T6.1 Aux heater problem

T6surfer

When I try and start my heater the screen lights up and displays “aux heater off’ before going off again, same with local button or remote fob.
Previously I received message that that battery was too low, but since then I have charged the battery back to full.
Since then I have tried to operate the heater without success. I tried the bottom left hand button and the 2nd one marked timer, but I cannot get past the “aux heater off’ message.
My Van is a brand new conversion only had it 6 months. I must be doing something stupid. I don’t use the heater that much as I normally use an electric heater in my awning, but sometimes like to warm the van up before we go to bed.

Does your heater run off a leisure battery or your starter battery. Are you positive the supply battery for the heater is fully charged and still in good condition. Running a battery low can damage it.
How low did your battery go.

I think it runs off the starter battery. When this occurred I was getting the message on the main vehicle menu that 2nd battery was low. I checked both batteries and found the one under the bonnet was down to 11.5v. I then hooked up a battery charger and charged it back to full. So now i don’t get any message that 2nd battery is low or that voltage is too low to start heater.
I’m not sure how I managed to cause the battery to go low in the first place, maybe I left something on. I‘ve never had the 2nd battery low message since I charged. I (I now carry a battery charger and boost starter unit as contingency but I’ve never had the 2nd battery low message since)

The aux heater runs off the leisure batteries, only the aux engine heater runs off the starter battery when the engine is running.
check your aux battery is charging properly.

Thanks, but both of my batteries are fully charged. I am away just now. I've been on hook-up since Monday, and everything is functioning okay. If leisure battery was not charging it would have been completely flat by now and I would have no lights or fridge

i have been advised that my heater just needs re-activating on from the panel. I switched on the igntion and this allows me to bring up the settings screen. When I toggle through various options one of the messages I get is is HEATER OFF with an OK dialogue. I cannot find a way of toggling it to on. I can toggle between ventilation and heat but when I exit I still get the HEATER OFF with the OK dialogue. Very frustrating

0BE1E12E-CEEC-42B9-B717-20C03AA5993E.jpeg

A9192F1D-08B5-4D66-AF8C-D1A352C0538E.jpeg

B38F8624-F65C-4ECF-A28C-17B23BCF934B.jpeg

I have exactly the same problem! Same messages ans same inability to start it despite it working last winter fine. Is there an outside temperature limit?

Both batteries fine.....

Grateful for any help on this please :)

Thanks

Hi, did you get anywhere with your issue. My supplier thinks VW may have to connect a PC to reactivate heater, like when vehicle supplied from new, I have mine booked in with main dealer next week. I’ll let you know how i get on

Wow, i know some of you guys have had not so great service from main dealers but until now I have found them to be adequate.

As I said until now. Just popped into Exeter commercial to ask about the aux heater. 3mins with service desk made me walk away saying I will go somewhere else. The techs face clearly said I don’t care, and all we can do is book it in for a diagnostic which will be at least 5 weeks. For crying out loud anybody would think I was trying to get a Dr’s appointment!!!!!!

A 60K van under full warranty and VW really don’t care.

Rant over!

Anybody else get a result please pass it on.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Heater all sorted on my Van just needed a reset with the VW laptop. Apparently it’s a fail safe thing, after loss of power, with it being diesel.
They gave the van a full health check whilst there all good.
Good service from Lookers in the Tres Valley area

FYI the main dealer confirmed that the AUX Diesel Heater is supplied from the main starter battery under the bonnet. I managed to let mine get partly discharged when I thought I was on hook-up but actually was no power from hook-up.
I was also advised that if I had to connect a battery charger, for example during, idle months in winter. then the correct procedure is to only connect to,pos terminal on battery and the neg charge lead to van chassi. This is to minimise any risk of damage to electronics module

Heater all sorted on my Van just needed a reset with the VW laptop. Apparently it’s a fail safe thing, after loss of power, with it being diesel.
They gave the van a full health check whilst there all good.
Good service from Lookers in the Tres Valley area
Quick update on my T6.1 with the same issue. I have just unlocked we the heater with a vcds. It was quite simple and save a trip to the VW Center. If it happens again i guess any kind vcds user can reset it

Mine went to main dealer twice, they thought they hadn't fixed it and it was going to need to back for a third time.. ..so I thought I would test it.....and it works fine. Clearly
just a reset was required :)

VCDS is software (and cable) that allows you to access and control vehicle information.
It’s expensive !

Pete

VAG-COM DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM.....I think.

Just had to take mine back to the main dealer for the third time. Apparently there is a VW tech notice about this issue and the fault lays in the unit reaching its maximum time limit and some voltage protection issue.....there was advice to change the running time to continuous to avoid this but this isn't an option on this unit. To he honest, service from dealer pretty awful - effectively blaming us.

So when I have time, going to have to raise a formal complaint with VW about the fault.

Back