Stopping luggage falling out of the back when opening the tailgate

Javelin

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie - joined the forum in the last couple of weeks, having got my first van, a T6.1 Caravelle in Starlight Blue (pics on the newbie thread).
This is probably a newbie question: we’ve taken the van on it’s first proper holiday trip today, and packed quite a lot of stuff, whilst trying to leave plenty of space in the middle for two teenage boys and two cocker spaniels. When we stopped for a break, and opened the (electric - nice, but slow) tailgate, quite a lot of stuff fell out! I’ve been looking for some kind of luggage net or guard, to stop this happening, and not had much luck so far - I’d really appreciate hearing from forum members how you’ve tackled this problem - I’m really hoping that I’m not the only person to whom this is happening!!!

Cheers!

Did you find anything? This is the exact problem I’m having. I came from a 1st Gen XC90 with a split tailgate, and that was great at having a low-down vertical piece that would keep (most) stuff in when you opened the tailgate. On the Caravelle, I find stuff shifts around and invariably falls out when the tailgate is opened. Finding myself wishing for an opening top glass or split tailgate, but a net or something could also work.

I have seen yesterday an accessory online. It’s Oem boot separator preventing things falling out when opening the tailgate. Can’t find it though. There is one on e any for sale at the moment for 180quid and one for 150. Can’t find it though!

I pop the headrests up and use bungees to hold stuff in.

Also some cheap eBay big duffle bags that you can stuff smaller bags in and then have a few big things stacked up really helps.

Challenge with the Caravelle is finding places to fix stuff if you don't want to be drilling into the swish interior...

One option I want to explore is you have the two roof mounts for the load net in the root, an appropriate sized bolt head and a small block would mount in them and provide an upper point for a net.

The rear lashing eyes are a bit inboard of the tailgate but a reasonable size cargo net (maybe a trailer one) on those, then pack the rear, then hook on to the headrest rods would work reasonably well.

We're away for the weekend, shame I didn't see this thread 2 hours ago I could have taken a pic of the back of ours...

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie - joined the forum in the last couple of weeks, having got my first van, a T6.1 Caravelle in Starlight Blue (pics on the newbie thread).
This is probably a newbie question: we’ve taken the van on it’s first proper holiday trip today, and packed quite a lot of stuff, whilst trying to leave plenty of space in the middle for two teenage boys and two cocker spaniels. When we stopped for a break, and opened the (electric - nice, but slow) tailgate, quite a lot of stuff fell out! I’ve been looking for some kind of luggage net or guard, to stop this happening, and not had much luck so far - I’d really appreciate hearing from forum members how you’ve tackled this problem - I’m really hoping that I’m not the only person to whom this is happening!!!

Cheers!
Welcome send me a picture of your van with the tail gate open please so I can see what you have it haven’t got to fix too
I have a cargo net across the back of mine works perfect
Plus also if needed I use the same fixings for a internal thermal screen that I had made
Happy to share ?

We're away for the weekend, shame I didn't see this thread 2 hours ago I could have taken a pic of the back of ours...
I did a post on my tinkering thread about how we pack as we packed on the way back in case it's interesting.

Will try and remember to add one when we do the big Scottish roadtrip and really squeeze everything in.

Last edited:
Back