T6 Euro 6 Engine Shaking On Start Up??

JM87

Morning. New to the group and looking at buying my first conversion.
Found a 2018 t6 highline on monday with only 44500 miles for the bargain price of £15,495 due the salesman forgetting to add VAT. Only problem was when I jumped in and fired it up the van started to rock slightly so I popped the bonnet and found the engine was rocking slightly back and forth but then stopped and started to tick over as normal by the time I'd got back in the seat!

As anyone any ideas what this could be? Miss fired cylinder? Literally running as normal 2 mins from start up.

Thanks in advance.

That's what I'm thinking but due to the current situation it's taking them longer to get it looked at, I just want it right so I can make a start with all this spare time!

That's what I'm thinking but due to the current situation it's taking them longer to get it looked at, I just want it right so I can make a start with all this spare time!
They are easy to test as they have very low resistance and just need to be unplugged and the resistance measured and make sure they all read the same.

What I can confirm from a Yeti with the E5 variant of this engine is that a single glow plug does cause an engine wobble on initial start up from cold and goes away after a few seconds of running. It doesn't give any form of warning light on the dash but VCDS tells you exactly which one it is and when it stopped working.

From personal experience when replacing glow plugs - make sure the engine is hot. This helps the glow plug unseat and unscrew from the engine. When you hear horror stories of snapped glow plugs, that was usually done on a cold engine. The only problem with this method is that you should really let the engine cool right down before doing the final torque on the new glow plug.

Any update on this?

Mine has started doing the same thing, feels as if it's running on 3 or maybe 2 cylinders at first start up from cold.

No engine lights, and no error codes stored.

I checked the coolant temp sensor with vcds, and that all looks correct.

CXGB 2.0 engine.

Anyone know, of this engine has normal glow plugs, or the fancy expensive ones?

Thanks

...looking at buying my first conversion. Found a 2018 t6 highline on monday with only 44500 miles for the bargain price of £15,495
Just an observation for what its worth - be very careful. Thats not so much a bargain, it sounds more like entrapment! £15k for a low mileage, converted 2018 highline? theres something amiss. Its worth double that. And a salesman who 'forgot to add vat"??? I smell fish. (no offence, @Fish!)
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an observation for what its worth - be very careful. Thats not so much a bargain, it sounds more like entrapment! £15k for a low mileage, converted 2018 highline? theres something amiss. Its worth double that. And a salesman who 'forgot to add vat"??? I smell fish. (no offence, @Fish!)
Cheers
Phil
If it looks too good to be true it usually is. And that looks too good to be true.

The original poster was months ago guys, probably bought it by now.

I only brought the subject back up, as had similar symptoms.

Any update on this?

Mine has started doing the same thing, feels as if it's running on 3 or maybe 2 cylinders at first start up from cold.

No engine lights, and no error codes stored.

I checked the coolant temp sensor with vcds, and that all looks correct.

CXGB 2.0 engine.

Anyone know, of this engine has normal glow plugs, or the fancy expensive ones?

Thanks

hi my cxgb engine also has this problem that you are describing. Have you had any joy in finding the fix? I’ve had the cylinders pressure tested and my mechanic thinks it’s low compression on 3 of them! I’m still waiting for an update from him.

many thanks,

hi my cxgb engine also has this problem that you are describing. Have you had any joy in finding the fix? I’ve had the cylinders pressure tested and my mechanic thinks it’s low compression on 3 of them! I’m still waiting for an update from him.

many thanks,
Yes, mine is fine now

I tried everything, then I bought this.

After 2 full tank fuks of diesel, all was good.

I'm thinking maybe some crap on injectors, but that stuff 100 percent solved my issue. I've never believed in that sort of stuff, but I use it all the time now.

Hope it helps

Yes, mine is fine now

I tried everything, then I bought this.

After 2 full tank fuks of diesel, all was good.

I'm thinking maybe some crap on injectors, but that stuff 100 percent solved my issue. I've never believed in that sort of stuff, but I use it all the time now.

Hope it helps

Thanks for this. Maybe my engine isn’t knackered after all.. should find out it’s fate next week.

Hi Lads, I’m new kid on the block. I have a 2018 Crafter which had the same problem after 72000km. I was just past the three years mark so figured out of warranty. I went back to the dealership I bought it from . They sorted it out using VW fuel additive see attached pics . Apparently the injectors are sensitive to dirty diesel. It now has 96000km and it’s back at the same thing. Literally shudder for 20 seconds after start up. Hope this helps. I fear though it could become a bigger problem the higher the mileage gets

7432D8E9-8D92-4385-9C0B-4C51CD77171D.png

Mine ended up needing new injectors. The injectors were taken to a refurbishment company who advised not to refurb them as they have had poor results in the past with these injectors. Cost me over £2000 for new ones. Never buying a vw ever again.

Mine ended up needing new injectors. The injectors were taken to a refurbishment company who advised not to refurb them as they have had poor results in the past with these injectors. Cost me over £2000 for new ones. Never buying a vw ever again.
i buy new one 500e

Hi, I am new here and think I might have a similar problem. I have a 6.1 Transporter (2021) which has done 6k miles. The issue is this, and it only seems to happen when starting from cold.

1- Engine starts up and idles fine
2- I reverse off drive and then get into first to get to the end of our road, about 20m in length
3- This is where problem begins. Feels like there is someting rotating or shaking from under your feet and begins to rough idle - rev counter starts juddering. When I have jumped out and opened bonnet it engine is rocking. Can post a video if helps
4 - solved by either driving away another 20meters or turning off ignition and restarting it.
5. Will never happen again in a day once it has been run. It did a 160mile trip yesterday and was happy but it happened again this morning.

Took to VW who checked it all over an said everything was fine, checked engine mounts and various startups but seemed unable to trigger it. But it clearly is not fine, as I have owned diesels before and never had this problem even if it only happens for a short time it is bloody annoying and points at something more fundamantal.

Any ideas? Will take back to VW but would appreciate some ideas so it is not a futile trip again.

Hi, I am new here and think I might have a similar problem. I have a 6.1 Transporter (2021) which has done 6k miles. The issue is this, and it only seems to happen when starting from cold.

2- I reverse off drive and then get into first to get to the end of our road, about 20m in length
3- This is where problem begins. Feels like there is someting rotating or shaking from under your feet and begins to rough idle - rev counter starts juddering. When I have jumped out and opened bonnet it engine is rocking. Can post a video if helps
4 - solved by either driving away another 20meters or turning off ignition and restarting it.
5. Will never happen again in a day once it has been run. It did a 160mile trip yesterday and was happy but it happened again this morning.

Took to VW who checked it all over an said everything was fine, checked engine mounts and various startups but seemed unable to trigger it. But it clearly is not fine, as I have owned diesels before and never had this problem even if it only happens for a short time it is bloody annoying and points at something more fundamantal.

Any ideas? Will take back to VW but would appreciate some ideas so it is not a futile trip again.
can you post a video of it?

My suggestion is you take it back to the dealer and insist it stays there the night and that the following morning when the engine is cold a technician drives while you are in the passenger seat with your phone in video mode while the technician can witness this happening. I know this isn't likely to be convenient but it should provide proof of the problem that they cannot deny exists. Once they accept that the problem is real you can insist on it being rectified.
You paid top dollar for a new van under warranty. It's their job to put it right.

Back