Stitches & Steel Carbon Fibre Awning Pole Spikes

SENTINEL

T6 Guru
Has anyone else had this problem? The S+S CF Awning Poles have very short, stubby "spikes", well actually they are threaded bolts with a plastic cap over the thread, but our problem is that by the time you have awning and guy line on there is a great likelihood that they will come off. The latest S+S photos shows similar poles with longer spikes, like most other poles have, but if you go through their website you can still see the "short type". When I contacted them initially I was advised that this is what they "normally use".
Photo of ours below -
Yes, we can remove the stubby bolt spikes and make up some replacement longer ones, and I am still trying to sort this out with S+S but so far without success! Not really very happy as these are not cheap....
So, just wondered if anyone else has had this problem or is it just us?

pole end.jpg

pole end 2.jpg

what happens if you undo the nut
Undo the nut to remove the short bolt that is within the rubber cap. The bolt passes through a washer, then the rubber cap and is secured with the nut on the outside. We have experimented with one of the poles and replaced this short bolt which only measures approx 2cm, with a longer rod which we have threaded at the base so that it can be secured in the same way. We used rod rather than a threaded bolt so as to reduce friction from the actual thread on the guy line and awning.

pole under cap.jpg

Normally for awning poles like this I bring the guyline under the awning round the pole and then over the top onto the spike that way the guy rope is always pulling down on the tarpaulin and won’t slip off

Normally for awning polls like this I bring the guyline under the awning round the pole and then over the top onto the spike that way the guy rope is always pulling down on the tarpaulin and won’t slip off
Not sure there is enough room with these short stubbies....only 2cm and would depend a lot on the thickness of the awning eyelet. Our other poles have spikes of at least 4cm. Are you using the same poles with the stubby spikes?

Not sure there is enough room with these short stubbies....only 2cm and would depend a lot on the thickness of the awning eyelet. Our other poles have spikes of at least 4cm. Are you using the same poles with the stubby spikes?
It was just a suggestion where I have had similar poles with short spikes it worked, I wondered if you had given it a try?

It was just a suggestion where I have had similar poles with short spikes it worked, I wondered if you had given it a try?
All suggestions welcome...I just wondered if others had encountered the same problem. One of our tarp awnings is particularly thick at the eyelet and seems to attempt escape from the spike....I don't think that the guy line would go over that as well.

Undo the nut to remove the short bolt that is within the rubber cap. The bolt passes through a washer, then the rubber cap and is secured with the nut on the outside. We have experimented with one of the poles and replaced this short bolt which only measures approx 2cm, with a longer rod which we have threaded at the base so that it can be secured in the same way. We used rod rather than a threaded bolt so as to reduce friction from the actual thread on the guy line and awning.

View attachment 81569
probably what you have done is the best route to go down why do they skimp on a bolt 30mm longer and it would be no problem and cost an extra 50p

probably what you have done is the best route to go down why do they skimp on a bolt 30mm longer and it would be no problem and cost an extra 50p
Yes, I agree, but then they would have to sleeve the thread to stop any damage. Not a problem really as sleeved ours with some plastic tube and also covered the nut with a grommet. Just rather annoying as these poles are quite costly and means a bit of messing about to get them right.

I’ve removed the nuts on mine. Guy rope is attached to the eyelet on the railsail and the bolt pokes through the eyelet too. Just like @Loz has described. Never had any issues :thumbsup:

Back