T6.1 Plastic underbody panels

Deaston

T6 Pro
Should I be worried about this? I'm guessing it's from all the rain we've been having, but I'd expect the van to be able to cope with it.

Anyone had similar problems?

IMG_0489.jpegIMG_0488.jpeg

Have a search on undertray, there are many problems, unfortunately replacing it with the same part won’t be a solution unless VW improve the design.

It's the undertray and they're made from the same plastic as Milk Tray chocolate boxes! Advice from my dealer was to stop driving through puddles....in the North of England!

Hi.. Plastic trim and clips won’t stand up to extreme weather ...the big issue is we drive vans that give us a sense of protection due to size and learn very quickly standing water can cause major problems...I've only seen skid plates for the front not rear and as already mentioned we have to adjust our driving ...no fun..but saves on the pocket :cry:

Reactions: DXX
Mine is smashed to pieces, underneath. I just shove it up, out of the way, so it doesn’t hang down. I’ve checked twice, and the undertray is always on back order

exactly the same
poor weak design from the shield

plastic tray n all that fine n dandy, its the pathethic tin foil shield that cant deal with any form of anything such as rain etc

bit 1.jpg

bit 2.jpg

Last edited:
So should I get under there and just pull it all off? Surely it serves a purpose?!

dunno mate

mines coming off at the weekend as its rattling n sendimg me over the edge :)
same as A pillar n/s speaker and cover
if that dont stop rattlin, thats getting ragged off n chucked out the window as well :)

theres that many rattles, if i keep ripping things off it will end up like this

1613490479388.png

So should I get under there and just pull it all off? Surely it serves a purpose?!
That foil part is part of the Exhaust heat shield and needs to go back on ...yours might be salvageable...it helps stop any burning/ scorching from the exhaust when hot ...the dealers may fit a new part unless you can remould it and clip it back in place

I ripped mine off going through quite a deep puddle at speed. As others have already stated, the fixings are rubbish.
I bought a replacement panel from VW (£75). Now avoiding puddles :rofl:

Sorry if I’m being a bit stupid. Does anyone have photos of what I need to undo to remove the undertray to fit side bars. I’m new to all this.

If the van has been lowered the risk of getting them ripped off by floodwater is higher.

Sorry if I’m being a bit stupid. Does anyone have photos of what I need to undo to remove the undertray to fit side bars. I’m new to all this.
I did mine yesterday, took me about 30 mins a side. There are some good videos on you tube, but you need an 8mm socket and small extension to remove 5 small bolts . I did not completely remove the under tray, just undid the outside edge and found it enough space to fit the brackets. You will also need to drill some small holes in the undertray to get it fitting properly after installing brackets.

Same thing happened to me today, what a shitty design, never happened on my old one, even going trough deeper water, 6.1 so gentle

0FA3504F-9C5E-4138-B4A5-1931D25B8F67.jpeg

9DFFF340-3151-46E2-8E56-5D8F49A469B3.jpeg

9B7E3764-5989-4C37-A201-BB1A091C8330.jpeg

77FA9B67-6E47-40D8-A742-472FBFE81624.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Flood 1 - Undertray 0

4Motion and Lift Kit no protection against disappointingly poor quality plastic…

Add to list of things to be done at first service next month!

Just happened to me this weekend was only doing 25 mph wasn’t even that deep a puddle absolutely rubbish
Has anyone idea on prices for replacements mines the full front near side with the heat sheild or tin foil it’s that crap

Just happened to me this weekend was only doing 25 mph wasn’t even that deep a puddle absolutely rubbish
Has anyone idea on prices for replacements mines the full front near side with the heat sheild or tin foil it’s that crap
Happened to me recently after I hit a flood in the dark which mashed the tray on the offside. Mangled the diesel heater ducts as well. Around £250 to have the tray replaced.

Back