SV Tech For Downplating / Uprating Van GVW

P

Phil_G

Out of curiosity I took my Hillside Birchover to the local weighbridge fully loaded with camping gear, some grub, two bikes on the rack and with my average-build lad as a passenger. The van is only an 84ps T26 and whilst the individual axle weights were well under limits, at 2520kg the overall weight was only 80kg short of its MPM. I'm a widower and in truth its very unlikely I would ever need another 80kg's worth of load, but I'd heard of SVTech through the T6 forum and thought I'd ring and have a chat with them. They key thing is that the fully laden T26 was well under its axle weights, and this is the basis of the SVTech engineers report to the DVLA advising them of the new 2800kg MPM (revenue weight). The entire SVTech experience was straightforward and they gave me several upgrade options, with further guidance should I need to go for an even higher MPM . In the event I went for the option of the no-mods, paperwork-only uprating to 2800kg, which cost £312. I've just got my logbook back from the DVLA with the uprated revenue weight and I'm now very comfortable knowing that I have 280kg headroom and even if the entire 200kg upgrade was applied to the back axle, it would still meet the rear axle weight. This is purely a comfort thing for me, there never was a weight 'problem' as such but its comforting to know that I'm now way, way under the van's new MPM should plod ever beckon me into a weighbridge.

I realise that most of us here have T30s and 32s, and that for a family camper the T26 would be a poor choice, but for a loner like me its fine and with the uprating its exactly the same van with a nice comfort margin. I'd certainly recommend SVTech to anyone considering an uprate, whether its springs or paperwork.

Whilst praising SVTech, I should add that the DVLA were complete numpties. At first they told me it couldnt be done as I needed to pay the extra tax for a vehicle over 3500kg (which it isnt), and sent me a form that had no relation to my request. Several phonecalls around various DVLA departments resulted in them admitting their mistake, from which point the process took 3 weeks.

SVtech one, DVLA nil.

Cheers
Phil

2800kg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, we used svtech to uprate ours - pretty straightforward process.

Yep, we used svtech to uprate ours - pretty straightforward process.
Just out of interest, what MPM did you go from/to Tombo? did you go for physical suspension changes or the paperwork option?
Cheers
Phil

Just out of interest, what MPM did you go from/to Tombo? did you go for physical suspension changes or the paperwork option?
Cheers
Phil

Ah, very long story! Short version is, we ordered a T32 and VW messed up and we ended up with a T30. So, we ended up getting air suspension to get the correct weight and axle ratings but we actually now have it registered as a 3400kg gross weight vehicle - plenty of headroom even for a fully loaded camper with five people and bikes!

@andythom188, did you get SVtech to downplate yours? Was the cost the same as that quoted above?

I have a T32, and wondering about getting it replated to T30 (more wheel choice and normal MOT) as I never have it loaded to 3200kg.

@andythom188, did you get SVtech to downplate yours? Was the cost the same as that quoted above?

I have a T32, and wondering about getting it replated to T30 (more wheel choice and normal MOT) as I never have it loaded to 3200kg.

What's different about the MOT? I've always run T32s and the MOTs are 'normal'.

Rod

PS No MOT for the Beetle.

Well non of mine have!

BUT they have always been registered as 'Motor Caravan' by the time they have come up for MOT.

You are probably correct if it's registered a 'Goods'.

Rod

Well non of mine have!

BUT they have always been registered as 'Motor Caravan' by the time they have come up for MOT.

You are probably correct if it's registered a 'Goods'.

Rod
Yeah, mine is not a motor caravan as it is a Kombi.

I would expect a T32 downrate to 3000kg would be a simple paperwork exercise, so probably the same cost as mine, £312
Just to clarify though, this doesnt make it a T30, it only changes the MPM. Mine at 2800kg MPM is still a T26.

Cheers
Phil

I have always been told the T32 has to undergo a class 7 MOT.
Technically a T32 does fall under a class7 MOT but if kombi or camper they often go through as dual purpose or motor caravan and most places will do a class 4

Capture.PNG

Technically a T32 does fall under a class7 MOT but if kombi or camper they often go through as dual purpose or motor caravan and most places will do a class 4

View attachment 26699
Good, just got a letter through the post to tell me i need to tax and do 1st MOT by end of the month. Oh when will the spending stop!

I have been trying to contact S.V. TECH by telephoning 01722 621800 (as advised by DVLC) and the message I get is that "you have dialled the wrong number, please check and dial again".
I am trying to get advice about down plating my Transporter T32 TSI Kombi Highline BMT 150HP 110Kw window van 1984cc petrol 2018. I use it as a "day van". I now only have two front seats and had the van weighed at the local public weighbridge. The ticket says the unladen weight is now 1.9800 and the rear axle weighs 700kg. I want to get the van registered as MI so that I can use normal car speed limits but the DVLA says I must get a "Plating Certificate".
Can someone explain what this process entails please and are there any drawbacks?

I have been trying to contact S.V. TECH by telephoning 01722 621800 (as advised by DVLC) and the message I get is that "you have dialled the wrong number, please check and dial again".
I am trying to get advice about down plating my Transporter T32 TSI Kombi Highline BMT 150HP 110Kw window van 1984cc petrol 2018. I use it as a "day van". I now only have two front seats and had the van weighed at the local public weighbridge. The ticket says the unladen weight is now 1.9800 and the rear axle weighs 700kg. I want to get the van registered as MI so that I can use normal car speed limits but the DVLA says I must get a "Plating Certificate".
Can someone explain what this process entails please and are there any drawbacks?
They have an online contact form, have you tried that?

Telephone​

+44 (0)1772 621800 (just rung and get their answer phone so it is working...)

Email​

webenquiries@svtech.co.uk

Address​

SvTech Ltd, Chandler House, Talbot Road, Leyland, Lancashire, PR25 2ZF, United Kingdom.

I have just tried to telephone on the landline using 44 1722621800 and 01722 621800 and both responses were "the number has not been recognised"! AAAHHHH!
I have just noticed that your number is different! I will try again.

Back