T6.1 headunit removal tips?

WHSE

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Does anyone have experience removing the standard T6.1 headunit?

I've tried removing the instrument cluster trim and the amount of force I'm applying and some of the clips not moving has now led to me losing my bottle and giving up!

Are there any magic words of wisdom and techniques necessary to remove without damage?

Thanks

You have to get very serious to get those trims off, once you get an edge popped you can work around it with a trim tool but you will need to give it some serious yanking !!

Start at the far right and get the trim tool underneath the top corner to pop it off. After that you can ease the tool round the top or side until you can get your fingers under it, and then just yank it. As @Pauly said, it needs quite a bit of force!

If you google T6.1 radio removal a company called advanced in car technologies does a good you tube video Sorry don’t know how to do a link!!

Gulp, time to pull up my big boy pants then.

Thanks all, wish me luck!
As all the other have said I used the advanced in car video and it was my first time
But of advice make sure you don’t lose two little rubber caps behind the main cluster dash
84F2CDF8-7878-49BF-B6C2-0888A9C7009C.jpeg
BFBAA3C9-B6BD-4258-8478-1FF88198230A.jpeg

As all the other have said I used the advanced in car video and it was my first time
But of advice make sure you don’t lose two little rubber caps behind the main cluster dash
View attachment 195979
View attachment 195978

That's brilliant, thank you. I don't suppose you have a picture from the drivers side? It's the very bottom of the instrument cluster trim where the trip zero button is that I have difficulty with??

That's brilliant, thank you. I don't suppose you have a picture from the drivers side? It's the very bottom of the instrument cluster trim where the trip zero button is that I have difficulty with??
7E7ABE2D-7FEB-4055-8BDC-9AA47BDD530E.jpeg
Sorry I only have this one happy to have a chat if you need pm me your number ?
Are you planning on doing it today if so we could also video call if needed

Mine is currently off, here’s a few angles of you are trying to see where the clips are

The two either side of the button are the really tight ones

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

You have to get very serious to get those trims off, once you get an edge popped you can work around it with a trim tool but you will need to give it some serious yanking !!
T6.1 Instrument Cluster also require some serious yanking o_O

Thank you everyone for being so helpful. I haven't had a chance to try this again yet but I feel confident knowing a) where the clips are and b) that bottom section just above the steering wheel really does need a solid pull.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful. I haven't had a chance to try this again yet but I feel confident knowing a) where the clips are and b) that bottom section just above the steering wheel really does need a solid pull.

Will let you know how I get on.
Best of luck offer is always there if needed

I'm doomed with this. I have right hand side of the cluster trim loose and I can get my fingers behind. But, I cannot believe how hard I'm pulling the bottom of it and it isn't budging. I've now managed to slice my finger from pulling so bloody hard! Blood everywhere!

Back