T6.1 poor handsfree phone connection

The I Man

Hi all, bought my first ever VW Transporter dsg 204 lwb this year, it’s a 21 plate so feel very fortunate to own one. Only regret is that I should of bought one sooner.

Had a few mods, 30mm lower, 20” alloys, complete black pack everywhere, changed double front seat for single and had kombi conversion done with 3 rear single seats. Upgraded cloth upholstery to all leather and the rear sound proofed with oak flooring. Led lights which I love. Ready to take it to Pendle Performance to twig the engine and gearbox next week.

Bad points connecting my mobile phone to the van and using it is terrible, the poor quality of the sound is terrible, is the the same for anyone else or have I a problem?

Hi and welcome! Sounds like you have a problem with your radio/head unit

Not sure if this has been mentioned before
My Apple Car play in my t6.1 is terrible, will work for 5 minutes or so then the sound just goes all crackly and distorted, i have to either switch back to radio then apple car play again and it works or turn the volume all the way off and back on, but it will only last another 5 minutes down the road until it happens again, the journey from Edinburgh to Birmingham got quite tedious.

is getting the VW cable actually a fix to this or is mine faulty ?

Definitely check the cable, also ensure you're on the latest iOS, then try a different iPhone if you can.

You could try resetting the the head unit (long press the on/off button on the Disco units, not sure about 6.1). Also iPhone off/on.

I reckon it's probably the cable.

Hi Karl,

Unfortunately there are a good few of us with the same issue.

Hi Karl,

Unfortunately there are a good few of us with the same issue.

Any one been to VW about it ?

Definitely check the cable, also ensure you're on the latest iOS, then try a different iPhone if you can.

You could try resetting the the head unit (long press the on/off button on the Disco units, not sure about 6.1). Also iPhone off/on.

I reckon it's probably the cable.
This has been the same with 4 different phone and 3 different cables

Yep me too. Its a pain. I am hopeful that someone posts a fix or VW agree its say a software update. I have poor sound, crackling, echoing in callers ears of their own voice. I cannot spare the time to go taking it to VW for them to give me a bunch of excuses - need a test case fix and then we can all go get the same fix.

Has anyone worked out what the problem is with the hands free on t6.1

It’s like the signal just drops out but when I pull the plug and put the phone on loudspeaker it’s fine. My brother has a t6.1 as well and it’s a running joke as his is the same. Went to VW and they say it’s not a known problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same problem here, asked the dealer to fix it and after lots of trips they replaced the head unit....still no better so gave up as the dealer was useless.

Mat

Back