Sun Canopy

We've got the Wild Earth Sun Canopy for our T6 SWB and its great, so easy to put up/down, packs away very small (and we have it in red to match the 'theme').

Think it was about 90 quid, so the cheaper end of the market (but quality is fantastic)

Outdoor Revolution Cayman Sun Canopy

We purchased this with the front and side panels . The panels just Velcro in should we need a side to cook it's nicely made but with it all loaded is the same as carrying a an awning all in weight is 14kg

i found with the Van parked in only one position / direction you don't get a lot of shelter from the sun so the sides come in handy...... it might have some uses in the summer but no added storage space in a canopy and you have to take it all down to pop to the shops...

so we brought a small drive away Cayman awning lol

pole type if there 2 people and is cheaper

But would say air beam single handed

15 mins to put up the awning

5C7892E6-B3EC-48CF-ACFE-428D5CD449FB.jpegThis is the debus setup on a C&MH club site with the van parked in the centre of the pitch (I extended the guys to just reach the edge of the grass) Also use this on the tiny C&CC pitches when the drive away awning won’t fit (and they are tight about going in the grass). I must say I love this setup, so easy and packs down so small, the canopy material is really good as is the entire package, I have managed to break one of the linkages between one of the poles though. Very versatile piece of kit

With so many awnings to choose from i would say if the whole front panel unzips you can lift this and use 2 poles and you have your sun canopy the Cayman only has side opening doors

JFYI the figure of 8 poles for the drive away leak / drip water onto the slider step with the slider open i cant find a rubber connection block to join the poles 4 x 1 meter poles grrrr

Outdoor Revolution Cayman Sun Canopy

We purchased this with the front and side panels . The panels just Velcro in should we need a side to cook it's nicely made but with it all loaded is the same as carrying a an awning all in weight is 14kg

i found with the Van parked in only one position / direction you don't get a lot of shelter from the sun so the sides come in handy...... it might have some uses in the summer but no added storage space in a canopy and you have to take it all down to pop to the shops...

so we brought a small drive away Cayman awning lol

pole type if there 2 people and is cheaper

But would say air beam single handed

15 mins to put up the awning
This looks perfect, exactly what im after! Thank you :)

JFYI the figure of 8 poles for the drive away leak / drip water onto the slider step with the slider open i cant find a rubber connection block to join the poles 4 x 1 meter poles grrrr
@Mud Digger. It probably won't help you but it does make me feel a tiny bit better to know that I'm not the only one - using several lengths of figure 8 together is plain and simple a pain in the 4rse and I suspect the only solution is to source a single length which would have it's own issues. I reckon there's a good market out there for somebody who can crack the problem.

Thanks Both,

The Kiravans does attract me, although it does seem larger than what I want, and more expensive than I would like to pay.

The Debus also looks good, and the price is attractive. However, at 3m wide (or deep, depending how you look on it!), it is much larger than we need. By comparison, the large cassette awnings which we have had on previous vans, I think only extend to 2.5m maximum, and you can have them shorter by simply not extending them fully. We think a 2-metre width version would be quite sufficient for our needs. I spoke to Funky today, and they confirmed there wasn't really any way of making the canopy narrower in width, other than putting the poles through the halfway holes and hanging the extra material down the front of the poles. Which might be useful sometimes, but not if we want to watch the world go by!

The chap at Funky did sound a bit nonplussed - I don't think the question had ever been raised before!

If you put the poles in the middle/halfway holes and extend them to full height it will make a bit of an A frame and reduce the width a little while still not blocking the view entirely if you extend the guys fully (that may defeat the purpose though I guess). Are there not similar basic canopies on the market that are not as wide though?

Lots of deliberation and comparisons of videos and reading of Forum threads later, we've decided on a Debus canopy - the posher polycotton version at £132. Liked the Railsail, but at twice the price (with guys and poles taken into account), we found it hard to justify, and probably better than we need. Also, very dark, whereas the Debus seems likely to keep the direct sun off but still allow some diffuse light in. Never having been 'awning people', we feel it's probably best to start modestly and work up to a Railsail later, if we find the Debus inadequate.

Will report back after use. In the meantime, many thanks to all for your advice (and the useful photos) - much appreciated.

P.S. Railsail currently on offer from Kiravans at £201 - 15% off normal list.

Thanks Both,

The Kiravans does attract me, although it does seem larger than what I want, and more expensive than I would like to pay.

The Debus also looks good, and the price is attractive. However, at 3m wide (or deep, depending how you look on it!), it is much larger than we need. By comparison, the large cassette awnings which we have had on previous vans, I think only extend to 2.5m maximum, and you can have them shorter by simply not extending them fully. We think a 2-metre width version would be quite sufficient for our needs. I spoke to Funky today, and they confirmed there wasn't really any way of making the canopy narrower in width, other than putting the poles through the halfway holes and hanging the extra material down the front of the poles. Which might be useful sometimes, but not if we want to watch the world go by!

The chap at Funky did sound a bit nonplussed - I don't think the question had ever been raised before!
i was not impressed with just a canopy as a standard size canopy sun shade .. it needs sides @ the height of summer and lager area would be slightly better it all depends which way the van is sitting on a pitch less you have twin sliders for the canopy to work to be in a lot of shade nose south sun goes under canopy till afternoon you get a hour in the afternoon then the sun is west from the van .... the shade shadow in not in line with the slider

so brought the cayman canopy set was ok till i had to load up everything just to go shopping.... so i brought the Cayman awning lol but happy now
but a over head door would be nice to make into a canopy .... so another awaning purchase needed at some point lol

this has everything Outdoor Revolution Movelite T3E Low Driveaway Awning 2022 | Motorhome Awnings | Norwich Camping

1651070674885.png

Reactions: CAB
i was not impressed with just a canopy as a standard size canopy sun shade .. it needs sides @ the height of summer and lager area would be slightly better it all depends which way the van is sitting on a pitch less you have twin sliders for the canopy to work to be in a lot of shade nose south sun goes under canopy till afternoon you get a hour in the afternoon then the sun is west from the van .... the shade shadow in not in line with the slider

so brought the cayman canopy set was ok till i had to load up everything just to go shopping.... so i brought the Cayman awning lol but happy now
but a over head door would be nice to make into a canopy .... so another awaning purchase needed at some point lol
I've just bought the cayman canopy with front and sides more for weekend trips where I know I will not be moving. I have a Vango cove for longer trips which am happy with. How do you find the cayman canopy to put up and does it stand up to any wind at all? Obviously would not expect it to withstand gales, but on videos it did seem a little flimsy!

I've just bought the cayman canopy with front and sides more for weekend trips where I know I will not be moving. I have a Vango cove for longer trips which am happy with. How do you find the cayman canopy to put up and does it stand up to any wind at all? Obviously would not expect it to withstand gales, but on videos it did seem a little flimsy!
Where did you buy it from? I cant find it in stock anywhere. the side and front panels are available but not the canopy itself :(

the canopy is very good with 1 , 2 side or the front on too perfect for a couple of days un load the van and fishing gear no need to drive away

take the sides or front down during the day very versatile ........ Nice bit of kit an the poles are strong / heavy think ours came from winfields but i just looked out of stock pre order @ world of camping if that helps

Last edited:
its not over flimsy but it is a canopy ...and for summer use ...... once pegged down no worse than a light weight awning

Well after a bit of trying, I've managed to source a single (2.4M) length of Figure 8 at a decent price. I've been searching on and off for a while but every option that I found involved paying a lot of money to ship a £10-15 piece of plastic because it was so long. Anyway, yesterday morning i did a more thorough search and made a few phone calls. The first firm quoted £32 to ship a £14 item, the second quoted £40 for the same thing (at £12.50) and the third £80 (but they did have the good grace to apologise profusely!). In the end, I found another firm who only wanted £12.50 to post the £12 strip. I placed the order on-line and it all went through but I half expected to get a message cancelling the order as they had made a mistake. Instead I got a delivery notification telling me that it would arrive via FedEx before 1800hrs today and the Fedex tracking system confirms that it's on it's way. I just hope that it solves the leaking issues and that I can find a way to stow it in the van (but I have got a few ideas about that). I'll report back after we've had a chance to use it but, in the meantime, if anybody else is interested (@Mud Digger?) here it is:

Well after a bit of trying, I've managed to source a single (2.4M) length of Figure 8 at a decent price. I've been searching on and off for a while but every option that I found involved paying a lot of money to ship a £10-15 piece of plastic because it was so long. Anyway, yesterday morning i did a more thorough search and made a few phone calls. The first firm quoted £32 to ship a £14 item, the second quoted £40 for the same thing (at £12.50) and the third £80 (but they did have the good grace to apologise profusely!). In the end, I found another firm who only wanted £12.50 to post the £12 strip. I placed the order on-line and it all went through but I half expected to get a message cancelling the order as they had made a mistake. Instead I got a delivery notification telling me that it would arrive via FedEx before 1800hrs today and the Fedex tracking system confirms that it's on it's way. I just hope that it solves the leaking issues and that I can find a way to stow it in the van (but I have got a few ideas about that). I'll report back after we've had a chance to use it but, in the meantime, if anybody else is interested (@Mud Digger?) here it is:
Thanks @Ayjay that's a great find, well done ... sorts out another problem .. i ll get one and trim it down so the join crack drip is not in the slider area.... it's a poor weak link in drive away awnings ...

regards Nick

Where did you buy it from? I cant find it in stock anywhere. the side and front panels are available but not the canopy itself :(
I ordered from Leisure Outlet. It wasn't in stock but leisure outlet are saying they expect stock first week in may and as it was cheaper than anywhere else at 80 quid I took a chance! Its now disappeared from their website so I checked and seems they have sold their allocation so I got lucky I think!

I've just noticed Outdoor revolution introduced this one for 22, which also looks good. I am now torn as to whether this may be a better option as its driveway and works out cheaper overall than the canopy. Damn!

Back