Suspension

Jan Albuquerque

Hi All
Bought my Kombi Highline couple of months ago, very happy with my ride, I did manage to save money for some wheels since then, just got a set of 20" Mayfair at wheel mania in Birmingham, van looks nice but definitely needs to drop down to have that amazing look, anyone knows how much can be dropped without affecting vw warranty?
Cheers!

Mine came from the dealership as an ex demo with 40mm springs on, so would certainly hope the warranty is still intact, since they put the springs on.

You could be right - all I know is the salesman told me they are 40's. Wouldn't be the first time they make it up on the spot.
I've seen Eibach 30's and 40's on the web, as well as H&R 40's and 50's.
However I like the B14's simply because you can set them to suit your taste.

The only official units that VW supply or can be bought from them are the 30mm Eibachs

Well in that case I guess mine are actually 30mm Eibachs, which shows that the sales guys say anything. Cheers for putting me straight @Pauly

Only ever changed a set of springs once myself. That was on the wifes XR2i before she was lucky enough to be Mrs DaveyB. Swapped out a set that made the car drag on the floor for some more appropriate ones. I used spring clamps that I borrowed from a mate. Easy enough to do, just need to ensure you keep the pressure across the clamps even, rather than ratcheting one up further than the other.

I mean someone mention that you could use some sort of clamps to lower the suspension, I reckon that is not a option...
I was checking the b14', that's exactly what I want but a bit price, found some for £ 949 supply and fit.

Mmm not too sure about that one, I'd have thought the spring is designed to operate freely, don't personally like the thought of clamping it down.
That sounds like a really good price for B14's, where are they from?

Sorry, that was £ 919 + vat from Van style... I found some coilover from Blue bird customs they are more affordable, something like £ 695 but estimated delivery 3-4 weeks... are Gaz and Prosport suspensions any good!?

Can't say I've heard of them.
I am pretty sure that vanstyle are doing free fitting at the moment.

Heard good stuff about Gaz, no personal experience though. I plan on going for Bilsteins eventually, in no rush, enjoying the comfort of stock ride at the mo, but not the body roll.

Hello every one need advise just put bilstein b14 lowered to 40 mm on t6 California with 20 inch 3dsm 0.08 wheels on rubbing on top of wheel arch when go over some bumps is this normal any abvice thanks

I seem to recall there are two types of spring clamps. The first are used to compress springs and hold them when changing shock absorbers as there is a lot of stored energy in even a partially loaded spring that is dangerous to the mechanic dismantling the suspension. The second type, and probably the ones you are referring to, we're devised by those seeking a lowered ride and were a shortened version of the first type and were used to clamp two adjacent rings of the spring to compress them. It was not unknown for the coils to then be wired together, however, you can imagine the effect on handling if (as happened occasionally) the clamping failed on a spring.

Hello every one need advise just put bilstein b14 lowered to 40 mm on t6 California with 20 inch 3dsm 0.08 wheels on rubbing on top of wheel arch when go over some bumps is this normal any abvice thanks

Whats the tyre size? Whats the wheel width and offset?

Im lowered around 70mm with 275/35/20 9" width et45. Its like Chuck Norris lubbed on Ky jelly......ie no rubbing or even close.

Question for everyone that is a T32 and lowered.....T32 suspension is meant to be able to carry greater pay load etc, so if you lower it, do you loose ability to any longer be classed totally as a T32?

I don't reckon so as they are rated as T32 springs, so even whilst they in essence shorten the available travel of the shock absorber, because the spring is stiffer, will still support the load without causing the spring to bottom out.

Question for everyone that is a T32 and lowered.....T32 suspension is meant to be able to carry greater pay load etc, so if you lower it, do you loose ability to any longer be classed totally as a T32?
Good question! I think so long as you get the correctly rated springs then it must be ok? Mine are H&R and I had to give them my axle weights.

As you say guys the as long as you fit the correct springs or full suspension for a t32 then all is well. The bilsten b14 kit they do make one for the T32. I will be fitting that onto mine .

Back