T6 2017 media head unit catastrophic failure

Alisdair Russell

Banjo 23
VIP Member
Hi everyone. So had a catastrophic failure (smoke and stuff) from the media unit the other day. I’ve removed it and there appears to be no damage or scorching to connectors or cable feeding the unit. The unit smells crispy but again nothing to note scorching wise. I’ve lost power from the usb in the middle and in the upper part (comfort dash). I’ve checked the fuses in the bottle compartment and they seem fine. Any ideas what I’m missing? I’m a clanky not a sparky but I can follow instructions. Help!?

Hi everyone. So had a catastrophic failure (smoke and stuff) from the media unit the other day. I’ve removed it and there appears to be no damage or scorching to connectors or cable feeding the unit. The unit smells crispy but again nothing to note scorching wise. I’ve lost power from the usb in the middle and in the upper part (comfort dash). I’ve checked the fuses in the bottle compartment and they seem fine. Any ideas what I’m missing? I’m a clanky not a sparky but I can follow instructions. Help!?
Power for the USB's is supplied by the HU

Bear in mind that the OEM head units are coded to the van for security.

Pete

So the plot thickens. I’ve had the van to VW today and the problem seems to be that the conversion company and the person who wired up the reversing camera have done such a pants job (desperately) that the cable connectors have melted. I didn’t see these due to me not looking hard enough. So vw are going to do the work and put it all right but I will probs need some new reversing camera connectors for pins 6 & 12. Any ideas? Thanks

So to conclude the mystery reason for the fault. The wiring done by the conversion company was utterly unsafe. They had used poor quality connectors with poor quality cable terminating. Instead of using new pins for the rear speakers they spliced into the front. The current draw on the front speakers was much more than rear speaker cable could cope with and as there was only a couple of strands of copper connected the cable did what it did. Pictures of the before and after. I have resoldered the front speaker cables. Terminated the rear cables correctly and remade the reversing camera connections properly. A big shout out to Pauly for his help with the pins. VW Lookers have been amazing and helped me beyond all expectations and I now have a complete understanding of what is what on that connector block on the back of the stereo.

IMG_7521.jpeg

IMG_7522.jpeg

IMG_7525.jpeg

IMG_7564.jpeg

IMG_7530.jpeg

IMG_7585.jpeg

IMG_7637.jpeg

IMG_7638.jpeg

IMG_7639.jpeg

Hi everyone. So to kind of conclude. The unit has been replaced and fitted by VW. The unit is working but I don’t have any reversing camera functionality as I did with the old unit. Also, I need to sort the fading out now as the rear speakers are playing as the front ones do. So
1. Any ideas on the camera?
2. Any ideas on the fading?

If I can find someone with VAGCOM then is it a simple case of doing through that?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Yes probably, VW will install as per factory so if the camera and speakers were fitted afterwards then they will just need recoding to activate again

Thanks Pauly. So off to find a VAGCOM. Do you have any ideas on the ‘codes’ etc I need to be in, just so I don’t mess anything up?

So to conclude the mystery reason for the fault. The wiring done by the conversion company was utterly unsafe. They had used poor quality connectors with poor quality cable terminating. Instead of using new pins for the rear speakers they spliced into the front. The current draw on the front speakers was much more than rear speaker cable could cope with and as there was only a couple of strands of copper connected the cable did what it did. Pictures of the before and after. I have resoldered the front speaker cables. Terminated the rear cables correctly and remade the reversing camera connections properly. A big shout out to Pauly for his help with the pins. VW Lookers have been amazing and helped me beyond all expectations and I now have a complete understanding of what is what on that connector block on the back of the stereo.

View attachment 202440

View attachment 202441

View attachment 202442

View attachment 202443

View attachment 202444

View attachment 202445

View attachment 202446

View attachment 202447

View attachment 202448
@Alisdair Russell maybe a review of the business will help others.

Thanks Pauly. So off to find a VAGCOM. Do you have any ideas on the ‘codes’ etc I need to be in, just so I don’t mess anything up?
if you are in the North West then i have vcds and can enable the rear speakers for you, im in Bolton near Manchester.

Hiya @SamD and thanks for the offer. I’m up in Barrow most of the time. I’ll be heading to Wakefield on the 4th or 5th of august so will be going via your way and can call in if that’s convenient. I’ve managed to get the reversing camera working using my OBD11 but don’t know what to code for the rear speakers.

Back