that the add blue was simply capped off and the filler end then the rest was as normal on a t5.1 does that sound feasible to you after you've done the job ?

Not sure what 'capped off' means but I couldn't see any way of dropping the main tank with the adblue filler neck and fill/vent hoses in the same aperture. I defo removed them and if the adblue tank is full you will need to drain at least half to remove the filler hose by undoing the quick connector where the filler hose goes into the tank.

Bump.... Is there an idiot's guide to dropping the tank? I only need access to fit and tighten the NS Cali rail bolts so was wondering whether it only needs lowering a tad?

I can upload the manual for you if you give be a bit..

The quick release pipes on the ad blue tank. How do you remove them? I know it sounds a stupid question but I’ve spent ages trying to press in the green tag to release the pipes without success. Help.

Thank you Loz, that was quick.
It looks like both sides need to be pressecd in at the same time as well as pulling the pipe off the spigot. I think I need another set of hands.

Cheers Andy

Just had a go with dropping the tank past the adblue filler but didn't get much luck. I'm going to try just un-clipping the filler tube but just wondering what the "proper" VW way would be? In the above manual on page 5 it mentions
"Rep. gr. 26 ; SCR system (selective catalyticreduction), Removing and installing tank for reducing agent", does anyone have access to that?

Hi I’m struggling to understand what is needed?! I have the 4 brackets to remove from a triple bench. I’ve removed all the plastic on passenger side. I now need to lower the tank and I have threaded rods to support the tank. I do not know what I need to do at the filler cap end or anywhere else in turns of disconnecting or do I just lower? Can I get away with lowering one side? Thanks

006A14DC-F28B-4B19-A60E-C9F3072DCDD4.jpeg

image.jpg

54661A2E-F5F1-4499-9BC9-AD5D0A91E648.jpeg
Hi I’m struggling to understand what is needed?! I have the 4 brackets to remove from a triple bench. I’ve removed all the plastic on passenger side. I now need to lower the tank and I have threaded rods to support the tank. I do not know what I need to do at the filler cap end or anywhere else in turns of disconnecting or do I just lower? Can I get away with lowering one side? Thanks

View attachment 64493

View attachment 64494
Update: got the 2 brackets off nearest the slide door. Used the threaded rods (see pic) worked well. Dropped tank about 4 inch to get to the bolts tricky one was the one far left in the pic.

View attachment 64532
Update: got the 2 brackets off nearest the slide door. Used the threaded rods (see pic) worked well. Dropped tank about 4 inch to get to the bolts tricky one was the one far left in the pic.
Update... I finally removed the final 2 brackets. Had to disconnect exhaust starting at where the exhaust system has a join (see pic ) the joint was a bugger to unscrew do to rust. You’ll need to prop up the front part when you slide them apart (I just used a plastic box on its end). To slide them apart you need to undo the 2x2 bolts holding up the box mid van and the 2 bolts holding the back box (see pics). The mid box needs supporting whilst you unscrew. I propped to allow it to lower by 5 inch. Could then easily remove all heat shield fixings. I then managed to get hand (I have small hands) between the heat shield and underside of floor and unscrew the bracket nuts. If you can’t then it’s the brake cable likely stopping you as it still holds the heat shield in place. Goes back much quicker!

9F86FFFB-24CE-46AC-A841-FEC2E66564D5.jpeg

E1D995C7-5969-4DFD-A283-2A3D997133FB.jpeg

0157A683-D621-4AA0-A022-DE2B1164283A.jpeg

D3FD2AF2-BDE9-45C1-A00D-6E2A506077AA.jpeg

Back