T6 factory Power tailgate not working from key

TeamD

T6 Pro
Hi guys!

A couple of weeks ago I got a new to me T6 with factory, sliding doors and power tailgate.

The sliding doors open and closed from the key fob but I can’t get the power tailgate to open from the key fob.

Am I missing something? Should this work from factory?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Are you parking with something behind you? On my T6.1 it's integrated with the rear parking sensors and unless it's well clear it won't release, however the indicators flash.

Also (for me) it's a long press on the remote.

Are you parking with something behind you? On my T6.1 it's integrated with the rear parking sensors and unless it's well clear it won't release, however the indicators flash.

Also (for me) it's a long press on the remote.
Thanks. No, nothing behind me. Indicators flash with a short or long press but doesn’t open. Frustrating!

As above, the sensors are very sensitive, if there’s anything within say around 6 feet it won’t open.

Does the door work normally otherwise ?
Do the parking sensor work ok ?
Any fault codes logged with anything ?

Does the door work normally otherwise ?
Do the parking sensor work ok ?
Any fault codes logged with anything ?
Electric tailgate works fine when I squeeze the handle to press switch and also closing from switch inside tailgate. Parking sensors work normally too.

Unsure about fault codes, only had van 2 weeks and don’t know where I’d find them?

UPDATE: I’ve managed to open the tailgate from key fob by a long hold on the button but van must be unlocked first. Doesn’t close on key fob still though. Not sure if it’s meant to?

Didn’t realise you have to unlock Van first, unlike my Audi Q5 where I can just hold the boot button without unlocking the car first.

None of the standard factory settings will do power close AFAIK - but have a search top right.

And yes must be unlocked - on mine it's the same button on the remote.

For me if I long press on the unlock/tailgate button when van is locked it opens the windows as well as unlocks (opposite function holding the lock button on first lock)

UPDATE: I’ve managed to open the tailgate from key fob by a long hold on the button but van must be unlocked first. Doesn’t close on key fob still though. Not sure if it’s meant to?

Didn’t realise you have to unlock Van first, unlike my Audi Q5 where I can just hold the boot button without unlocking the car first.
Does your tailgate automatically lift after unlocking with the key?
Mine will unlock but does not automatically lift.

Does your tailgate automatically lift after unlocking with the key?
Mine will unlock but does not automatically lift.
My van must be unlocked first. Then a long press of boot button on key fob (my boot button is on the side of fob). Then it opens with flashing rear hazard lights and beeping!

Be aware that the interlock with the parking sensors is quite sensitive.

This weekend away the tailgate would not open on the remote because of a slightly tall kerb (woodland carpark so was a small log) that was well clear of the tailgate, but obviously a risk to the bumper.

I guess that's the quirk due to the normal job being to spot kerbs, but being used to try and stop accidentally releasing the tailgate in confined spaces, especially because as you will discover there is no way of even halting from the remote.

So for instance if you park in front of your garage sufficiently far out for the parking sensors to be happy but not sufficiently far for the tailgate to clear the overhanging roof then the only thing that will stop the tailgate is it's collision detection even if you run. Ask me how I know....

By default the tailgate does not close from the keyfob but on a T6 the function can be enabled with VCDS (not sure about other interfaces) and not aware of anyone finding a way to do this on a T6.1 yet (i have tried and failed on mine)

By default the tailgate does not close from the keyfob but on a T6 the function can be enabled with VCDS (not sure about other interfaces) and not aware of anyone finding a way to do this on a T6.1 yet (i have tried and failed on mine)
Sorry to hijack the thread.

Pauly, my T6 has a fully electric tailgate but it won’t open or close using my key fob? Do you know if these ca this be programmed by a 3rd party or does it have to be a main dealer?

If it wont open or close then its faulty, programming is only to activate comfort function on closing it wont fix it
and no a main dealer wont do this for you

Reactions: mmi
Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for answering Pauly. I would've only used this function to open and close the tailgate from inside the van when camping so not worth spending out on a new fob.

Instead and for those interested…I have wired in a momentary switch to activate the tailgate close function from inside the van. My tailgate switch has a 4 pin plug connected and the 2 centre wires make when the switch is pressed. I’ve wired in the momentary switch between these wires. Works a treat.

Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for answering Pauly. I would've only used this function to open and close the tailgate from inside the van when camping so not worth spending out on a new fob.

Instead and for those interested…I have wired in a momentary switch to activate the tailgate close function from inside the van. My tailgate switch has a 4 pin plug connected and the 2 centre wires make when the switch is pressed. I’ve wired in the momentary switch between these wires. Works a treat.
Hi Niffrig,
I have also wired in a switch to operate the tailgate from the inside. It works fine except in the middle of the night, it appears to go into hibernation. Do you know if there is a fix for this?

Back