Suspension

This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway.

If I have a T32 and I don't plan to carry large loads in it, then do I need the T32 springs or coil overs?

I can't think why I would, all I would need to do would be notify a buyer when I sell it. As I'm thinking the B14 (but T30) set up is the way forward, I'll keep the T32 springs and shocks then put them in with the sale (whenever that might be).

Have I missed some LCV law?
Hi, you are basically taking about downplating. This is a fairly common thing when vehicles are unlikely to be used at the max carrying capabilities.
Vehicle weights explained - GOV.UK
Check that link out.
Cheers

Be careful if changing more than just springs as T32 has different (double) fixings on suspension

@Montecha , think it's another minefield. The point for the authorities etc would be that the vehicle is designed to carry its weight limit, and is also authorised to, therefor, unless the load rating is downgraded by an authority, and registered on the V5, you might be tempted to overload the new suspension at some point. This is like downgrading a 13t lorry to 7.5t so would suggest same procedure? It's also like saying that because I don't use it as a van, it doesn't need commercial tyres.. It doesn't matter what YOUR use is, more what it's intended use is.

Sorry @Thogg , and @Pauly , crossed in the ether :thumbsup::whistle::whistle::thumbsdown::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Just put t3o rear springs on my t32 and it defently drives better . The fronts are the same rating but the legs have stronger fixings at the bottom so you will need to use the correct legs for hubs. I have just fitted standard VW rears but they are 3mm thinner than the t32s .
I will never run my van near the t32 limit and will refit the other when I sell it.

Just remember to inform your insurance, otherwise you will have invalidated it.:thumbsup::whistle::whistle::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Thanks folks!

I'm going to pursue the down plate route. I ended up with this particular van as it had the spec that I thought I wanted, DSG, dual Captain Seats, Sat Nav, Rear Camera etc etc, I'd looked at a few manual T30s - but saw this DSG one and jumped in feet first - without really getting the nuances of a T32 vs. T30 explained. Bit of a case of I didn't ask enough questions vs. dealer didn't think to explain.

While I'm the owner it's never going to carry more than a few bikes, and camping gear. I want a reasonable ride and don't want to go to the higher rated rims & tyres if I don't need to. Everything tells me keep it all legal pay the cost of down plate and move on!

Let's see where this little journey takes me

Just put t3o rear springs on my t32 and it defently drives better . The fronts are the same rating but the legs have stronger fixings at the bottom so you will need to use the correct legs for hubs. I have just fitted standard VW rears but they are 3mm thinner than the t32s .
I will never run my van near the t32 limit and will refit the other when I sell it.
@Keeff ,are the t30 Springs a straight swop for the t32 ones .

IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1425.JPG. Lowered on b14 bilstein to 40mm rubbing on top of arches when go over bump don't want higher any advise thanks

Tyres are too big. What size you running? 275/35/20 on mine and lowered around 70mm on b14. Not a squint if rubbing.

@Lee power , keep an eye on where it is rubbing, and repair any paint damage, as otherwise you will have corrosion, if needs, just put clear lacquer over any davage as a temporary measure. ;):thumbsup::whistle::whistle:

Wrong offset maybe, had same tyre size on T5 with Range Rover sport alloys and lowered on VMaxs, no arch rubbing.

Didn't think those 3sdm's were load rated :whistle:

Check your offsets, if your off set is totally different (pushing the wheel further from the hub) changing the tire to one with a slightly lower profile most likely won't resolve the problem.

Back